Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

CI RP: Chapter 2 - The Governor's Decree
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Circle of Pirates Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Governor Marriott
Powder Monkey

80027217 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: CI RP: Chapter 2 - The Governor's Decree Reply with quote

TOWN DECREE

It has come to my attention that this town seems fit to not listen to my pleas of consideration to our locals. I would especially like to thank Mahli Carlisle of bringing this information to my attention. So I am hereby instating these rules of such:

1. Everyone shall respectfully bow before their governor. I alone let you miscreants live/stay in my town without punishment for your crimes abroad.

2. Due to recent activity of ill being taken towards me I am instating Steward Mahli Carlisle over the newly formed Republic Mercenaries of Cutlass Isle.

3. For letting you have the opportunity as such of being in this safe haven you will be forced to pay for your safety at a small fee that will be collected through Mahli Carlisle. This will allow the Republic Mercenaries to better protect you.

These rules are in place with your safety and happiness in mind. I will post updated rules and notices as I see fit to keep you informed. You are welcome to talk to Mahli Carlisle if you have any questions.

Note: We are now accepting applications to become a mercenary of our great town. We have two more spots available. Please contact Mahli for further details.

Governor Marriott
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stunned reading the piece of parchment that had been fixed to the door of the Salty Dog. Had the governor lost his mind? The island wasn't anyone's and considering I discovered it, I'd had a stronger claim to it than he did. The Circle of Pirates had instated a governor because the town was growing so fast that things could get out of hand. Marriott was chosen because of his excellent leadership skills and his reputation for being a fair and strong captain. The Council never meant Cutlass Isle to become a dictatorship, but this... 'decree', just thinking about it made me gag, could easily be mistaken for a hostile takeover of the island.

The man who had hung up the decree was looking at me with this triumphant grin on his face that made me want to smack him. The two musket bearing men standing behind him gave me an excellent excuse not to though.

A crowd gathered around me and from the sounds of it, people were as angry as I was. I stepped out of the crowd and looked in the direction of the Governor's Mansion. From this vantage, you could just see the second story of the building but it didn't look as friendly as it did before.

It was obvious that Marriott was serious and that he was clever enough to make sure he had enough support to pull it off. Walking up to the Mansion and confronting him would be folly.

This required a response though. Looking around me I tried to find some of the other Circle Seniors to set a time and place for a meeting. Seeing none, I decided to go into the tavern and get myself a big jug of rum to clam me down somewhat. I left the increasingly riotous crowd standing outside and slammed the door behind me.

I shouted to get the Barmaid's attention: "Cassandra! Some of that rum you served me the other day please. I feel a headache coming up." Under other circumstances I would have noticed how lovely she looked today, but my head was otherwise occupied.

Wonder what that crowd outside will do....
Arrrr
Seaman

1347 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon Wolfen

Having put my new gold safely away in my room I wandered out the front door to see an impressive crowd staring at me. I started to wonder what I'd done, until I saw their eyes shift to the door I was holding open. I turned around, shut the door and read the piece of parchment on the door.

Taxing?? PIRATES?? WAS THE GOVERNOR OUT OF HIS MIND?!?!?!

You don't 'tax' pirates, or make them bow to anyone. Ever. I mean, we were basically taxmen ourselves. We just admitted that we robbed people, unlike your more regular breed of taxman.

These 'Republic Mercenaries' worried me somewhat. We weren't a 'Republic', no-one had voted Mr Marriot (I refused to give him his title) to rule us, and none of the countries knew of our existence, really. That wouldn't always be the case, though, and as such it certainly affected some Captains I had begun to call friend, such as Captain Falconer, who discovered this Isle. I didn't have a ship, so I was less likely to be noticed, taxed and what have you, but I'd seen him walk into the tavern as I walked out, and the horrified, unbelieving expression on his face had caused me to head outside. So as not to disturb the rapidly building crowd, or the musket-wielding soldiers in front of the aforementioned crowd, I opened the door to the Salty Dog as little as I could and still fit through, and walked into the tavern.

As for his offer of application, he could go play hide and walk the plank for all I cared. I knew that being one of these mercenaries would be like living hell, because I'd damn well make it. Alot of my youth had been spent playing pranks on those older and stronger than me, and I was certainly not going to let those skills go to waste.

There was Falconer, his head in a mead jug, although I could see the Barmaid walking off with a bottle of Rum. Yep, he'd seen the sign. I approched the Captain and introduced myself.
El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from the mole back, ElD heard voices flirring on the streets.
He changed his direction towards the scenery.
A really big crowd had gathered around the "Sea Dog". They were fussing, discussing - situation was rough and nearly violent.
He took a look on the parchement and it was obvious, his impression on last night had not been wrong.
But as he had not registred anywhere and was not going to, he was interested, how the situation would evolve and what it would bring for him. This one was sure, he would not suffer from that situation.

As he was not interested in beeing implicated here, he left the scenery and entered the tavern.
He went to the bar and while leaning there with a fine rum, he saw on a table his young mate Leon speaking with another guy who seemed to be under those (still?) beeing the leaders on the isle.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** Will Scarlett ***

We sailed back into Cutlass Isle harbour after our triumphant voyage to find only a small number of people sitauted around the docks. I could see in the distance that there was a large group of men causing some commotion in the main street - it appeared somewhere near the 'Salty Dog'. I wondered what could be the cause. Maybe the tavern had been shut and all the patrons thrown out - that indeed would cause a stir. I decided to investigate.

I left my first mate in charge of refitting the ship and looking after the crew while I went to find out what the cause of the commotion. After a short walk, it certainly appeared that the crowd had gathered around the entrance of the 'Salty Dog'. As I neared the entrance, I could here the rowdy mob mention something about Governor Marriot, but it was not until I reached the front door to the tavern that I knew what all the fuss was about.

A sign nailed to the door had basically stated that the Governor had taken over control of the island and we had to pay a fee to visit. It really didn't sound like the Governor at all, as he had always been known to be a fair man, a man who was liked by all. This would certainly change all that. I thought though that this Mr. Carlisle might have something to do with this. Maybe it wasn't the Governor at all who had written this note, but someone else who had forced the Governor to sign and was holding the Governor blackmail. Many things went through my head at this time. But what I really needed was a drink, so I pushed past the mob and opened the door just enough to squeeze inside.

There inside were a number of men seated around a table in the middle of the almost empty room. One was the well-known Captain Falconer - well known as he was first to inhabit this fair Isle. Next to him were two other men, whom I did not know. The barmaid handed a drink to one of them.

"A drink for me too, wench" I asked in a manner that was polite, but not too polite as to seem soft in the eyes of these pirates seated at the table.

I sat down at the table, across from Captain Falconer. We had met before, but I was sure that he would not remember me.

"Hello, I be Will Scarlett" I informed him, as the barmaid passed me a drink. "You look like you be discussing the note outside on the door, what do you think about it?"

I directed the question towards the captain, but was hoping either of the three men at the table would answer me..

AKA. Will Scarlett.
El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El D recognized the next seadog stepping in.
"It's getting crowded now, gonna become interesting, El D thought.

He looked like beeing at sea and not unsuccessful. His eyes were shifting, if he should be happy about his adventures or confused about the new situation on Cutlass Isle.

The moment El D thought, who could that be, Will Scarlett introduced himself.
El D answered, " I think, we'll get some nice vibrations on the isle, like anywhere one has administration... Confused
After throwing this into the air, he took a good draft of his Rum and seemed to be uninterested again.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** Will Scarlett ***

"I'm not sure this is all the doing of the Governor" I stated. "It may be that someone else is pulling his strings at the moment, or something even more sinister". I continued.

I had heard that there had been some trouble on the island involving the Governor, not long after I had left the island on my voyage to St.Kitts, but from what I could peice together, it was caused by someone not local to these parts. This Mr. Carlisle has somehow prevented further injury to the Governor, but he still seemed to be a shady character who no-one knew much about.

I took a swig of the drink the barmaid gave me, as I let things settle down and tried to think of what this 'Decree' would mean to myself. How would this 'tax' be collected if indeed this was the way things were going to go.
I could just think, that this island would get a whole less populated if the governor asked for a 'pirate tax'. I'm sure many would just leave the island without a second thought.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El D enlighted another habano and had some good smokes, drafting the next rum he got.

"Well, true. But things would be better, if we had stuck with our traditions and did not take over the model of those nations.

One man - one vote - the best idea wins, or the best cutlass!"
Angel
Seaman

1757 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lone figured stalked through the door of the tavern. It was obvious this wasn't your average pirate, despite the clothes. It was somewhat hard to hide the curves of a woman under the tight fitting breeches of the day.

A pirate, that much was obvious. But a woman? As a pirate? And they'd seen her pause to read the decree. So why was she smiling?

"A round for lot!" She cried in a rich deep voice.

"Here, now? Wot's got ye smilin, wench?" the barkeep growled.

She flicked at a piece of straw on the arm of her coat, and surveyed the contents of the room. The light was dim, as was the clientele, or at least - some of them.

"Well, now - I did not believe it when I heard it, but hurried to see it with my own two eyes. The famed Cutlass Isle, appointing a governor?" She smiled silkily. "Ah, that decree on the door got ye down, m'boys? Well, what did ye expect when you give power to a man?"

The look in her eyes challenged the men in the bar to deny the fact that men, when given power, usually craved more....
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** Will Scarlett ***

I thought about what this wench had just said, knowing it be true, but also knowing that a woman would probably do the same if given the chance.

"And what do you propose we do about it, m'lady" says I, whilst tipping my non-existent hat to her in a sarcastic way, such that she was the queen and we were her servants.

I'm sure I had seen this lass around somewhere before - you don't see many female pirates around and it is a bit of a surprise to see one, especially one as fiesty as this one seemed to be.

"And what be your name, lass" I asked, "and what reason do you have to be smiling. Don't you know you'll be paying taxes to this Governor, if he gets his way?"

AKA. Will Scarlett.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Syrian***

After hearing this news and not being met by the person that was supposed to meet him. He decided if he could find his old friend Falconer. He has not spoken to the old sea dog in many years since the founding of this town but he did not like the new decree that was before him. He walked in unoticed cause of the many people gathering in the tavern and walked over to where Falconer sat and pulled up a chair and sat beside him.

"Well I see you have gotten yourself into another mess," he says quietly to Falconer. He stops for a moment realizing it has been awhile since the two have spoke. Looks at him and knows that he muist help once again. Though not true to his nature. Faloner is one the people he would follow to his death as he has before when they were in that dreadful battle together and first found this place. Syrian had no interest in staying even though Flaconer wanted him to. Just was not enough profit in it for him staying. So they went their separate ways. The call of Falconer was always strong to Syrian and for some reason or another he always found himself coming back to this den of thieves, pirates, or the scurvy whichever you would like to call it because of Falconer and the new prospects this place was briging to him. He did not like this new decree and he figured out an idea on his way in there to him.

"I have an Idea Falconer," he proceeds to tell Falconer the plan to which Falconer lights up his eyes of the devious plan that only Syrian could come up with. Although Syrian is not reptuble he is very trustworthy when he gives his bond. He mentions that there are two spots open in this new Mercenaries thing and thinks that we should employ a couple of loyal people into this wretched servitude. The actions taken by our men though will have to be convincing cause we can't blow our cover. He looks over at Falconer and gives his sly smile, winks one eye in his devious way he does when he always has a sound plan and awaits Falconer's answer ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Angel
Seaman

1757 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She stepped closer and stood toe to toe with Will Scarlett. She'd seen him before, knew his name and his reputation. She took his measure in a slow, lingering perusal of his person, from the crown of his head to the tip of his toes. A slow smile slid langurously across her face.

"My, my, ye be askin' a lot of questions! I'm called Dark Angel, but I prefer my given name - Alex. Ahhh, m'boy, I smile because I cannot fathom the surprise on all the faces around me! Aye, I'll have to be payin' the taxes as well, but it amuses me that ye be amazed by sir-high-and-mighty-guvnor's change of heart. As for what's te be done, I'm thinkin' we may need to be setting our fancy guvnor in his place." Her blue eyes flashed with deviltry.

Maybe it was a good thing she'd decided to see Cutlass Isle for herself. Stirring up a hornet's nest of trouble had alwasy been one of her favorite past times.

Hands on hips, she dared Scarlett to take her meaning with a saucy look.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** Will Scarlett ***

"Aye, lassy" I replied to Dark Angel as she stared at me. "I believe we should all pay a visit to our Gov'ner and be seeing what all this is about. The Cap'n Falconer is - or at least was - a friend of Gov. Marriott is he not? Maybe we should just go up to the Governor's mansion and demand he see us."

Another Pirate entered the tavern. It was Mr. Syrian, whom I had previously met prior to my latest voyage. He began conversing with Cap'n Falconer. I again sat down at the table, offered a seat to Ms. Angel and took a mouthful of my drink.

"We are all noble pirates" I spoke up. "Surely, the Governor will see you Capn' Falconer and we will all see him together, to get to the bottom of this 'taxing' rubbish."

I still had a suspicion that all was not well with the Governor, and that he personally might not be fully to blame for this new decree. There was no way that I by myself would be allowed to enter the Governor's mansion, but with this motley bunch, especially with the Captain, we might at least get through the gates to speak with the Governor.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my Rum arrived, Leon joined me at my table. A friendly slap on the back affirmed our friendship, even if the news caused it to be without much joy. Before she left I asked her another mug for Leon to share my rum. Leon didn't even attempt his usual butt-slap with the barmaid, he was as discerned as I was. He didn't wait for the mug to arrive either and drank straight from the bottle. I found it funny noticing that. At sea, everyone drank from the bottle and passed it around. Sailors like us aren't used to cilization in quite the same way city folk are. Yet, the island community was growing and slowly, civilization came with it. Leon and I started talking about the Decree. We weren't sure if Marriott had eavesdroppers around, so we kept a low voice.

That didn't stop people from noticing us though. Someone I had noticed before but hadn't actually met joined the table. Leon introduced us. El Diablo he was called. Quite a name for someone whose reputation had not preceded him yet. He seemed to have his head screwed on though, I've always appreciated that. He might be a bit too spirited to be healthy in a situation like this. Then again, rebellions are won by the rebellious, and I had a feeling that might be our only option here. So far, the discussion had focussed more on what happened, than on what to do about it. I knew things were going to change when Will Scarlet joined our little group.

Being one of the oldest inhabitants of the island, Will had been around to see our island transform into what it is today. He was too active a pirate to stay around for very long, but he had grown fond of the town and its people and cared as deep as I did about its future. Pirates generally don't have a place they can call home. the youngsters tended not to mind too much, but with growing older came a sense of wanting to belong somewhere.

"Indeed, we're discussing that blasted piece of parchment on the door." I had never been able to hide my mood very well and didn't now either. I sat back a little and listened to the three men discussing the Decree. As expected, Will said some sensible things here. I think he was right saying it might not be Marriott who is behind all this. As expected, it was El Diablo to make an equally good, but dangerous point: Pirates are not city folk and we shouldn't try to model ourselves to others. Then again, we all agreed some time ago that we needed 'some' form of government, that the only way to keep this place from exploding, was to have someone enforce some rules and regulations. A difficult proposition as it turned out.

I was about to sink into one of my pondering moods as a rambunctious voice of a young pirate trying to sound old and rough, pierced through the tavern tumult, shouting that rounds were on him. People don't shout in taverns unless they want attention, so I turned around on my stool and noticed something weird about this boy. He had boobs! I gave myself a mental slap on the head. Obviously it was a woman. Rare, but not unheard of. She wasn't bad looking either underneath that rugged clothing. The jealous look on the barmaids face told me I wasn't the only one thinking that.
What she said next astonished and silenced everyone. What nerve saying "Well, what did ye expect when you give power to a man?"! She had guts, but of course she would never have made it even through the door of the tavern if she hadn't. Moments after the men in the crowd had been stunned, they bursted into laughing. Shouts came from all over the room "You're alright lass!" and "Anyone who buys me a drink, can insult me once". I was looking at the woman and when her eyes met mine, I signaled her to come over. An interesting little group seemed to be forming here and we'd need all kinds to determine our course of action here. We needed a plan.

A smile from ear to ear formed on my face when I recognized the voice that was wispering into my ears. I turned around and saw that yet again, Syrian arrived at the right place on the right time. I felt better about all this already. As the discussion around us continued, Syrian and I started our own little conversation. Syrian was always in for a bold plan and as such, usually came up with something daring that needed a little polish, but always was the basis of something grand. The plan started with getting our own men on this town guard. I gave Syrian a curt, knowing nod and said turned back to the table and startled the group there by saying: "Will, Dark Angel, you two look particularly healthy today. I think you should sign up as town guards!".
El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El D followed up the ongoing discussion.

He had a close look on the piratress, she was someone with head and heals. Not a common thing at those days.

When Syrian came in, ElD recognized the close relationship with Falconer and focused his ears towards their thread, as that would be the main line in the next chapters.
Still drinking his rum and smoking his Habano like before.
He thought, very good, he would not take part as a guard, so he was free to go and to watch and to feel free what he wanted to do.

He once said, there'll be no problem. We are pirates, we challenge anyting, where the normal folk stood and their faces were question marks for eternaty.
The carribian is still big and still not evry place is discoverd by all.
Mr. Governor is not in a position to put pistols on our chests. And still, he lives from us, he suffers from us - if we are not, he is nothing.
Why should we center him?!
All he is doing is because he centers us, so we should please him that way hand show him the respect that we are the center... Cool

The rest looked up, when ElD spoke this words, showing at each other, all were looking for someone to begin...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Circle of Pirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: