Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
No idea, but Romance sells like hotcakes

Sorry, that is incorrect.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we are in Mazatlan. Decided to stay in board and hang around the pool. Temp is around 80 degrees and the sun is shining. Tomorrow we visit Cabo San Lucas. There was a big pirate ship in Puerto Vallarta yesterday and it was a popular party attraction. Maybe next time. Instead, we boarded Zodiacs and zipped across the big bay to a small town of Boca de Tomatlan, just south of the famous resort Mismaloya.

Once there, we boarded Mercedes Benz Unimogs and were driven southeast to see some ancient petroglyphs. THen we visited the Botanical Garden. After that we had a fabulous Mexican Lunch with Guacamole, tostadas, rice,chicken, beef, flam and LOTS of tequila!!

After lunch we visited the town of El Tuito, visited a bakery , saw the local cemetery a local woodcarver who worked with rosewood.
Drank the local beer (Tecate), drove back to Boca de Tomatlan and took the 20 minute zodiac ride back to our ship. Lots of fun!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the author a biographer?
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

No, she is not. Feels free to do a search.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

wiki has her down for romance, historical romance (which is still romance) and mystery. You shot down romance, so I assume that the answer is history.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Today we are in Mazatlan. Decided to stay in board and hang around the pool. Temp is around 80 degrees and the sun is shining. Tomorrow we visit Cabo San Lucas. There was a big pirate ship in Puerto Vallarta yesterday and it was a popular party attraction. Maybe next time. Instead, we boarded Zodiacs and zipped across the big bay to a small town of Boca de Tomatlan, just south of the famous resort Mismaloya.

Once there, we boarded Mercedes Benz Unimogs and were driven southeast to see some ancient petroglyphs. THen we visited the Botanical Garden. After that we had a fabulous Mexican Lunch with Guacamole, tostadas, rice,chicken, beef, flam and LOTS of tequila!!

After lunch we visited the town of El Tuito, visited a bakery , saw the local cemetery a local woodcarver who worked with rosewood.
Drank the local beer (Tecate), drove back to Boca de Tomatlan and took the 20 minute zodiac ride back to our ship. Lots of fun!

Thanks for the port report!
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
fleetp wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

wiki has her down for romance, historical romance (which is still romance) and mystery. You shot down romance, so I assume that the answer is history.

Crap. I forgot about her series of historical romance books. Mia culpa, your answer is one of the correct possibilities, Mr. Blue. It's your turn.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:

Crap. I forgot about her series of historical romance books.

That good, were they? Smile

Valentine's Day wasn't always a way for commercial enterprises to milk people for money. It wasn't even originally Lover's Day. How did it begin?
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
fleetp wrote:

Going a bit off topic here. I only read one of MC Beaton's historical romances. It was okay, but I much prefer her "Agatha Raisin" mystery series and her "Hamish MacBeth" murder mysteries.

As Saint Valentine was a Catholic saint, I suspect the day was originally a feast day to celebrate his sainthood.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we were inCabo Sa Lucas, where we took a nice boat ride pas Los Arcos, also known as the Arches. Then we drove down to a famous lookout of the entire bay. finally we visited the town of Sa Juan de Cabo’s and walked around the town. I head a couple ofMargaritas, of course! Life is good,
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
Mr. Blue wrote:
fleetp wrote:

Going a bit off topic here. I only read one of MC Beaton's historical romances. It was okay, but I much prefer her "Agatha Raisin" mystery series and her "Hamish MacBeth" murder mysteries.

As Saint Valentine was a Catholic saint, I suspect the day was originally a feast day to celebrate his sainthood.

Yes.

Like many early saints he was also a martyr, and also like many early saints, the Catholic church is not the only one which recognizes him as a saint. But that's just extra information. What you said is correct.
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ancient Roman holiday happened about the same time of the year as our modern Valentine's Day?

Wait 12 hours before doing a search.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feast of Lupercal. Well, that what Shakespeare thought, anyway.
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
Feast of Lupercal. Well, that what Shakespeare thought, anyway.

Correct! Your turn, Mr. Blue.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The chairman suggested we should table the proposal, to which everyone unanimously agreed. Unfortunately, the American delegates immediately found themselves talking at cross purposes with their British counterparts."

Why would the chairman's suggestion lead to people talking at cross purposes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
Page 447 of 894

Jump to: