Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Roland is locked out - HELP
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Roland is locked out - HELP Reply with quote

EDIT by moderator - Bottom line up front- solution was to install a virtual private network (VPN)

Message I got today from Roland...

Salty Dog,

I just made the mistake that locks me out of Hooked on Pirates. In the log-in box, I hit “OK” or “Enter” (or whatever the affirmative response is) rather than “Cancel”. For some reason, after I do that, my computer will always think HoP is “not responding”. I immediately deleted my last two cookies, hoping that might make my computer forget what I had done, but it did not work.

Bottom line: I am now locked out of HoP both at home and at work. In the past when this has happened, it has resolved itself after a few months. I’m not sure whether it just forgets after a fixed time, or whether installing Microsoft updates resets something.

In case anyone at HoP wants to investigate, I’m running Windows 7. It doesn’t matter which browser I use – the same thing happens on all of them. And once it has happened on one computer, the same thing appears to happen on any computer using that wifi or ethernet connection.

I hope to be back in a few months when one or the other of my computer connections returns to normal.

Roland

Can Anyone help Roland out? This is NOT a joke!
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By being locked out I am assuming he could access the website but can't log in? If he can't view the website at all then it must be blocked by a firewall or something but if he can't log in then it could be simple as a misspelled word or if not then I would think he could have his password or something reset to get in. I never experienced this on this website but sounds like this is not his first go around.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty,
Please contact Roland and get more information from him. Can he access the site at all from his home? Has he tried registering with a new username and password?
Can he access and log in to hookedonpirates from a place that has free wifi (such as a public library or coffee shop)?
Has he tried clearing the cache on his computer?
Have him shut down his computer, and disconnect the power cord, then press the power on button and hold it in for one minute.
Moderators here have limited capabilities here (we can't reset his password).
Salty, see if Roland is willing to give you his password. If he is please try to log in using his username and password.

Let me know if any of that works.
Once I have answers to the above questions I can contact the administrators at hookedgamers for further assistance.

Very respectfully,
fleetp (moderator)
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounds like to me he is just having trouble logging in rather than not being able to see the site at all. He could try typing in the password manually Instead of using the saved Anyway I think we can get this figured out if Roland reply’s back to Salty about the problem.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland's employer might have blocked access to the site because the log-in is not secure (can't log in using https://)

Regarding his home system, he might need to check his browser security settings.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Salty Dog has not gotten around to posting my e-mail to him from a few hours ago:

Quote:
I currently cannot access the site with any computer via my home wifi or my office ethernet. The site will not load, period. When the site’s URL is in my browser (any browser), it times out without finding HoP. It says the site is not responding. Log-in problems are not in play here because I can’t even get to the log-in screen. The problem is unique to HoP – this does not happen with any other site I visit.

I have already tried the usual tricks – rebooting my PC, restarting my router, deleting HoP cookies.

The odd thing here is that the problem is not specific to a PC, but to an internet access point. During times when I could not access the site from the office, I was able to access it from home, even with my work laptop. During times when I could not access the site from home, I could not access it with my work laptop at home any better than with my personal laptop. Based on this experience, I suspect that if I were to use a different internet connection point it might work. I’ll take one of my computers to church tonight and see if I can access the site using my church’s wifi. I’m betting that will work. But that’s just a troubleshooting step, not a solution.

I am currently at church, and, as you can see, my access is just fine here.

The first time this happened I asked my institute's IT staff about it. They claim they do not block employee access to websites. (I recently had a problem where I was blocked from accessing a website because of references to alcohol. Since I do health research - including research on poisoning and substance abuse - that sort of blocking could interfere with my job! They fixed it the next day.)
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe using a vpn will get you going. Sounds to me it has to be your internet provider blocking it or otherwise some device your using should work. I had cyberghost at one time. I don’t know about now but before it was free but you could use it up to three hours before being disconnected unless you bought the paid version.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:

I am currently at church, and, as you can see, my access is just fine here.

The first time this happened I asked my institute's IT staff about it. They claim they do not block employee access to websites. (I recently had a problem where I was blocked from accessing a website because of references to alcohol. Since I do health research - including research on poisoning and substance abuse - that sort of blocking could interfere with my job! They fixed it the next day.)

From what you've said it sounds like it's your Internet Service Provider (ISP) who is causing the problem with no access from home. I suggest you contact them.
I still believe your employer (or your employer's ISP) is blocking access from your work-place.

Pirate's suggestion of a virtual private network (VPN)sound like a viable option. I've never set one up, so I can't vouch that it would work in your situation.
Very respectfully,
fleetp
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from my Thurday night League:

I currently cannot access the site with any computer via my home wifi or my office ethernet. The site will not load, period. When the site’s URL is in my browser (any browser), it times out without finding HoP. It says the site is not responding. Log-in problems are not in play here because I can’t even get to the log-in screen. The problem is unique to HoP – this does not happen with any other site I visit.

I have already tried the usual tricks – rebooting my PC, restarting my router, deleting HoP cookies.

The odd thing here is that the problem is not specific to a PC, but to an internet access point. During times when I could not access the site from the office, I was able to access it from home, even with my work laptop. During times when I could not access the site from home, I could not access it with my work laptop at home any better than with my personal laptop. Based on this experience, I suspect that if I were to use a different internet connection point it might work. I’ll take one of my computers to church tonight and see if I can access the site using my church’s wifi. I’m betting that will work. But that’s just a troubleshooting step, not a solution.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a free vpn that seems to work ok. Maybe that is what can get Roland back into the game. I just tried it out to see if it works good and so far it seems to be. I went from being where I live to being located in Atlanta with of course a different IP address. Of course since I could already access smp anyway I couldnt say for certain that will help him but it's worth a shot as lots of folks use them to gain acess to websites banned from their country, providers, etc. Salty maybe you can pass this along.

https://www.betternet.co/
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland is still locked out. I just sent him Pirate's advice above. He has not read it yet. This is his current status:

From Roland:
Yes, I’m still locked out. The browser doesn’t matter – the same thing happens on Chrome and Firefox as on Internet Explorer. It seems to be tied to what internet connection I use. Once I trigger the problem with a given router, I cannot access the site via that particular router. If I go to a different location and access the internet via a different wifi signal, the problem disappears.

In the past, I think it has lasted around six months with respect to a particular router. I’m not sure whether there is a time limit, or whether sometimes a Microsoft update will reset something and eliminate the problem. (I once suspected it might be a cookie thing, but the last time the problem arose I immediately deleted my most recently modified cookies and it didn’t help.)
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I found a free vpn that seems to work ok. Maybe that is what can get Roland back into the game. I just tried it out to see if it works good and so far it seems to be. I went from being where I live to being located in Atlanta with of course a different IP address. Of course since I could already access smp anyway I couldnt say for certain that will help him but it's worth a shot as lots of folks use them to gain acess to websites banned from their country, providers, etc. Salty maybe you can pass this along.

https://www.betternet.co/

Thanks, Pirate! Salty sent my your VPN advice. I just tried Betternet, and it worked! So I'm back - at least for the time being!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been WAY to long! Welcome back Duke Roland!!!! Hi
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Roland! The only thing that made sense to me in your situation was a vpn since it didn’t matter what device you used it still couldn’t access this site.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippee! Welcome back, Roland!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: