Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Making textures for "rankpc" models
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a leg man, the degree of difficulty might be off the charts fencing against an opponent in boots, stockings, and garters.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some impressive screenshots. I'm certain without somebody tweeking the nif itself like getting rid of the sleeves etc this is about as good as she will look. Great job.
theincrediblenick
Powder Monkey

235 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was about 6 years ago I worked on the Sea Vixen mod, taking as a start the existing PrettyCaptain mod. I used Nifskope, Blender, and Gimp (as they're all free software) to do the work, though I pretty much had to learn them as I went. Anyone who has ever worked on modding this game will have discovered that the game files are a complete mess, as the devs didn't fully understand the concepts behind the Gamebryo system when it came to 3d models.

As I was finishing putting the mod together I started at university studying Computer Science with Game Development, so didn't have time to finish some of the smaller tasks that needed addressing. I still have a copy of all the files that make up the mod (and an .fpk) somewhere on my PC if anyone needs them.

Happy to see that people are still making mods for this game (though it was originally intended to be 'un-moddable').
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theincrediblenick wrote:
It was about 6 years ago I worked on the Sea Vixen mod, taking as a start the existing PrettyCaptain mod. I used Nifskope, Blender, and Gimp (as they're all free software) to do the work, though I pretty much had to learn them as I went. Anyone who has ever worked on modding this game will have discovered that the game files are a complete mess, as the devs didn't fully understand the concepts behind the Gamebryo system when it came to 3d models.

As I was finishing putting the mod together I started at university studying Computer Science with Game Development, so didn't have time to finish some of the smaller tasks that needed addressing. I still have a copy of all the files that make up the mod (and an .fpk) somewhere on my PC if anyone needs them.

Happy to see that people are still making mods for this game (though it was originally intended to be 'un-moddable').

I doubt I got a brain to do anything with it but I wouldn’t mind taken a look at it and studying if you want to share. Worst case snerio is what little brain the rum hasn’t rotted out will curl up and fry then nobody has to deal with me anymore.
theincrediblenick
Powder Monkey

235 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stuck the unpacked mod files on Google Drive at this link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Gq1x-tmU4_Ux1GA3JS8AwuQ1MtxVu_Y?usp=sharing
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m away from my modding base but if the link be working when I get back I will for sure check it out.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Hearty welcome back Reply with quote

Just read the thread. As you can see pirate is already in the loop and I just read it. Saw ur screen shots and LOVE the character. Several years back I wanted to take the sea vixen and mod her out to represent the different female pirates of history Ching Shi, Anne Bonney, Mary Reid, etc. At this point I got annoyed and tried to create a Universal Body Mod that could work anywhere. She has only 1 uv set so 1 paint skin works for all 3 sizes. I also wanted to get/keep the faces uniform so what-u-paint-is-what-get. Pirate tested her in-game more than I did so knows more about her flaws than I do.
mandiuscreel bought us newtimers into a new era with the legs mod. That's when I learned it is a flaw in 3DS max that was preventing successful exports, have to use a combo of 3ds max and nifskope to make it work.

On to the important stuff: for the love of Pirates PLEASE upload ur sea vixen skin she's smoki' !!!!
Does the problem ur having seem to be the sea vixen v1 nif or ur skin aligning with it?
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the animation listings in the sea vixen be removed so that it behaves like a non pc ? I’m thinking it could and wouldn’t it be nice if we had all these girls fighting as crewmen when we are fighting. I believe it was that reason that caused her to have a pistol in her hand 24 seven.
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks guys! I'm sorry I kept you waiting, by the reaction I see I should have put up my latest build last time I was on.

I'm having trouble getting an fpk put together, which I'll get to shortly, but to prevent a mutiny I've put up the basic skin here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/damut95hx94ojtq/AACv7R2WWFiK4xVegMs8oHXQa?dl=0

Please note that this is a beta release and does not yet contain all the files that it should, to wit:
The zip contains only pretty_captain.dds, player_character_body.dds, and player_head_yng.dds, all of which are designed for and intended for use with the Sea Vixen mod. (You'll get results which are either wildly amusing or deeply disturbing I can't decide which, if you use it with "vanilla" PC. ) Those of you with modding experience will know what needs to be done to use these in-game. I apologize for the hassle, and to those who don't want to mess with it and will thus have to wait a day or so more for the full beta.

Unfortunately, I seem to be having trouble figuring out how to make fpk's or something because when I tried to make one for this it would not work in game. Maybe the compression level? I used the default, which was 6.

Also, I note that Nick's .dds files are dds 32 bit, but when I tried to make 32 bit dds (with dxtbmp) I get "marble statue" in game, so I made these as dxt5.

The pretty_captain skin will also sort-of work for beautiful daughters when appropriately renamed.

Edit: Probably a good time to mention that I'm using the Steam version of SMP on a Win10 machine, in case there's some compatibility issue I'm not aware of.
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hearty welcome back Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:

On to the important stuff: for the love of Pirates PLEASE upload ur sea vixen skin she's smoki' !!!!
Does the problem ur having seem to be the sea vixen v1 nif or ur skin aligning with it?

Thank you so much, and thanks for dropping in to share some of your knowledge. I am unsure, however, which "problem" you are referencing in your question above, but if I take your meaning correctly the problem is that in order to test the "look" of a uniform skin (e.g. pc_grunt_e) I have to put it in-game and then create the appropriate situation. Which is not overly difficult to do but is quite tedious. I think I said something about lining up somewhere, but I was referring to different elements of the skin lining up with each other in the render.

My goal is to have a "seamless" mod where the look of the character doesn't dramatically change when she goes to town. I know this isn't quite possible at present without another mesh edit, which I am NOT asking anyone to do. I can make the look close enough for game purposes with the existing Sea Vixen "in-town" nifs. It would just be a lot faster if I could render as I work.
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
Speaking as a leg man, the degree of difficulty might be off the charts fencing against an opponent in boots, stockings, and garters.

Aye, and ye might have some bit of trouble keeping the lads in fighting trim with this gal aboard! I'm actually more worried the distraction will degrade the player's swordplay.
Laughing
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theincrediblenick wrote:
Anyone who has ever worked on modding this game will have discovered that the game files are a complete mess, as the devs didn't fully understand the concepts behind the Gamebryo system when it came to 3d models.

Hi Nick! Good to see you're still around, and I wish you the best of luck and success in your career.

You sure had that right, about the game files. I don't even know that much about the subject and I can tell there must be more elegant ways to do much of what the original devs have done. Nonetheless, you've achieved quite a bit already and hopefully I'll be able to build on that going forward. Many thanks for your previous efforts, and for sharing your work with us.
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
That is the best Sea Vixen I've seen so far. I made a topless version with sleeves of course since it's required she has those and what looked like blue jeans on. I liked that one too but I intended it to be a npc and I ran into animation issues that I haven't taken the time to iron out yet. Anyway I am anxious to see what you can come up with the daughters.

Thank you, glad you like her. First crude beta is up now, linked upthread.

I'm sorry that I seem to have missed this comment or something the first time I reviewed this thread. I'm confused what you mean in the last bit here; if you've a skin for Sea Vixen, you should be able to use it for the beautiful daughters, or at least the "thin face" ones (I haven't tested on "wide face"). At worst, you'd have to resize the image and make a new .dds but in most cases you should be able to simply copy/rename pretty_captain.dds to daug_beau_x.dds and you're good to go. Or am I wildly off the mark here?

Edit: Removed embarrassing evidence of dysphasia or perhaps dementia or maybe it was just the booze ...

Last edited by Sir W. Raleigh on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically I’m trying to say that using the Sea Vixen nif for a non player character rather then it’s intended purpose which more or less is you, me or whoever else is playing it poses some issues like her pistol is always in her hand etc. in other words if I swap that nif out for the English Captain of the guard then you will see these issues.
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Basically I’m trying to say that using the Sea Vixen nif for a non player character rather then it’s intended purpose which more or less is you, me or whoever else is playing it poses some issues like her pistol is always in her hand etc. in other words if I swap that nif out for the English Captain of the guard then you will see these issues.

Ah, I see. Thank you for clarifying. I seem to have thought I was in another thread when I posted my last comment.

I knew about that difficulty and iirc from last time I messed around with this stuff (which was years ago so "iirc" is a suspect assumption) the only way around it would be to re-rig the Sea Vixen mesh onto the skeleton for the desired target character. It's not surprising no one has been eager to attempt that feat to date and I'm not volunteering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: