Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Quiz Thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 494, 495, 496 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s your turn now Salty.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides Stonewall Jackson, name at least two other important Generals killed in action during the Civil War.

Extra Credit - Which Four Star General was shot to death. Which thee star general was killed by artillery fire?
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Besides Stonewall Jackson, name at least two other important Generals killed in action during the Civil War.

Extra Credit - Which Four Star General was shot to death. Which thee star general was killed by artillery fire?

The only other big brass fatalities I can think of are-

Reynolds, in charge of the Union I Corps. He died the first day of Gettysburg. It was a meeting engagement, and I don't think there were any artillery batallions supporting Heth's division. He declined command of the Army of the Potomac after Hooker was relieved, so he's my best guess for a 4 star shot to death, although I don't recall how many stars he actually wore.

J.E.B. Stuart was mortally wounded in combat. I don't recall the particulars. He got into the thick of things, so any kind of wound is plausible. He wore three stars in '63, so maybe he was the killed by artillery.

I keep wondering if Joe Johnston or P. T. Beauregard or some other Confederate big brass wasn't killed in action, too, but that memory hasn't surfaced.

Reynolds and Stuart were both killed and wore at least three stars.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for two and you gave them to me. Good job Rusty! Here are just a few more:

General Albert Sydney Johnson - FOUR STAR GENERAL and in command of all Confederate troops of the West - the number one General of the South - was shot in the leg and bled to death the first day of the Battle of Shiloh.

Lt. General Leonidas Polk - Corps Commander in the West, was beheaded by an artillery shell during Sherman's March to the Sea.

Major General Phil Kearney - killed at Battle of Chantilly

John Sedgwick was shot by a Confederate sharpshooter at the Battle of Spostsyvania

Confederate MGen Robert Rodes was killed at the 3rd Battle of Winchester

Famous Generals - BGen John Buford - Calvary leader and hero of Gettysburg, was killed in the fall of 1863.
Many Generals were killed during Pickett's charge including Lo Armistead, well documented in the Movie "Gettysburg"

There were many other Generals killed in action, these are just the best known ones.

Your turn Rusty.....
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Salty. I must have been vaguely thinking of Johnson, because when I tried to remember 3 and 4 star generals killed as a result of battle, I kept thinking there was a Confederate lost at Shiloh.

I woke up today with a cold virus that has infected most of my wife's family. I've resigned myself to the sleep it off with Nyquil approach. The floor is open. I should be back in a couple of days.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Federal Government seized Robert E Lee's estate in Northern Virginia. What did they use it for?
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
The Federal Government seized Robert E Lee's estate in Northern Virginia. What did they use it for?

I'm not sure what it was used for at the time, but I think it's currently Arlington National Cemetery.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is EXACTLY what it is used for! They buried dead Union Troops right on his front yard and turned it into the largest and most important Military Cemetary in the USA! Good job, your turn fleetp!
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mansion occupied by Robert E. Lee and his family prior to the Civil War is on the grounds of Arlington National Cemetery. While the cemetery is controlled by the Department of the Army, the mansion is administered by the National Park Service.

What is the name of the mansion?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me on that one. Did you know this before?
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

I knew it by its previous name. I'll accept either the current or previous name.
Feel free to do a google search.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going on another great trip tomorrow. I take the wife to Rome for 5 days and then 24 days on the Pacific Princess cruising the Mediterranean visiting, Italy, Monaco, Malta, Croatia and Greece. I have T-Mobile service and should be able to contact the board almost every day.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

I knew it by its previous name. I'll accept either the current or previous name.

I forgot how the Mansions had names-George Washington's, Jefferson's, Jackson's, and probably Madison's too. Good Trivia topic!

I was there 40 years ago, I probably know this... I'm pretty sure it was the Custis estate. Official guess- Stratford But maybe that was the name of Light horse Harry Lee's mansion.
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
fleetp wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

I forgot how the Mansions had names-George Washington's, Jefferson's, Jackson's, and probably Madison's too. Good Trivia topic!

I was there 40 years ago, I probably know this... I'm pretty sure it was the Custis estate. Official guess- Stratford But maybe that was the name of Light horse Harry Lee's mansion.

Sorry, incorrect.
Here's some hints
The building was previously know as the "XXXXXX-XXX Mansion"
The building is currently known as "YYYYYYYYYYY House, the ZZZZZZ Z. ZZZ Memorial"

Feel free to do an internet search.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custis-Lee Mansion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirate's History All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 494, 495, 496 ... 892, 893, 894  Next
Page 495 of 894

Jump to: