Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New server, some features missing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: New server, some features missing Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

The day has come that technology has caught up with this old boat.

We had to move to a new server as the old one was starting to get (security) leaky due to old tech. The new server has a new versions of everything that makes a website run and we've bumped into a number of problems that we're not able to solve.

It appears that we did manage to resuscitate the HoP forum. Unless we hit any issues, that will stay online.

Other areas, including the front page, did not fare so well. We'll be closing those down over the coming weeks.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New server, some features missing Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Hi everyone,

The day has come that technology has caught up with this old boat.

We had to move to a new server as the old one was starting to get (security) leaky due to old tech. The new server has a new versions of everything that makes a website run and we've bumped into a number of problems that we're not able to solve.

It appears that we did manage to resuscitate the HoP forum. Unless we hit any issues, that will stay online.

Other areas, including the front page, did not fare so well. We'll be closing those down over the coming weeks.

Thanks for letting us know. Arrgh! The mods section is gone! Can we get it back?
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately no. The software of the mods section was poorly written by its creator and has been slowly dying piece by piece. This server move has killed it dead.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're going under folks. I'm heading for the Captain quarters. I'm going down with my ship. See ya in H--l.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are my girls, my Mansion and my SKULL AMULET?????
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Where are my girls, my Mansion and my SKULL AMULET?????

You're getting a small taste of what I went through three years ago when I lost 80% of my stuff in a fire - in the real world!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they returned to port with my rum and ship, leaving me with only the weapons in hand.

I was saving for a proper pirate's lair. There is something to be said for decluttering myself, but I am sad to lose my wife, and sad for Salty to lose his collection.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Skull AMulet cost 100,000 gold. Ouch!
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I certainly hate seeing people lose their stuff. I know it meant a lot to you. It's a wonder though this didn't happen long before it did. Hopefully those items will be restored but I wouldn't bet on it. I guess were lucky to have the forum still going a while longer but when ever it needs fixing I'm expecting that will be the end of it too.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
The Skull AMulet cost 100,000 gold. Ouch!

Salty, I used the admin controls to check, you still own all of your 'stuff'. it's just not showing..
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year someone proposed a place where we could all meet up if Cutlass Isle were to go under. But the original proposed site did not last much longer after that. Did we ever settle on a new place to meet?

At one point I saved a link to Wolflore, where Fleet maintains a page of mods, most related to SMP. Is that still the best place for us SMP fans to meet up to reorganize?

As for SMP mods and other supplementary material . . . Is there another site where we can post things we have created (or re-post things we have previously downloaded) now that the downloads pages of SMP are defunct?
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Last year someone proposed a place where we could all meet up if Cutlass Isle were to go under. But the original proposed site did not last much longer after that. Did we ever settle on a new place to meet?

How about heaven? I for one am gradually getting more and more defunct, and like this site, losing functionality. Sad
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wished we could have a place to continue on and a place to upload all of the mods here plus accept new ones.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an administrator at wolflore dot net. My user name there is fleet.
Some of my SMP mods are there.
Free registration is required to post in the forums and upload at wolflore. Registration is also required to access the 'adult' section.
Note you have to use a real e-mail address (not a temporary one) to register.
Folks here should consider registering and uploading mods at wolflore to be ready when Cutlass Isle shuts down.

Very respectfully,
fleetp
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be great to find a site that has a pirate theme to it. It's my believe it would do more good to keep SMP alive and possibly build up enough interest to hopefully convince them to release a new version of SMP which as I understand is what many folks have been hoping for. Also it would make a great place to explore other games of pirate nature without digging through all the popular non pirate games these young kids are playing. A site like that will draw like minded people together better then someplace for everybody would. That's just my two cents but ya'll are welcome to give me your two cents on the subject if you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: