Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Q&A with Firaxis Barry
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Q&A with Firaxis Barry Reply with quote

Well we all been wondering whether or not a patch will be coming. Well may not be a certain time when one will come out but it is an official answer from Barry Caudill from Firaxis. Along with this answer also came other answers that some of us were wondering.

1) Why the slow news on Pirates! for X-box? Are there snags with it and what is with the design of throwing in power ups while sailing around. Maybe I am a little old school with Pirates! just cause I thought the original was perfect except the dancing and sneaking are much more fun.
Barry: Pirates Xbox has been basically done for a while now, but the switch over to the new publisher was what made it seemingly go dark. The power-ups only appear in multiplayer ship battles and I think they add a great extra level of strategy and make it pretty fun.

2) After X-Box will there be a Pirates! made for the PS2 or even the PS3?
Barry: There are no official plans for Pirates on other consoles and/or expansion packs currently, but we are always looking for ways to expand our IP and we will definitely keep you posted if anything becomes finalized.

3) Are there any future plans of an expansion with maybe adding more of the original features back into the game that we miss. The treasure fleet or silver train being in a town when sacking making it harder cause the additional troops to guard it are there. Also I have seen great interest in an expansion pack to make this game a Multiplayer.
Barry: We tried a lot of things for MP in this version of Pirates and we came to the conclusion ship battles were the most fun and made the most sense. That's why we went for MP ship battles in the Xbox version.

4) Are there going to be any more patches to fix the Artificial Intelligence of the game and other bugs that seem to have been added with this patch 1.01. The main complaint from the community seems that the game isn't as random as it needs to be on who you attack for finding your family. Maybe expending the, for a lack of better words, "Bad Guy" list and make it more random.
Barry: We should be able to get back on the patch train (Both US and Europe) once the dust settles on this new deal.

5) Is there going to be a patch released for the non-US versions anytime soon. There seem to be quite a few players out there that have a non US version that would love the patch to fix some of those issues mentioned in this release of the patch.
Barry: We should be able to get back on the patch train (Both US and Europe) once the dust settles on this new deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, PF! Smile

Let's just hope that that "should" in responses 4&5 turn into "will" in the next few days, when the dust has settled! Smile
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Firaxis_Barry
Firaxian
Firaxian

347 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
Great info, PF! Smile

Let's just hope that that "should" in responses 4&5 turn into "will" in the next few days, when the dust has settled! Smile

Dust doesn't settle that fast in big business Wink but I can assure you we will continue to support Pirates.
Sincerely,
-Barry
Firaxis Games
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you here, Barry!

It is great to hear that you are planning to support and develop Pirates! further! Smile (even if it takes more than a few days to get to it... Wink )
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, certainly been a while since we've seen Barry around here. Thought he might have forgotten where our little isle was situated.

Good to hear that work will continue on this marvellous game. Very Happy

AKA. Will Scarlett.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Q&A with Firaxis Barry Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:

Now where have I heard that before?
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain it to me Rupert what you mean by where have you heard that before... as in possibly me saying this or a company saying this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just that it was the same response twice...? As in echo...
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firaxis_Barry wrote:
... I can assure you we will continue to support Pirates.
Sincerely,
-Barry

Thanks for getting back to us, Barry. You've restored my faith in mankind, womankind....er, uh...PEOPLE-KIND????? Hmmm...

Anyhoo, thanks.

Stephen
Seaman

899 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
You've restored my faith in mankind, womankind....er, uh...PEOPLE-KIND????? Hmmm...

...Humanity-- or for adventurous privateers: Piranity.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruf wrote:
...Humanity-- or for adventurous privateers: Piranity.
Oh. I thought maybe it was "humankind". Go figure. Confused
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:

Considering I was tired when I read it it's a possibility thats what rupert meant .. heh ... oh well Rupert will explain all for the feeble minded ... in this case I am talking baout myself cause I didn't get it.

Basically question 4 and 5 are the same type of question about the patch ... therefore the response that was given was in fact the answer to both if that is what you meant by the same response twice
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no matter that, thanks for getting the info to us PiratesFan and Barry Smile
It's always much nicer to know what is happening than living in ignorance Smile
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristian95 wrote:
no matter that, thanks for getting the info to us PiratesFan and Barry Smile
It's always much nicer to know what is happening than living in ignorance Smile

Here, here. No one wants to be a mushroom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
as a canned response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: