Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Compare remake versions PSP, PC, wii, steam, mobile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcabel
Powder Monkey

111 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Compare remake versions PSP, PC, wii, steam, mobile Reply with quote

Can you guys please compare enhanced remakes versions (remake versions PSP, PC, wii, steam, mobile). Please comment about additions, features, missing features, graphics, gameplay, controls, etc. Also which version you feel it's the best (not counting nostalgia factor, which does not affect me because I haven't played this before )
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you much as I've only played the original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) version and the 2004 PC remake. I prefer the 2004 remake to the original, if for no other reason than the graphics are better.
mcabel
Powder Monkey

111 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you by any chance have heard if the psp version or the steam version are superior in any other way?

(or anyone else knows the pros or cons compared to earlier remakes)
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, the steam version is the same as the 2004 PC version.

Game mods here at Hooked on Pirates work on both the 2004 PC remake and steam versions. To the best of my knowledge the mods don't work on other platforms.

Here's a link for comparison of the PSP and PC versions
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/936843-sid-meiers-pirates/44243934
I read someplace that the PSP version allowed multi-player ship battles, which the PC version doesn't have.

Here's a review from Amazon comparing the Wii with the 2004 PC version

Pros
- Sailing, gun battles, and swordfighting controls are smooth and intuitive
- Cannon assaults by sea are more fun than in the original, but I wish there was more variety between battles
- The co-op play is an interesting addition, wish they could have figured out how to add more of it
- Enjoy the ability to customize your costume
- More and more fun options for customizing your ship

Cons
- No land operations in this game. Why was that removed? Assaulting a town by land was one of my favorite activities in the PC versions
- Dancing seems a lot harder to master with the Wii remote than with the keyboard in the Windows version
- Load times seem a lot longer between scenes and screens
- Talking to the bartender is usually a waste of time, his information is mostly useless or just wrong
- Lost the ability to manage your cannons, your ship is assumed to have a full complement of cannons at the start of each battle
- Earlier reviewer lamented the loss of the game book. He's right, the book was great. Most of the information is available in the Pirate-o-Pedia, but harder to find and read in-game like that. I pulled out my old books from the DOS game, and the kids read it while waiting for screen loads.
mcabel
Powder Monkey

111 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, the steam version is the same as the 2004 PC version.

Game mods here at Hooked on Pirates work on both the 2004 PC remake and steam versions. To the best of my knowledge the mods don't work on other platforms.

Here's a link for comparison of the PSP and PC versions
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/936843-sid-meiers-pirates/44243934
I read someplace that the PSP version allowed multi-player ship battles, which the PC version doesn't have.

Here's a review from Amazon comparing the Wii with the 2004 PC version

Pros
- Sailing, gun battles, and swordfighting controls are smooth and intuitive
- Cannon assaults by sea are more fun than in the original, but I wish there was more variety between battles
- The co-op play is an interesting addition, wish they could have figured out how to add more of it
- Enjoy the ability to customize your costume
- More and more fun options for customizing your ship

Cons
- No land operations in this game. Why was that removed? Assaulting a town by land was one of my favorite activities in the PC versions
- Dancing seems a lot harder to master with the Wii remote than with the keyboard in the Windows version
- Load times seem a lot longer between scenes and screens
- Talking to the bartender is usually a waste of time, his information is mostly useless or just wrong
- Lost the ability to manage your cannons, your ship is assumed to have a full complement of cannons at the start of each battle
- Earlier reviewer lamented the loss of the game book. He's right, the book was great. Most of the information is available in the Pirate-o-Pedia, but harder to find and read in-game like that. I pulled out my old books from the DOS game, and the kids read it while waiting for screen loads.

Regarding the PSP version, which sounds pretty good:

can you explain these differences based on the comments from the link you posted and if the loss is too bad, or how does it impact the game?
(I have never played any of these games so I'd like to know why any of these matter much or if I'll lose too much compared to pc)

1. " you cannot swap cannons (wonder why, it´s important)"
2. "hat the sea-battle-screen has a different interface (can´t see my speed anymore I think)"
3. " as well as the dancing minigame"

4. "factions are more aggressive in hunting pirates, and Ships of the Line are nearly impossible to find."

5."are you able to walk on land to find the treasures and your family members as in the PC version or does it just show a cut scene of you finding the treasure/family member."

6." I've never played the PC version (owned the NES one), and you have to sail to a landmark, then you can get out and walk around it (with a map inside) to find your treasure. You cannot walk around the land randomly - as soon as you land it tells you that after days of searching, your crew finds nothing.

In the NES version, you used to be able to attack a town by ship - without being enemies of that nation. Can you do that in this game? I don't have the manual..."

Last edited by mcabel on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcabel wrote:

Regarding the PSP version, which sounds pretty good:

can you explain these differences based on the comments from the link you posted and if the loss is too bad, or how does it impact the game?
(I have never played any of these games so I'd like to know why any of these matter much or if I'll lose too much compared to pc)

1. " you cannot swap cannons (wonder why, it´s important)"
2. "hat the sea-battle-screen has a different interface (can´t see my speed anymore I think)"
3. " as well as the dancing minigame"

4. "factions are more aggressive in hunting pirates, and Ships of the Line are nearly impossible to find."

5."are you able to walk on land to find the treasures and your family members as in the PC version or does it just show a cut scene of you finding the treasure/family member."

6. I've never played the PC version (owned the NES one), and you have to sail to a landmark, then you can get out and walk around it (with a map inside) to find your treasure. You cannot walk around the land randomly - as soon as you land it tells you that after days of searching, your crew finds nothing.

In the NES version, you used to be able to attack a town by ship - without being enemies of that nation. Can you do that in this game? I don't have the manual...

I'm not sure as I don't have the PSP version.
1. By swapping cannons, I think he means swapping ammunition. The PC game allows you to use one of three types of ammo for your cannons. Grapeshot kills the enemy crew, chain shot damages masts and sails, and round shot damages the enemy ship's hull. In the PC version you can swap which ammo you are using at any time during a sea battle.
2. I can't comment on the sea battle scene as I don't have the PSP version. I don't remember seeing a speed indicator on the PC version.
3. I can't comment on the PSP dancing game as I don't have that version.
4. No comment on "Factions being more aggressive". Ships of the line are hard to find in the PC version, but not impossible,
5. In the PC version you must walk on land to find treasures and family. I don't know about the PSP version.
6. In the PC version you can land and walk around anywhere.

Regarding attacking from the sea in the PC version you can fire your cannon at them from the sea, and they will shoot back at you. To conquer a city you must land and attack it by land.

It might be helpful to look at gameplay videos on youtube for the PSP version and the PC version.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206093 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wii Game version apparently has these
whch are not in the PC game version

Player Appearance Customize options

Ship Appearance Customize options

Captains chamber room - change Player clothes outfits

Lock Picking mini game
apparently if you defeat a Pirate Hunter

Mini-Bombardment game

Wii Manual: Sid Meiers Pirates

https://www.2k.com/manual/pirates/
English US | English UK | Spanish | French | German | Dutch

Apparently according to Wii game reviews only a game controls
summary is included with the Wii Retail game.
The Wii game manuals above are NOT included in the shipping Wii Retail Game.

There is little to none Wii Sid Meier Pirates gaming resources available.

Last edited by corsair91 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Korvessa
Powder Monkey

143 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corsair91 wrote:
The Wii Game version apparently has these
whch are not in the PC game version

Player Appearance Customize options

Ship Appearance Customize options

Captains chamber room - change Player clothes outfits

Lock Picking mini game
apparently if you defeat a Pirate Hunter

Mini-Bombardment game

OK. This explains why no one seemed to understand my question. Thanks.
I hate all those extra clothes - makes it a lot less frequent to get something useful from the traveler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: