Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
Did it mean something that calculates, or "computes"?

Not quite. The term first arose in the context of astronomy.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Captain Teague wrote:

Ah. Then I do not know it; the earliest term I am aware of denoted someone in trade/business that did calculations, either on their own or using a device (such as an abacus). These men/devices (usually the men) were called computers. As in, one who computes.

Other than that, I do not know.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
Roland wrote:
Captain Teague wrote:

Ah. Then I do not know it; the earliest term I am aware of denoted someone in trade/business that did calculations, either on their own or using a device (such as an abacus). These men/devices (usually the men) were called computers. As in, one who computes.

Other than that, I do not know.

Yes - the person who does computations, not the device. Such computations were the main activity of astronomical science. Before the invention of electronic computers in the 20th century, human computers did the necessary work.

Your turn, Captain Teague.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha. It seems I mistyped my first response.

Anyway, next question:
What was Mozart's full baptismal name?

Wait 12 hours before googling. I doubt anybody can do it off the top of their head.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always heard it was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Maybe there is more to it.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
What was Mozart's full baptismal name?

According to Wikipedia, Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart.

Since there's no saint named either Wolfgang or Amadeus, he obviously needed an extra name for baptism. I would have guessed John, but not Chrysostom!
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, Roland is correct. Just imagine his birth certificate....

Your turn, mate.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On "Gunsmoke", Matt Dillon's closest friends are Doc, Kitty, and Chester. What are their last names? Whoever gets two out of three wins. If no one gets two, the first who gets one right will win.
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
On "Gunsmoke", Matt Dillon's closest friends are Doc, Kitty, and Chester. What are their last names? Whoever gets two out of three wins. If no one gets two, the first who gets one right will win.

No idea, these wild guesses are the things that popped into my mind.

Doc Martin
Kitty Wells
Chester Gould
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting guesses, but all wrong. Doc Martin is a shoe brand. Kitty Wells was a country singer. Chester Gould drew Dick Tracy.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an excellent question! I've watched hundreds of episodes but have no clue what their last names are. Good one!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kicking myself! I went ahead and looked. Doc and Kitty had well known last names on the show. They mentioned their names MANY times, I had just forgotten them.

Chester, on the other hand, did not have his last name mentioned many times. In fact, I never remember hearing it at all, not even once. I looked it up and that was the first time I had ever seen or hear of his last name.

As an aside, Gunsmoke started off as a radio show that ran from 1952 until 1961. The TV show ran for 20 years, from 1955 to 1975. The two media had different actors play the lead roles.

On the radio show, Matt Dillon was played by William Conrad, Howard McNear as Doc, Georgia Ellis as Kitty, and Parley Baer as Dillon's assistant, Chester.

On the TV show, James Arness played Matt Dillion, Milburn Stone played Doc, Amanda Blake played Miss Kitty, and Dennis Weaver played Chester.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
As an aside, Gunsmoke started off as a radio show that ran from 1952 until 1961. The TV show ran for 20 years, from 1955 to 1975. The two media had different actors play the lead roles.

On the radio show, Matt Dillon was played by William Conrad, Howard McNear as Doc, Georgia Ellis as Kitty, and Parley Baer as Dillon's assistant, Chester.

I'm not that familiar with the TV show, but I listen to the radio show every week. One of the local public radio stations broadcasts four hours of old radio programs from the 1940s to 1960s every Sunday night, and then the program is available on-line for the following week:
http://wamu.org/show/the-big-broadcast/
http://wamu.org/story/17/10/02/the-big-broadcast-october-8-2017/

To start the program, just click on the blue disk with the white triangle on the left side of the page, with 4:00:00 underneath. The second link includes the program lineup for the current program. Gunsmoke almost always begins about an hour into the program. Other weekly features are Johnny Dollar and Dragnet.

Howard McNear, who voiced Doc, is best known for a later TV role - Floyd the barber on The Andy Griffith Show.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK no one has looked it up so I will answer the question.

Doc's last name is Adams. In the radio show, his full name was Dr. Charles Adams, but when the TV show was set up, Milburn Stone was allowed to chose a first name and he chose the name Galen, so he was Dr. Galen Adams.

Kitty's last name was Russell. She was called Kitty Russell on both the radio and TV shows. She was initially cast as a dance hall girl/prostitute on the radio show for a few years and gradually took over the saloon. On TV, she always owned the saloon and while there are other dance hall girls in the saloon, no mention of them is made of them as being available upstairs (unlike the Salty Dog Saloon!).

Chester is much more difficult. When the radio show was written, Chester had no last name and was not considered a serious character. Chester was played by Parley Baer on radio, and by Dennis Weaver on television. Chester's character had no surname until Baer ad libbed "Proudfoot" during an early rehearsal. Initial Gunsmoke scripts gave him no name at all; his lines were simply slugged to be spoken by "Townsman". Again, Conrad's sense of what the program would be supervened, and Chester was born. Chester's middle initial was given as "W" in the June 15, 1958 episode "Old Flame", and a few episodes later, on the July 7, 1958 episode "Marshal Proudfoot", it is revealed that his middle name, as are his 10 siblings, is Wesley. The amiable Waco expatriate was usually described as Dillon's "assistant", but in the December 13, 1952, episode "Post Martin", Dillon described Chester as Dillon's deputy

So, Chester's last name is Proudfoot and I NEVER heard that last name mentioned on TV!

I will start working on the next question.... Great question Roland!!!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an easy question. The show "Gunsmoke" was the top rated show on TV from 1956 to 1961. What other Western made it to Number 1 and stayed there for years? Hint - think 1960's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
Page 421 of 894

Jump to: