Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Which sword do you use and why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Fencing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which sword do you use and why?
Rapier
68%
 68%  [ 114 ]
Longsword
17%
 17%  [ 29 ]
Cutlass
13%
 13%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 166

fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly what you did at first, Michael. Once you get good enough, you will be able to defend as well with a rapier as you will with a longsword. It looks cooler, too.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Grimmelshausen
Cutthroat

1811 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I´m fighting most of the time with a rapier, because of the faster attack. I´ll have to try the longsword as well, it is my favourite in Pirates! Gold, but I never took much liking in the cutlass, not in the old days and not now, either.
Daedalus
Powder Monkey

498 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've impaled many a scab with my trusty Longsword, although each sword has it's qualities the Longswords versatility has made her my choice in weaponry. Cool
Ruslan the pirate
Powder Monkey

154 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always take the rapier. As the guys here said, when they take something other than rapier, they have they ass kicked. Same do I. I remember my ONLY time when the opponent threw me to the water and know why? Because I clicked by mistake on Cutlass and not on rapier... That was a terrible expirience. Ok, I sopouse we all have to know how to loose, but not to loose too much. Very Happy
By the way did someone lose once in the bar when being upstairs? Share with us what happened, please.
Back to our topic- I choose the rapier because its fast. And I have really no problems defending with it, so it's my choice. I tried once the other two weapons- longsword and cutlass, but I didn't like them at all.
And dimonds are forever.
(Alphaville)
mangojuice
Powder Monkey

137 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing with Rapier almost exclusively once I got good at learning how to dodge. However, I don't use my Rapier all the time.

Basically, when I'm playing a young pirate, I might as well use the Rapier because it makes the fencing not last very long and it's easy to win; you can always dodge quickly enough and your counterattacks almost always hit. However, as I start to age I need defense a little more: the worst thing that can happen is if your opponent is attacking so quickly that you can't defend. If that happens, you lose.. and losing duels is usually pretty bad. So, when I notice myself starting to slow down I go for the longsword, so I can dodge a little more quickly and get myself back into the duel if I ever get behind. Naturally they dodge me a little more often, but using thrusts instead of chops/slashes definitely helps, and if I don't think they'll work I can always throw in some taunting.

In theory, I might need to go to Cutlass eventually but I haven't hit that point yet. If I'm ever 60 years old and going into a battle outnumbered 3 to 1, then I'll pick the Cutlass. Actually, I use Cutlass sometimes just to keep myself used to how quickly/slowly I can attack with it.

But the majority of the time, the rapier is the right choice; you aren't really worried about losing these battles, and the rapier will help you win them more quickly. It's only when you might lose that you should consider the other swords.
mangojuice
Powder Monkey

137 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ruslan: when I was new to the game and on swashbuckler a little early and getting old, I had a lot of trouble winning the fight in the bar: I think I lost about 10 times in a row before I finally won. I needed to do lots of taunting. When you lose, he backs you out a window and you fall out onto the ground from the 2nd floor.
kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: All 3 Reply with quote

I prefer to use all 3 for different situations. For annoying captains I tend to use a rapier cause they are sucky and its more like a dual then. For all purpose work I side with the longsword so I can defend and counter just as quickly. If I'm fighting a battle I'm afraid of the opponents speed (Such as a military vessel with a large crew advantage) then I side with a cutlass.

I always defend and attack because I could just never get that constant attack thing to work past journyman.

PS If a RL person tried to fence like they do in Pirate's I'd kick their butts. While I don't have as much experience with a sword as I do on the ballroom dance floor in real life I do know how to tell an unskilled swordsman when I see one. (As well as an unskilled dancer, stupid ballroom bootcamp contestants couldn't dance their way out of a brown paper bag. 5 weeks with a professional instructor working on one dance and the best one is only at bronze 2 level. Oh crap I'm ranting again.)

Kirk Vollmer
Don't ever call me Captain Kirk.
Valparaiso University Alumni; Class of 2004
Karnik
Swabbie

3329 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: All 3 Reply with quote

Longsword. Yeah, speed is great. Too bad that for me, at Swashbuckler level when I am aged, the computer is faster than I am, if I am trying to defend with a rapier. I simply cannot react in time to consistently block the first attack of any serious opponent. Fat captains, no problem; many pirate hunters, uh... And if I miss the first block, the second attack comes even faster. If I try to attack first rather than defend, many opponents beat me to it.

Yeah, I always take the fencing skill. Yeah, I have all the gear.

If I used some sort of trainer/slow-downer, sure I could beat them. But why cheat like that? With the longsword, I've won 99%+ of my fights when I'm over the age of 60. And I win 100% if I'm in my 20s or 30s, unless I just screw up.

Speed is great -- blocking speed. With the longsword, I have just enough extra blocking speed, and getting in an attack isn't that tough. I never have a "3 quick slices and it's over" fight, but I have a lot of fights where"he attacks 3 times, I block them all, and slice", three times, fights.

kvollmer wrote:
If a RL person tried to fence like they do in Pirate's I'd kick their butts.

Smile It's called "stage fighting". The fencing part is probably less like reality than any other part of the game. Well, except for the fact that the consensus around here is that there's only one historic case of pirates actually burying treasure. (There's been something in the news recently. As of yet, they haven't actually dug anything up, but they think it's buried treasure. So there might soon be two confirmed historic cases.)

But it obviously not meant to be real. It's clearly the Hollywood movie version of fencing. And stage fencing is way more fun than real fencing.
Talin
Powder Monkey

351 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so many rapier choices! However, I can easily see why.
When I was playing initially for a couple of days on the X-box, I always used the longsword, because the rapier just made it WAAaaay too easy, and I would also use the Cutlass once in awhile too.
The thing I want most out of a swordfight is exactly that, a swordfight. If I wanted some hackNslash I would have bought a shooter game or something, which is what it basically turns into with the rapier.
However, on my computer now, I seem to be having a glitch with the swordfight scenes only on the boats where the action goes incredibly slow, as if in slow-motion, while at every other point in the game it's at a regular speed. For these times I /need/ to choose a rapier, just because if I don't, the game doesn't even read my response quick enough (you figure that if it's going slower, hey, you've got all the time in the world - but nope, means it has trouble even reading ANY command you input).
My preference is Longsword, however, but again, totally personal preference. I like some strategy in my sword-fights. Wink
Mooncusser
Powder Monkey

1572 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Rapier - because I do use it the most right now, but I am starting to think that I am going to have to learn the Cutlass better.

I was playing last night when I got a little full of myself (playing Adventurer) and attacked a Treasure Ship outside Havana. Now, normally a Treasure Ship isn't really a problem for me - and this one wasn't either. I had about 130 men on my fully-upgraded Brig of War (stolen from William Kidd). (BTW - I know not many like sailing a BoW, and I can't say it's the best ship either, but it has served its purpose for a long time, now - providing me with a decent amount of storage, firepower and maneuverability.)

However, I had just made an attempt to sneak into Havana (chasing Montalban) and failed. Oops or blush This slightly reduced my crew count.

I split my crew up to save the ship and carry its full load of spices somewhere to sell. Of course, no sooner had I captured the ship than a fully-loaded War Galleon pirate hunter comes out chasing me from Havana. I take it on, too - figuring that I will just close fast and duel him for the victory.

Here's the problem: The Treasure Galleon is hurt (not really badly, but hurt) from the earlier battle, so is requiring a lot of crew to keep it moving. Consequently, my BoW only has about 40 men or so crewing it. I close with the War Galleon and board (I take a shot or two, but nothing deadly). With a 200-40 man advantage, the military captain is much faster than I am and immediately rocks me back on my feet Duelling - especially because I defend so slow with the Rapier. So, overboard I go - losing my precious BoW. Shocked

Now I am ticked that I lost, so I take the pirate hunter on with my Treasure Galleon. Long story short - he beats me again and puts me in Havana's jail. I did escape, but this whole episode has cost me a year or so of time in the brig, the loss of my main ship, and I never got any solid info on Montalban... Urghing?

So now the dread pirate Mooncusser is sailing the enemy waters off Havana with no good leads on his enemies, a leaky, non-upgraded Treasure Galleon as his flagship, and a crew of ~80. The good news? I still have a hold full of spices (why didn't they confiscate those?) and 230,000 of gold in the "bank".

Important lessons - 1) a middle age pirate shouldn't take fencing so lightly, 2) a middle aged pirate should make sure that he has the odds more on his side before entering a fight, and 3) a middle aged pirate should learn to use a weapon that provides him with a little bit more defensive chance against his younger, more capable opponents...
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is strange to me, because I have found the rapier to be the best weapon all around at all points in the game. I've used both the longsword and cutlass on occasion, but the only difference I can tell is that they both slow you down. All my moves are faster with the rapier, whether attacking or defending and I can tell you I would not relish a fight against a rapier-wielding Montalban with me using a cutlass. I guess if you only parry and thrust it would work, but I have no trouble defending with rapier. Maybe I should just take to using the cutlass for one game to learn to use it better? Dunno... don't think you can beat the rapier for its swiftness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mooncusser
Powder Monkey

1572 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I haven't actually tested the Cutlass out too much - but my problems are usually jumping or ducking out of the way quickly enough. I am hoping the Cutlass is better at that.

I will say that the Cutlass is MUCH slower on the attack. You basically don't have a prayer of landing anything other than a thrust on any decent opponent.
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I am young... I like cutlass... it just look damn cool...

When I am old... I prefer rapier... it helps to move into defensive position faster. Plus, it slashes faster than cutlass when the opportunity surface.

But... if you time your "8" and "2" just right... you can do damange on your opponent no matter what sword you got... Except, I am still not at that level yet...
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many years ago when I was playing the original Pirates! game I would use the long sword because it would keep the opponent further away from you and it was a good all around choice. Now in this new game I use the rapier because it is quicker. But I must say that the difference of swords in this new game doesn't seem to be as great as in the first game.
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
Many, many years ago when I was playing the original Pirates! game I would use the long sword because it would keep the opponent further away from you and it was a good all around choice. Now in this new game I use the rapier because it is quicker. But I must say that the difference of swords in this new game doesn't seem to be as great as in the first game.

I fancied the longsword, too. I almost always use the rapier now because of the speed. I have to disagree on there not being much difference. I see a huge difference in speed of attack between rapier and cutlass. I see a noticeable difference between rapier and longsword, although it's not as great a difference as between rapier and cutlass... which makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: