Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

career strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Overt Stipend
Powder Monkey

857 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: career strategies Reply with quote

This may not be the fastest way thru the game but it sure was fun and allowed me to swashbuckle to a ripe old age.

Making an initial career of bounty hunting (don't do it at my age any more) made it easier to come across those valuable items early on.
eg. It can be very, very profitable to sneak into a Spanish town to the tavern and defeat a wanted criminal in a duel. The bounty can be up to 7000 gp's. The criminal will try to bribe you with very valuable stuff.

You need very little crew to do this and barmaid and barkeep in that tavern will sometimes tell you more info once you capture the criminal as will the Govs daughter when you turn him in. Capturing ships and trade is a nice compliment to Bounty hunting. Good to know who pays the best prices for captured cargo. In these early stages one would rely heavily on dueling skill.

At some point in the mid game I dropped bounty hunting and trade as common activities and focused on other things.

I did not start sacking towns until I had to via the revenge path tasks. By that time I had enough gold and morale boosting items to keep a large crew content

Currently:
51 years old in failing health.
950k gp
thousands of acres of land
have all upgrades
crew morale never drops below content

I plan to continue by going after all Spanish ships, which weakens the ports so after sacking a town and inserting an english gov (my starting nation) england become prosperous and ripe for the plucking - hey, well after all, I am a pirate HAR HAR Smile

At this age I very seldom engage in a duel or do I need to. During a ship battle I pound the crew down to 1. They almost always surrender w/o a duel. If a duel does occur it only takes a single blow b4 the captain surrenders.

Re: fighting Monte at his stronghold -unless you become adept at defensive dueling (using a cutlass?) it is best to focus on completing the revenge path as early as you can. At age 48 My character could not win as I relied on simple speed throughout the years. I had to go back to school and "train" in order to beat him.
bray
Powder Monkey

191 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but i bet your not a swashbuckler!!!
Overt Stipend
Powder Monkey

857 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bray wrote:
yeah but i bet your not a swashbuckler!!!

Wow Bray, that was quite a post. someday I hope to have your skill with words.

Actually my previous post was not a brag, just thought someone might appreciate a different kind of tactic to try. What was the point of your post?
ledhed
Cutthroat

3392 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to swashbuckle to a ripe old age.

....a play on words ... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Xbox Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: