Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

We need to become more popular!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Suggestions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:
Mr. Blue wrote:
And so Pirate and Roland, in a desperate attempt to make the site more populous, resort to thread necromancy, and we swell our ranks with the dead.

I do not mind having my old Posts brought back to life - as long as they do not start chasing me whilst trying to eat me.

Quite right. They should chase you first, then eat you, not at the same time. We don't want the poor things to choke.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mr. Blue"][quote="sparticus"][quote="Mr. Blue"]And so Pirate and Roland, in a desperate attempt to make the site more populous, resort to thread necromancy, and we swell our ranks with the dead.[/quote]

I do not mind having my old Posts brought back to life - as long as they do not start chasing me whilst trying to eat me.[/quote]

Quite right. They should chase you first, then eat you, not at the same time. We don't want the poor things to choke.[/quote]

Well certainty most of you'uns have been a part of this community longer than I'se has but it does appear that I found a home amongst people who appear at times to be three cards shy of having a full deck like me. As my little girls always say [Your silly da da] so can the same be said here.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: I'm a thinking Reply with quote

As long as both posters and lurkers are around the site admins will keep it alive. But what ultimately keeps it alive is a core of old and new doing mods that keep the game alive and evolving. Jlangsdo made the East Indies mod, AdamMillt made the challenge pack, Mandiouscreel made the females with legs. From that Pirate made the Asian Invasion and I added to that. I'm working on a top 10 female pirates and Ching Shih mod. Its when people that provide mods and input (forgot to mention Dogcigar with the pirate rank) leave that a void is created. Jlangsdo had a kid recently so he toned back but I hope is still around. Adammil stills pops in now and then. I thought Dogcigar had moved on but thankfully not. Last I knew mandiouscreel set off to work on animations and hasn't been heard from since.
Its the support we provide each other to continue to evolve the game that keeps it going.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

Realized I forgot to mention Amaroy, Red Rabbit and Pirate posting new textures as well.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be nice if mods could still be uploaded here. I know that probably aint ever going to happen again but the site would benefit from it did. Not every stranger who wanders alone and stumbles on this site is going to bury their heads into the forums looking for mod links. If that section of the site still worked right and people could see new stuff coming in it would be a big boost in the right direction.
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: More popular? Reply with quote

In my opinion guidance in how to make this game less SuperMario Pirate would be very helpful in resurrecting a game that Sid did not design nor intend to be sold under his name. Atari is the reason for the stupid gimmicks, the game designers just don't know any better than what they are used to putting into games for adolescents. Firaxis and 2k didn't do any better by leaving this such a buggy game that it is irritating to play.

When you look at Akella's Pirates of the Caribbean 2003, about the same time frame as this release that game is far superior in graphics, action, realistic game play and selection menus.

If the people who have found ways to mod the exe would provide instructions on how to get into the parts that can be changed to make the actions of the ships, etc. more reasonable, such as removing the stupid twisting motion of ships that make the galleons spin at 1-2 knots to present a broadside to a circling fast pinnace at 14-15 knots just 100 yards or less away, that would really help. removing the teleportation stupidity would make ship battles requiring contact between ships a lot less frustrating. As it is, getting within grape range of the Evils ships makes you suddenly appear on the deck before you've reduced the crew size to manageable size. Remove the sailing rock crescents that are placed in blocking locations, as well as the land battle "blocking rocks" that do not increase the skill level as much as hinder the play. Stop the really moronic storm clouds that are NOT randomly placed, but obviously targeted at the play ship with intent to block or degrade the ship. I can go on and on...this game plays nothing like the Sid Meier Pirates Gold which was supposed to be the basis. It plays more like SuperMario or Frogger or Donkey Kong...really? What was the targeted gamer's age? Atari has never been an adult gamer oriented developer, and this abortion of Sid's game is a prime example.

There is so much about this game that could be salvaged if only those with the skills would provide the instructions to improve the play.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times are you going to tell us this? I mean for real it's getting so old. If Pirates of the Carribean is better then I say go with that one. I don't know what else to say.
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: we need to be more popular? Reply with quote

All I can do is remind people of why this once award winning game the original Sid Meier's Pirates is a has-been with few, if any, followers is due to these glaring errors of programing and logic.

If you noticed, by actually reading, I am suggesting how to salvage the game from the Atari trash can and make this game enjoyable enough that people will once again play it for the fun.

I play it just to see if I can win in spite of all the setup-to-fail gimmicks that some sadistic programmer coded into the game. That does make the game tedious to play and I understand why most just give up and go elsewhere.

Since no one seems willing to share how to go about making changes to the exe that will fix the most obnoxious bugs I am just offering an opinion on what should be done and how to change for the better.

I have ordered a PotCarib and am anticipating using the beta update that has been made available...be interesting to see if the complaints about the 2003 version have been rectified.

I have obtained software to open the exe in the attempt to find and make the changes suggested. Problem is I cannot find the offsets cited and do not find the hex character strings that set the characteristics. I have bought versions all the way back to the 2-CD to find what is described, because some have said their 2-CD set is what is moded, without finding the 12 character ship description offered in the mod instructions.

I really doubt anyone presently involved in the forum actually have the knowledge to make exe mods cited by the earlier attempts to salvage the game. I might be wrong, but for a community of gamers this set seems to be unwilling to share knowledge and information to make the changes.

Hey, if you don't like reading the same old complaints then don't read my post. I'm looking for friendly people who enjoy sharing their expertise. This is what I am used to seeing in the science community and have grown to expect the same for other serious-minded communities.

Want to be more popular? Make this game more popular by making the changes necessary to make play not the Atari/Mario BS it is. It can be salvaged and made more consistent with Sid's original dream... we just need people working together as a team, using the expertise of the community can accomplish wonders... I've seen it done.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect your right to voice your opinion, which is why I have not said much in response to you. However, I do agree with Pirate, your constant complaining is just as annoying as a mutinous crew (why are they not satisfied with their small fortune of 1743 gold pieces, we have only been at sea for 257 months...).

I tried to recommend a game more in line with what you are looking for a while back, but was unsure of what exactly that was. Now that you have mentioned Pirates of the Caribbean, I say go for it. Especially since it is "so superior" to Sid Meier's Pirates!

Yes, people here have found ways to mod the .exe. Some of them have tried to help you, but most of us (especially me) have NO idea how to do what you want done, and those that might are not active on here on any regular basis. Unless they enter a Skype call, or a Google Hangouts chat where you can share your screen and they can walk you through it (hopefully doing their best Indian accent), I do not know what else you expect them/us to do for you. They told you what they did, if you cannot replicate it then it is not their fault.

This core community (those of us on here every day) are here because we still love this game after 12-29 years (depending on which version you play and how long you have played it). We love it for what it is, and not for what is is not. What you call "cartoonish", "Mario-like", "stupid", and "inconsistent" (among other things) most of us call "fun" and "nostalgic". Is it perfect? Not by a long shot. Are there aspects that annoy me/us? Absolutely. However, this game has been a constant source of entertainment for me since I bought my first copy of the 2004 remake in 2004 (wow, I have been playing this game for twelve years? I feel old). I work in child-care, and one of the children I watch (who is thirteen) loves this game as much as I do. Both of us love pirates and are well-versed in true pirate history (not the stereotypes) and we know how unrealistic this game can be. It is still fun, though. I think I speak for everybody here when I say that you can point out/poke fun of the annoying aspects of the game (as all of us here have), but if all you want to do is degrade the game for not being a true-to-life pirate simulator, then perhaps you should find a game more suited to your tastes. This community is here because we love Sid Meier's Pirates! for what it is, flaws and all.

Finally, while we would all love to find other people who love the game as we do, we are NOT employees of Sid Meiers or Atari. We do not work for 2K and it is not our job to make this game popular. As for why people "give up" and "move on", maybe it is because the original game is 29 years old. The 2004 remake is 12 years old (oh. No wonder the crew are mutinous). Old games pass out of the public eye and eventually do not work on newer systems. That is life. I am glad you were able to find a copy of Pirate of the Caribbean, I hope it is everything you want from a pirate game. If it is not, perhaps you could stalk the waters of their forums.

Fair winds and following seas,
Captain Teague: Keeper of the Code

Last edited by Captain Teague on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me if I truly wanted to make a game more popular then I would set my sights on attracting as many people as possible and in order to do that it takes creativity. I would want it to be much the way it is now. Something I wouldnt be afraid for the kids to play but at the same time it needs to be something us older folks would like as well. Hats off to the game designers for doing just that. The game is challiegeing to complete with all the things needed to be accomplished before old age makes you have to give it up. The game runs well on every computer I've played it on. That is another plus in the fact people didn't have to upgrade their computers in order to handle the game. I used to be into Combat flight simulator games by Microsoft. In fact that is the games I cut my modding teeth on. CFS and CFS2 ran well on my machines but guess what when CFS3 came out. I had to buy a better graphics card and install it in order to play it. It was the end of the line for that set of games. I myself have griped about the ship playability in this game not bring as realistic to suit my taste and it really isn't but then again since we spend a enourmas amount of time on the water getting from here to there and fighting non stop what would it be like if the ship playability was realistic. My guess is the game would have sunk back in 2004. Never going to get all things accomplished in this game if we couldn't keep our boats afloat. It's just a game designed for a broad range of age groups and that is why it's good enough to still be hanging around at all now. Most people by nature are going to jump ship to the other newer games. For modders it is the chance to make thousands of people talking about you rather then the 8 or nine you would get in a game made back in 2004. Nobody is going to get famous here now being a modder so that just leaves us with a few people who doesn't want to let the game go even if the ship ain't popular anymore. We like it and feel offended at someone calling It's designers stupid . If it wasn't for them then none of us would be here now so nuff said about that. Your negativity is really annoying when we are here because we want to be do to are positive thinking about the game. Every man deserves to state his thoughts but keep doing it over and over saying the same thing about the same stuff is well spam. How many men kicked there ladies out for nagging about the same stuff over and over. More than one you can bet. I didn't have a personal tutor to teach me to mod something. Just a high school diploma and a desire to learn how to personalize my games. Not a scientist but a red neck who has fit in with people who are far more smarter and successful than myself as well as some who aren't . I've been to the opposite side of the world and back and met lots of folks but none better then the good folks here so don't rain on the parade please.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us can agree on the following:

Trolling: Making a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Captain Teague and I (we're the moderators here at hookedonpirates) have been discussing our current situation, and we will be taking action.
In the interim, I request that our members not respond to troll posts.

Very respectfully,
fleet (moderator)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: