Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

A Structured look at Pirates! 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt-JakBlak
Swabbie

193 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: A Structured look at Pirates! 2 Reply with quote

Ok, first off, I've been drooling about this more and more since Feburary is starting to show over the horizon. I wanted to take a look at what little we know from the tidbits posted by Firaxis. With that in mind I've decided to dissect each and every word to try and extrapolate on what their inner meanings might be. So first off here's a quote from Sid himself:
Sid Meier wrote:
I think we want to build on the strengths of the original game, certainly the idea of a wide-open world where you can go anywhere and choose your path: are you going to be a noble pirate that upholds the honour of the king, or are you going to be a scurvy pirate and grab any ship that sails by?

And another quote from Gamebryo:
Gamebryo wrote:
The game will also carry on with the great design simplicity tradition of the award-winning original while adding more challenging and exciting battle options, and deeper and more varied role-playing experience, including multiple paths to a wealthy, happy retirement.

Ok, what do they have in common? Well, specifically, I'd like to point out that both state that the your path in Pirates! 2 isn't a set one. It will be up to you to determine which path you take. Sid gives us some examples of what those paths could be; ie. noble pirate or a scurvy pirate. I hope that there are more unclassifiable than that, but it gives us a start. In the original Pirates! you basically had to be aligned with at least one nation to become a happy retired pirate in the end. Maybe now you'll be able to truly be that notorious pirate, ala Blackbeard, and retire without ever gained a rank under a nation. With that in mind, there must be more to being a pirate than just sailing around and capturing ships and plundering towns. Can you, for instance, plunder a town and appoint a pirate governor? That way you'd have a safe-haven when you need to restock and sell those frigates you just captured. Would anyone just play as a Pirate to try and wipe all the nations out of the carribean, and become the Pirate King of the Carribean? That would be interesting, and quite fun to try. As for being the noble pirate, now that is closer to what I played in the original. That also has some interesting possibilities. You might become be given missions to clear out safe-havens for pirates, like Tortuga. Or the more classical mission of bringing in a notorious pirate or high ranking enemy sea captain.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is what different paths to a wealthy retirement would you like to see?
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the more variations there are for paths to take, the better tha game will be. Having such an open game allows for greater playability and lastability, as you could try something new every game.
That was a major thing for me with the original. Because no two games were alike (probably why I don't really like platformers), you could keep playing what seemed like a new game each time.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: