Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

SOTL spawning tactic
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I don't recall if I told this but I played a game once where I just kept at it until age 80. I was capturing cities, chasing Mendoza and just raising Cain all over the map. Well, I actually ended the game with EIGHT ships of the Line! Yep, I had a fleet of eight ships and they were ALL SOTLs!

What's it like dancing with those young girls when your 80 ? Maybe you don't need to keep up just fork out the cash?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great! Best part is when I catch up with Mendoza, I get to keep the girl on my ship. I am in NO HURRY to take her home. I keep her on board for many reasons! Arrow Excited
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember capturing two of them near t same time. One and then the other was coming along so I pounced on it. Never happened since that quick. It was in East Indies mod or my modified version of it. Had lots of luck capturing them in that mod more so then the carribean but maybe it's just a coincidence.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of aging though the game ain't fair. Only you age. Marry a girl when your Twenty and head back to her port when your 80 and you would see the same girl you met Sixty years ago. Not going to complain about that one and might ask the game designers if they could fix up the real girls but the bad part is if you wait until your 80 to meat up with any of those nasty men you have to fight then they are still as young as they would have been 60 years ago but not you. No more lost cities we need to mod the fountain of youth. Smile
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Speaking of aging though the game ain't fair. Only you age. Marry a girl when your Twenty and head back to her port when your 80 and you would see the same girl you met Sixty years ago. Not going to complain about that one and might ask the game designers if they could fix up the real girls but the bad part is if you wait until your 80 to meat up with any of those nasty men you have to fight then they are still as young as they would have been 60 years ago but not you. No more lost cities we need to mod the fountain of youth. Smile
It's not all that bad. Once you reach the age of 45 you stop aging, so the only two characters you have trouble with are the English Captain of the Guard and Montalban. If you're playing the game right, then you've dispatched Monty by your late 20's or early 30's so your only competition is the English Captain of the Guard. When you have to duel the English C.o.t.G you can beat him but it takes a long time going back and forth and I usually just give up cause my fingers are startin ta hurt. To avoid all that, I just sack the English cities and install a new French or Dutch Governor.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aatually iits been so long since I played the game that far that I could t remember the age being cut off at 45. Anyway to be honest I was just being silly about modding the age or the fountain of youth.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have acquired both the Medicinal Herbs and the Mystic Salve, you will reach "terrible" health at age 46. But if you take medicine as your skill and acquire both items, then you won't reach "terrible" health until age 53. (In the unlikely event you have neither the items nor the skill, you would reach "terrible" health at age 39.)

I think medicine is the one skill I've never tried. I usually take wit and charm because I need that little boost with my dancing - and quicker access to attractive daughters is also useful.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday I'm just going to sit down and see how far I an get. Used to do it but not anymore. Just fire it up mainly to check mods out and maybe if I am lucky I might occacanally play it long. Enough to reach duke status for one nation or marry one of the bd's. But not often.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: 53 Reply with quote

[quote="Roland"]Assuming you have acquired both the Medicinal Herbs and the Mystic Salve, you will reach "terrible" health at age 46. But if you take medicine as your skill and acquire both items, then you won't reach "terrible" health until age 53. (In the unlikely event you have neither the items nor the skill, you would reach "terrible" health at age 39.)

Well I know here in the real world 53 was my magic number. Had the heart attack last year and it is still downhill. B4 that I was fit as a fiddle.
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Speaking of aging though the game ain't fair. Only you age. Marry a girl when your Twenty and head back to her port when your 80 and you would see the same girl you met Sixty years ago. ...

So, just like real life?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Assuming you have acquired both the Medicinal Herbs and the Mystic Salve, you will reach "terrible" health at age 46. But if you take medicine as your skill and acquire both items, then you won't reach "terrible" health until age 53. (In the unlikely event you have neither the items nor the skill, you would reach "terrible" health at age 39.)

I think medicine is the one skill I've never tried. I usually take wit and charm because I need that little boost with my dancing - and quicker access to attractive daughters is also useful.

I almost always chose "Navigation" as my skill. I find it speeds up the game. The top priority is always speed - knock our Monty as quick as possible. That should be your top priority. Then, knock off the Suitor to the Beautiful Daughter. These are the only two roadblocks to the game.

My personal challenge is to rescue all four relatives, knock off Monty and marry a Beauty, then retire before age 30 while I still am in decent health. If I do that I am happy and consider the game a success. I no longer have to have to get 126 points to consider my game a success.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: