Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Which sword do you use and why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Fencing Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which sword do you use and why?
Rapier
68%
 68%  [ 114 ]
Longsword
17%
 17%  [ 29 ]
Cutlass
13%
 13%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 166

Nefarious
Swabbie

159 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Which sword do you use and why? Reply with quote

This has been mentioned before, but I want to get more precise. Sid enabled choices for a reason other than aesthetics, right?

My personal choice is the Rapier, and my reasoning is quite simple. I never, ever, ever, attack (or accept a confrontation) beyond my crew's ability. Also, I'll never get in a boarding situation that I can't handle.

The option to SAIL AWAY is always present with no hit to reputation, status, or rank.

Finally, I really don't sweat the 'numbers' too much. I mean honestly; if you can't handle the AI having a 2-1 or 3-1 advantage in manpower in boarding situations, then perhaps you should stick to Sonic Hedgehog.

Swordplay is not rocket science. It's timing, pure and simple. AND, since the Rapier affords the player the best 'timing' ability...please explain if you choose a sword other than...

Personal choice: Rapier.
Q: Why?
A: Speed kills.

Nef

Last edited by Nefarious on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
WaxonWaxov
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my ass kicked if I use anything but rapier
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rapier is the lightest and therefore fastest sword available. It's designed to strike fast as its thin profile easily cuts through the air (not to mention clothing and skin).

The longsword is a general purpose weapon made for heavier battle, such as against armored opponents or for cutting off various body parts so your enemy can't continue to attack. Nothing wrong with using a longsword, as long as you realize that if your enemy is using a rapier he's going to have an advantage over you in speed.

The cutlass is a great sword for people who are fairly unskilled at swordplay. As the game suggests, its good for defense because its blade is so big. Its size and weight allow you to slash haphazardly and cut through whatever you encounter. Unfortunately, its size and weight also make you tired a lot faster if your opponent doesn't happen to go down as quickly as you might like.

ummm... I prefer a rapier. However, you should never take only a sword to a gunfight.

thedon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
amtrick
Powder Monkey

244 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier without a doubt ... in the game attacking in a swordfight is much easier than defending (at least for me), and the rapier is built for the attack
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Get practice with Cutlass Reply with quote

I played with the cutlass for 6 straight games to learn how to play defense. It has taught me a lot and I recommend others use it for at least some time to learn defense. Of course offense is just as important so there's learning with the Rapier too. I like them both.
Salty Laughing
danzio
Powder Monkey

137 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the rapier only and even then only use offensive moves, up until a few days ago I thought the red X's on the keypad diagram meant function not available so I never used them. Once I realized what they were I tried them but started losing occasional matches so I am going back to offensive moves only. Laughing Of course I haven't played but a few minutes at Swashbuckler so I may end up getting my A** handed to me soon enough anyway! Shocked
Juan de San Diego
Seaman

5156 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Rapier Reply with quote

Speed is of the essence! A rapier!

Juan

Last edited by Juan de San Diego on Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tarious
Swabbie

17 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the rapier because of its speed. You get more bang for the timing. You hit faster so your doing more damage faster, ensuring victory.

Everytime i use a different sword i really start messing up. I even lost my flag ship once because the other guy had a rapier and i kept messing up. I had the longsword then.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go for the rapier, unless my stupid USB mouse glitches and I click on some other sword by mistake...

The reason?

Well, just look at those old pictures in the articles written by the old masters. Just how cool are these guys to risk injury and horrible wounds fighting naked!?

(ok, ok, they did not really do that. Just makes one wonder about the artists...)

Ok, the real reason is the quick attack and the mere coolness of the said weapon.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
ongwin
Powder Monkey

119 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, each sword is quite unique, I don't really have a favourite.

Rapiers allow you to attack quickly, so even if the advantage bar is not in your favour, you still can make a quick strike.

Longswords are more balanced, so the reaction time when you hit an attack or defense key is the same. This seems to be a more neutral solution.

Cutlasses can be quite fun to play with. They allow you make block very quickly the moment you hit a defense key. So I suggest you play on defence and then use taunt to turn the advantage bar to your favour. Once the advantage bar is much in your favour, then you can strike the enemy back quickly.
Fuzzy
Swabbie

566 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to favor the cutlass. The rapier tends to seem to much like just hack-and-slash and not a duel. Besides, what's better than hitting a fat frenchman in the head with a sharp, heavy object?
PUNiSHER
Seaman

374 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is the rapier as well...
The speed is great, the handling is great...have not lost a swordfight yet, using a rapier.
Tried the cutlass once...got my behind kicked real bad!
Kensai
Seaman

1450 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I´m young, Rapier, when I´m old, Cutlass.
When you are old at Swashbuckler level, doesn´t matter your "quick attack", because you haven´t anyone!
At old age you cannot be too agresive, the younger oponents moves like monkeys fullfilled with Cocaine, and you must wait all his stupid piruets, and lie to him about your attack.
You must find the weak point of the oponent, all aren´t the same thing, some are weak in some points, another can be different.
At old age is a bad idea to jump, the enemy ALWAYS is faster than you.
I defend all time with the 5 button, and then I choose how to lie to the caracter.
Then, nothing more pleasant that hit him with your giant Cutlass.
In fact, Cutlass weren´t as giant as in the game, they were short weapons to fight onboard, were the space was reduced.
Twisted Evil
Juan de San Diego
Seaman

5156 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Old age Reply with quote

Kensai wrote:
When you are old at Swashbuckler level, doesn´t matter your "quick attack", because you haven´t anyone!
Twisted Evil

There is something to be said to this strategy.

Juan
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Old age Reply with quote

Juan de San Diego wrote:
Kensai wrote:
Twisted Evil

There is something to be said to this strategy.

Juan

When I am old, I never defend. I only thrust with the occasional swipe. If you time it correctly, you will never get hit.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: