Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

How do I actually install and use a mod?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimli_
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: How do I actually install and use a mod? Reply with quote

So I was excited to find some downloads for some cool looking mods, as 2004 Pirates! is a big favorite of mine and I have a great deal of Nostalgia for it when my brother and I played it a bunch way back when.

Problem is, I have no idea how to actually use these mods. I have the .zip file, but I don't know what to do with its contents. I have the steam version if that makes a difference, I originally had it on the disc way back when but I doubt that I would be able to find it now. If I need a non-steam version for some reason I would just have to pirate it, though I wouldn't really mind as I've already paid for it twice in my life. Thanks!

Last edited by Jimli_ on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
fleetp
Boatswain

36002 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I actually install and use a mod? Reply with quote

Jimli_ wrote:
So I was excited to find some downloads for some cool looking mods, as 2004 Pirates! is a big favorite of mine and I have a great deal of Nostalgia for it when my brother and I played it a bunch in high-school.

Problem is, I have no idea how to actually use these mods. I have the .zip file, but I don't know what to do with its contents. I have the steam version if that makes a difference, I originally had it on the disc way back when but I doubt that I would be able to find it now. If I need a non-steam version for some reason I would just have to pirate it, though I wouldn't really mind as I've already paid for it twice in my life. Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to Hooked on Pirates!
Someone else asked the same question recently. See the answer at http://hookedonpirates.com/forwarder.html?http://hookedonpirates.com/forums/index.php?sid=5b9664924d6f4d63c3ddf9364d9f523a

Very respectfully,
fleetp
Jimli_
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, thanks for the quick response. The link you provided just takes me to the Forum Index though.
fleetp
Boatswain

36002 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimli_ wrote:
Hey there, thanks for the quick response. The link you provided just takes me to the Forum Index though.

Please accept my apologies.
Here's the information.
Most mods are in a compressed format when you download them. They'll usually have a file extension of rar or zip.
If so, you'll need a file uncompressor program to uncompress them
I recommend 7zip, it's free and works on most compressed files.
Link to download ->http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

After uncompressing the file, create a folder named custom in the pirates game folder.
I'm not sure where you have the game installed on your computer, on mine the path is
C:\program files (X86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Pirates!\custom

Very respectfully,
fleetp

Last edited by fleetp on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Jimli_
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! This is great, I've always loved pirates and these mods will help keep it fresh.
Jimli_
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and furthermore, how would you go about applying a patch to the game? Specifically for the East Indies mod. Sorry if its obvious, I'm not familiar with Pirates! modding at all.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimli_ wrote:
Oh, and furthermore, how would you go about applying a patch to the game? Specifically for the East Indies mod. Sorry if its obvious, I'm not familiar with Pirates! modding at all.

It might be difficult without experience but I did it by unraveling the information in the patch file and used a hex editer to modify my .exe or the watchamacallit that fires up the game. I did a remake or my own version of that mod that comes with the exe already patched if that is something you would be intertested in. I'm currently back in the Carribean doing a mod and having fun.

My version if you want it. There are girls in it if you like women.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ov5gasr897hbmmw/AABvnYqihgwY01cJhlgWOdwPa?dl=0
Jimli_
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the file, I'll end up using it if I can't get mine to work. I just really want it to, as I already spent about an hour and a half getting figuring out how to do it and it fails at the last step for some reason... can you tell what's going wrong here, by any chance?

Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing your following the instructions that came with the mod by using Strawberry or something like that. Not sure about doing it that way but the way I did it was with a hex editer. Hope you get it working. My .exe will work in the organial mod but it's really made for my version which is much different from the original version. The city's are different and I kept the French instead of using the Portuguese. Try making a new exe using Adamills Challege pack since you have the steam version. Then run that program on the new exe and see if that does the trick. I believe it can be found in the mods forum here.
Jimli_
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes! It seems that the method provided by the guys in the east indies thread doesn't apply to the steam version, as it worked perfectly when I used that new executable. Thanks!
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome and I hope you enjoy the new game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: