Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Locating Raymondo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Locating Raymondo Reply with quote

This must have been brought up LONG ago but I just can't remember reading it. The general rules for finding Baron Raymondo.

1. I don't pay the Mysterious Stranger 1000 gold for info on my missing relative. I can get this info for free elsewhere.

2. I usually find where Raymondo is by visiting the Jesuit Mission. They will tell you for free and you can sell them some food for 10 gold per ton.
If Raymondo is in Vera Cruz, Villa Hermosa, Campeche, Havana, Florida Keys, St. Augustine, Grand Bahama, Nassau or Eleuthra I re-load the game with "Arrival" to re-enter the Mission and have the Bishop give me another answer with Raymondo closer by. This saves a LOT of time in the game.

3. When I dance with an attractive daughter, if I don't know where Raymondo is I will dance as best I can and go for the "dip" so she will tell me. Once again, if Raymondo is not south of Cuba I will re-load the game. If I already know where Raymondo is, I will intentionally make mistakes when dancing and just get the "hand kiss" so she will give me a gift.

I assume other players follow this strategy
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Locating Raymondo Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

Except for reloading to bring Raymondo closer, I also do these things - including selling the Jesuits as much overpriced food as they will take!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Locating Raymondo Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

Except for reloading to bring Raymondo closer, I also do these things - including selling the Jesuits as much overpriced food as they will take!

Turn the tables on them, I say! Arr! Greedy
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reloading the game saves 1 to 2 years of game time. I hate it when I'm in Trinidad and they way Raymondo is in Vera Cruz or St. Augustine! It's not worth the effort and time to go track him down!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, I just go about my business capturing cities and ships until he gets closer. Sailor
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the objective of the game was to rescue your relatives and defeat Monty - everything else is extra credit. Sometimes I just play to do this and see how young I can retire - if I can retire in good or fair health then it is very successful. Other times I go for 126 points.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right.

Well, at this stage we diehards are looking for new ways to keep it interesting. Sometimes I think of Montalban as a mere obstacle to be overcome while I'm still young and quick. Now that I think about it, solving map puzzles is one of my favorite parts of the game, and I tend to use partial maps and cross swords with Monty less frequently.

Youngest 126 Challenge is one.

My Marooned Challenge is another.

Accumulating Ships of the Line.

I also did a list of islands by acreage, so that you could imagine your piece of the pie if all of your real estate holdings were on one island.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best part of any game is the start. Sometimes I pick English in 1660 and do not head into Barbados. I immediately head south and go after the Treasure Galleons. I can usually capture one and sink it, keeping the gold and then capture and keep a second ship. One time I sank two Treasure ships and captured the third one. This is with only the 41 to 45 pirates they give you at the start.

If Spain is not at war with at least two countries I re-start the game.
Mad Jack of the Red
Swabbie

2137 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Salty Dog restarting the game violates the spirit of the game. That is gamesmanship of the worst kind Evil or Very Mad. Dealing with the Jesuits is Kosher (What? Huh?). Wink
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to agree with what you are saying and I played that way for well over 100 games. After that, I wanted to speed the game up. Doing as I sugggest cuts about a year off the game length and I think it makes the game more interesting. The best part of the game is the start when you are young and weak and then when you take over Monty's hideout.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it both ways. At this point, anything that keeps us playing works for me.

Edit- I don't reload myself, but sometimes I get board and never finish.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of only two circumstances that typically cause me to reload:

1. When I forget to do something important while I'm in port - like sell my extra ships - I will immediately replay the port visit. But if I've had a successful dance during the port call I might just drag the extra ships with me instead of reloading and having to repeat the dance.

2. When there is a major glitch with the game - e.g., my ship is stuck and can't move no matter which way I turn - I reload.

The major exception was in my one attempt at Swash, when I was a little to old to defeat Monty in his hideout. I replayed the assault on his hideout at least half a dozen times. But since I failed every time I did not really profit from the reloads - apart from gaining some extra fencing experience against Monty. (I finished that game with 125 points. I'm not sure how I picked up the extra point - probably a rounding error.)

I had not thought of abandoning a game at the start if conditions are not optimal, but I might do that in the future. If I'm not starting as a Spaniard, having at least two nations at war with Spain might be a reasonable condition for continuing the game.
Mad Jack of the Red
Swabbie

2137 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reloading was, is, and will always be the worst form of Gamesmanship. Mad

That being said, dealing with the Jesuits is "far more economical" . . . and it works! Wink
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Roland Rusty Edge and Salty Dog on this.
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Gamesmanship? Reply with quote

If the game was not purposefully designed with obstructions to play that are not reasonable or realistic situations then using such tactics as replay to make the game reasonable is justified.

The fact that the first location given for each and every Evil is on the opposite side of the gaming map is written into the code intentionally, not a randomized or realistic function. If the daughter was recently taken then the Evil would not have had time to get to such a distant location, they sometimes take hundreds of days to get to a location that is not that far from their starting point. Intercepting Evil by anticipating the route taken in direct sailing would sometimes shorten the time. Starting at the destination point given and sailing directly to the city cited as the Evil starting point should allow interception along the route.

Using storms to interfere with sailing actions, a real irritation when they are obviously targeted by the programming. Using clouds to obscure navigation hazards, putting crescents of rocks in shipping narrows or ports is not random or realistic.

If this game was honestly designed, ie, more like reality then the use of reset would not be required to finish without multiple mutinies, and prolonged life spent sailing from one end to the other intentionally set to make such obstacles to success prevent success.

Sid's playbook for this game was to make it as realistic as possible. Every development statement made by him enforces this intention.

The fact that Sid sold his rights to the game is consistent with a falling out between Sid and Atari, due to the Mario style corruption of his game. As many ITs in the gaming community have observed a lot of the programming is amateurish and poorly designed, as are the abundance of bugs that make play irritating.

In response to the value judgment I hold that using every trick available to the gamer is justified by the antagonistic programming that is intentional and simple-minded attempt to add challenge to an otherwise incomplete Sid Meier pirates game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: