Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Interface modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EinheitC
Powder Monkey

157 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Interface modding Reply with quote

Well hello there, stumbled upon this great place after dusting off good ol' Pirates! once again.

The last days I got into modding the game and got some adjustments (mainly higher-res textures) done. Now I had the idea to spice up the interface a bit.

Compassframe worked fine, same for the tornpaper.dds (background of the world notifications like pirate raids) so I wanted to do the mission bar. I found the three files called questframe_leftside.dds, questframe_middle.dds and questframe_rightside.dds. I changed them to look like a paper scroll just to find out that the file used by the game is apparently tbb.dds, a 64x64 px image that is stretched to serve as a box for all the message windows (when you abandon a game for example) and the questframe. If I save a higher resolution image it seems to still stretch only the upper left 64x64 pixels.

Has anybody of you tried to do some changes to the interface?

Also found some funny "game graphic" called meow.tga, see in the image below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujmm8wq3ze9fxi1/pirates_interface.jpg

Edit: fixed the link, didn't know the url-tags are obsolete.

Last edited by EinheitC on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello'

I don't believe I have attempted to mod any of those things yet. Tittle screen yes, chooseweapon screen yes, treasure map screen yes and all kinds of other stuff but not those. In order to view your image I had to copy and paste your link which is OK with me but I don't think that is what you had in mind for us to do. There are textures in the fpk packs that I feel certain doesn't really belong there just makes me wonder if somebody on the game developing team was having fun and forgot to git rid of all the junk. Anyway don't be afraid to show us your mods. If I haven't run off everybody then they must be Salty enough to handle it.
EinheitC
Powder Monkey

157 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update of the textures I made, had a busy weekend so no drastic progress. Not sure though because the paper is 100% opaque, need to sail around for a while to see if it blocks the view to much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgnscol4mwtgsfk/pirates_interface_modded.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wlwfrndnes53ut/pirates_interface_comparison.jpg

Yeah, there are a lot of textures they just played around with and just simply left in there without any use.

Oh and by the way, thanks for the welcoming words. Smile
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Hooked on Pirates. I've never modded the interface. I wish you success, and am looking forward to seeing results of your efforts.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to welcome you. I normally don’t do that. Welcome and I hope you will stick around with us.
EinheitC
Powder Monkey

157 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Sorry I forgot to welcome you. I normally don’t do that. Welcome and I hope you will stick around with us.

Oh, don't worry, I wasn't ironic but did actually feel welcomed! Very Happy

fleetp wrote:
Welcome to Hooked on Pirates. I've never modded the interface. I wish you success, and am looking forward to seeing results of your efforts.

Thanks for the kind words!
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: A Hearty Welcome Reply with quote

New faces are always welcome Very Happy shows the game lives on.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, and nice ship avatar!

I should warn you that once you go for the pirate avatars, you can't switch back to other images.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed! Stick with that awesome Avatar you have, it's a good one! Welcome aboard! Sailor
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Interface modding Reply with quote

EinheitC wrote:
... the file used by the game is apparently tbb.dds, a 64x64 px image that is stretched to serve as a box for all the message windows (when you abandon a game for example) and the questframe. If I save a higher resolution image it seems to still stretch only the upper left 64x64 pixels.

Has anybody of you tried to do some changes to the interface?

Howdy. I haven't ventured into changing the interface much other'n what you describe 'bout changing textures. I did take a quick look though and my guess (which is just that) is that there's a .nif you need to find for displaying that message box. Failing that, there may be no way to resolve your difficulty without an edit of the exe which is, of course, a no no.

If you do find the nif I suppose it might be little trouble for someone to remap it for your larger image(s).
fenirstardust
Powder Monkey

363 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: more, better, bigger, info Reply with quote

it's not clear that
Exclamation keypad_nav.tga 256X256 IS THE NAV ICONS and FRAME, it is an overly on top of 9 blue square buttons, giving the nav an appearance as blue. (to gain the OP's effect convert navkeypad.dds it is in one of the PAK and /it has/ the paper scroll background, tga has priority in loading it seems)
Exclamation button_dimmed.dds 64X64 is used for the attack button when no one is around and ???? doesn't seem to be used for anything else...it's obnoxious.
Exclamation button_up.dds 64X64 is used for all the square blue buttons in the nave cluster in all modes(sailing, battling, dancing).
changing the buttons's textures does /NOT/ take away the gold glowing effect upon activation or attack notify or dancing...

Wink To have a clear background alter the two above button textures simply make a totally alpha dds or tga put in custom folder duh...

tbb.dds 64x64 used for all of the text popups ingame, cept the ones on the bottom like "new gov. reaches..."

questframe_leftside.dds questframe_rightside.dds questframe_middle.dds do not seem to be used for anything....IDK WHY, also the readme says u can hit F11 for the quest log but nothing pops up...nerd logics

Exclamation tga seems to have priority over dds since that in the PAK files there is two copies of keypad_nav in both formats and i see why, tga does not interlope the colors making for muddled sharpness the way dds.

Exclamation dds of the above where in DTX3, the game also recognizes DXT1, DXT3, DXT5 for changes w/o issue. However the size of the image must remain the same else it will be scaled out of frame down and to the right.

Stay Cheeki breeki Lady Fenir-stardust
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: