Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Savegame: Pacific Exploration / Anchored in Panama
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Savegame: Pacific Exploration / Anchored in Panama Reply with quote

Ahoy!
Yesterday I binge played Pirates! again. My mission was to besiege and capture Gibraltar for the French King (I'm a rolleplay kinda guy) in order to get my 24 Wealth points and to return to Guadeloupe to my hot booty. I steered the ship to Plage Noire to get some more men. After I recruited them from the local tavern I tried to leave the city, but the ship was kinda stuck in the port. I entered the Pirate Settlement again and immediately tried to leave it. But this time my ship was somehow stuck in the port of Tula, the indian settlement next to Plage Noire. I once again entered the village and tried to leave it, but this time I found myself besides a weird ass looking coastline ... the natives from Tula somehow teleported me to the Pacific, near Panama. So what do I want to tell you, with this big redundant text? I wasn't able to find anything similar to my issue on the internet, maybe I am the first Captain in Pirates! ever to steer his ship across the Pacific and anchor in Panama. With that being said, I want to share the savegame with you, in case you want to explore the wast and empty Pacific yourself. (I hope I am allowed to post the link to my .savegame; I made a "Hooked on Pirates" - Account only for this purpose.)

Sailor

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5m2prk8amn1oh2c/slot15.pirates_savegame?dl=0
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! This has happened to me only once in 13 years but I have seen it. Not sure how it happens. You can easily get out of this situation by reloading the game under "Battle", "Arrival" or some other earlier version of the game.

The purposed of Apprentice mode is to teach you how to play the game. Looks to me like you are doing well and are ready to move a level or two. You might want to start another game as a Journeyman. Good to see some new blood here!

I like your role playing attitude! Would you like to join in the role playing story we have going on here?
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat. My ship has gotten "stuck" before, at the small inlet east of Villa Hermosa, but never where it happened to you.
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's time to start a new game as a Journeyman. I played Pirates! some years ago, but it was hard for me back then. Last week I went to the movies to see the latest Pirates of the Caribbean and it made me hungry for some plundering. So I bought this game from Steam. I also found a copy of the original Pirates! for the NES in a box of old games I once bought from a garage sale but never really opened. But I steer again away from the topic. I'd like to join the role play story, I just don't have that much time, because I am active in 3 other Forums. But hey, maybe we can make Pirates! great again, because it seems like the community is quite small. Is this Forum still moderated? And I have one more offtopic question: do you guys know anything about modding in Pirates!? I'd love to see Austria and Romania as playable nations in this game.

Very Happy

Wish you all a relaxing day!
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you asked, the forum has two moderators, Captain Teague and myself.
Please stay on topic. Smile
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to know, nice to meet you guys !
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfredo, there is an EXCELLENT guide on how to play this game. Just click on the GUIDE button above and you will see an amazing set of instructions by a fellow named Shashan (sp?) we all read this guide starting off and it helped us a lot. After that, feel free to ask any questions since I believe we know just about everything about this game.
As for mods, look a the board we have set up here. There are a number of experts right on this board to help you out.
Great to see new blood show up!!!! Wink
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye!
I will check out the guides for sure.
Thank you very much.

I am looking forward to plunder some clumsy spaniards with you guys ! Razz
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things for you-
I see you are using a War Galleon as your flagship. That is a poor choice for a pirate unless you are just going to attack Monty's Fortress or a City and need to haul a lot of soldiers with you. If you want to attack other ships, you want a smaller, faster ship so you can catch up with them. Beginning Pirates usually choose a Sloop and then when they capture a Sloop of War, they make that their flagship. That is what I would recommend you do.

Then, start attacking the Spanish, get lots of gold and valuable ships from them. Get promoted by the other countries. The Spanish will get mad at you and send first some Sloops of War and eventually they will sent Royal Sloops after you. That is what you want as your flagship! Capture a Royal Sloop and if they send more at you, keep switching flagships until you get a Royal Sloop with lots of upgrades on it. You want the Triple Hammocks, Iron Scantlings, Copper Plating and Cotton Sails.

Once you get real good at Pirates, you will want to switch to using a War Canoe, Pinnace or Mail Runner. These are much faster and speed up the game by 2 years! They are the most fun but you need some experience before using them. You have a lot to learn and this is the place to get the good advice. Good luck!!!!
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't I go for a Ship of the Line? I used a normal sloop and sometimes canoes during my game. Still, thanks for the help and this awesome welcome.

The War Galleon in this savegame was used to rape Gibraltar. Very Happy
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changeing nations require editing the text. Ini and the exutable and of course new flags and sails
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlfredoAnaltorpedo wrote:
Shouldn't I go for a Ship of the Line? I used a normal sloop and sometimes canoes during my game. Still, thanks for the help and this awesome welcome.

I think Salty gave great advice for a beginner.

War canoes are arguably the best, although they kind of spoil my immersion in the game. They are the fastest. That saves a lot of time traversing the map over the course of the game. They are also the weakest, it doesn't take many canon balls to sink one. You should be a good fencer to use one.

I prefer the ship of the line, because I like to carry enough crew to capture cities and re-shape the map. But spawning one can burn game time, and I often settle for a frigate or large frigate.

I would say both the War Canoe and Ship of the Line are advanced strategies, and you might want to try the various other ships before you go that route. Why? because you probably won't be satisfied with other ships once you get the hang of the SOL or WC.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a larger city mod if you want to take that war gallon and sack some cities. I haven't yet seen a successful pirate attack on one. So far the militia always defeats them.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlfredoAnaltorpedo wrote:

My personal favorite is a large frigate. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own favorite.

Last edited by fleetp on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlfredoAnaltorpedo
Powder Monkey

238 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye!
Arrr ... so many tips at once.
I will definitely use Salty's advices and also check the threads in this Forum. When I have more time, I will take a look at modding itself. An alternative universe mod would be fun. Maybe I will try your "big cities mod" when I get better at this game @Pirate. I also wanted to ask, if the following is true. Does time pass faster when you are out on sea than it does when you are near cities or landmasses?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: