Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New section under Hints&Strategies?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

New forum section for orienteering?
Yeah, I'm always lost and such a place for advice would be useful!
66%
 66%  [ 10 ]
No, I can find the treasures just fine and those you cannot, can get advice in the General section
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: New section under Hints&Strategies? Reply with quote

Seeing the number of questions we get about treasure maps etc. would you think it a good idea if we added a new subsection under Hints&Strategies for treasure maps, relative location maps etc. alone? Do you think it would be useful?

And if it would be useful, what should the name of the section be?

Votes and arguments for and against are welcome!
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it. I never get lost with maps, but I'm no good at helping other people with them, as I use the whole telescope-on-a-hill strategy. So, if I don't have to see those posts, I'll be happier.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get lost much anymore, but I voted yea because I think a section for that is a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There do seem to be quite a bit of Treasure Hunting Requests. I think it would be good to plug them all into one furom, if anything, to make it easier for assistants to know when help was needed. Secondly, to clear up the General forum for all others.

I think most of the groups under the Hints section grew from just this type of questioning. Thusly they were born.

I think this one warrants it's own section based on the long history of traffic specific to one type of request, Help with a map.

Have an Army Day
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have a large enough proportion of postings dealing with interpreting maps and other cartographic matters (such as the fact that settlements and coastal landmarks change from game to game; amazing how many people don't realize that at first) to set aside a forum dedicated to the subject.
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a good idea and would help new members out...
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted.... Drum roll please ... *hear the drums rolling in the backgroud* ... the suspense..

hmmmm...

oh .. Alright already .... "YES!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this topic has been languishing here for a while.

The Vote was done, with a resounding Yea. We may have not had many voters. But for those of us that did, we agreed to establish a new Forum under the Hints & Strageties section.

I understand that it will take some time to move most of the older topics into a new forum. But we should at least create the location, so newer users can place their questions in a more appropiate locale.

I also recommend the placement of a sticky regarding the way to post a request. A simple sentence or two show suffice. Something along the lines of "Please help me find..." followed by a posting of their current map.

To assist the posting of the map, a copy of steps from previous posts on the use, care and feeding of a fossa...erm...Blush.....on the use of a free image hosting service, and steps to properly link the image into a post should be included.

I restate the obvious, that this should begin soon, so we can help those in need. When time permits, troll the boards and relocate older topics to the new forum.

Thank you for listening. I hope we can begin with the migration soon.

Have an Army Day
Vulture
Gunner

606 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes wolfwood, this a great idea. How many times do we get the same question over and over again on maps, lost cities, navigation on land just because the answers are difficult to find in this forum. It is a victim of its own sucsess in this failure. The new topic will help cleave the pertinent information from the fat of the forum, and narrow interested parties down to a smaller swell rather than the tidal wave we have now.

There have been many iformative posts done on these subjects, and if you're up to the challenge of seperating them out into a new group, please do so.

32 brightly polished cannons, a bottle o'rum, ahh..... a pirates life for me!
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP

Bumping to get this going...We now have a post in "Pirates! Chat" requesting help with a map...

Please, let's get this new Topic started!!!

I'll even help by coming up with a copy of a post or two on the steps for hosting a map image, and how to show it in a post. So that it can be sticky'd.

After that, someone can troll the other Sub Forums and move all the older Map Help Request's into the new Topic as time permits.

But, this is getting lost in the Suggestion Forums.

It's a viable Topic Heading, has multiple requests, and even if the "General" can cover it, it should have it's own Topic, same as all the current Topics of Life at Sea, Dancing, and others.

This is one of the mini-games, and as such, should have it's own Heading.

As all who read my posts, you know how much I want this to become the Primary Pirates! fansite on the web!!! By having a centralized Forum for "Map Help Requests", we continue to evolve and grow. Along with looking more professional..so.......

Let's get cracking Team!!!

Have an Army Day
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have an access to the computer for the moment (wife's exercising), I'll get right on it!

You all think "Orienteering" is a suitable title for it?
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it is done. All those with moderator's status can now move threads from other sections into the new "Orienteering" section. I already moved a few of them.
Luiz
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this , but I am new to the game and yet , I find that if you look at the map properly , there is no problem finding the treasure.
The biggest hint , when you are onland looking for it , is the cross with skulls on it's ends , over a small dome. Telescope will help , but , never needed it. Maybe I am lucky Laughing
It's all part of learning to play the game.
If new comers go into the GUIDE next to FORUM, there is plenty to read.
I started reading it yesterday Wink
Young gun
Powder Monkey

-501 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry wolfwood, we have a power spammer here
worse than Prince Scamp
and just to clarify its Young gun

Please ban by IP.

Signed
Rupertlittlebear

IP banned as requested - Wolfie
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted over 2 pages of nothing but the same spam post by Young gun

locked pending IP ban.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: