Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Special moves, Feinting and combos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eternal
Powder Monkey

320 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Special moves, Feinting and combos Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with all of the above.

Special moves: As in the special comebacks or the "opportunities" as I heard someone call it (?). Are they even possible on apprentice because if I jump/duck to early I just get hit when I stand back up or hit the deck.

Along with this I also have noticed the hooks and the buckets. Do they do anything apart from add some variety to fights? I see them alot and sometimes I use them but it seems to make no difference.

Feinting: It seems to be impossible. I swear! I press the second button maybe straight after the next and I still don't switch! Is it because I'm too fast or too slow?

Combos: I read in an FAQ that it's possible to get combos... I'm not sure if I have because I once got a pretty fast slash followed by a thrust. What usually happens though (not sure if it's a quirk with apprentice or what) is that they try to block the first one after it hits them, this then makes them get hit with the second.
Swordeater
Seaman

2009 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Special moves, Feinting and combos Reply with quote

Eternal wrote:
I'm having trouble with all of the above.

Special moves: As in the special comebacks or the "opportunities" as I heard someone call it (?). Are they even possible on apprentice because if I jump/duck to early I just get hit when I stand back up or hit the deck.

Along with this I also have noticed the hooks and the buckets. Do they do anything apart from add some variety to fights? I see them alot and sometimes I use them but it seems to make no difference.

Feinting: It seems to be impossible. I swear! I press the second button maybe straight after the next and I still don't switch! Is it because I'm too fast or too slow?

Combos: I read in an FAQ that it's possible to get combos... I'm not sure if I have because I once got a pretty fast slash followed by a thrust. What usually happens though (not sure if it's a quirk with apprentice or what) is that they try to block the first one after it hits them, this then makes them get hit with the second.

Special Moves: I don't understand this Oops or blush Question

The hooks and buckets and stuff are supposed to be better than the normal counterpart in some respect... maybe it's faster or stuff.

Feinting: I think you are too fast. I just fought a feint-happy Henry Morgan and he almost did a chop attack first, THEN switched to something else. My 2 pieces of eight.

Combos: I'm not sure, but I think that's the point.
brigatetour1700
Seaman

463 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is referring to the special moves like when you are fighting someone and they do an overhead chop. You press the duck button and instead you jump back on your hand to evade the attack and then strike back automatically. Or when your oppenent strikes low and you do a backflip to avoid the attack and automatically counter with an uppercut.
Swordeater
Seaman

2009 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, then that is a small bonus too. It is good for catching your enemy off-guard.
Eternal
Powder Monkey

320 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my message was somewhat fragmented. Oops or blush I'm a very fragmented person you see Razz. But in special moves I was refferring to both the little hooks and the special block moves. And I know it means they can't block but I just want to know why I can't do it. Is it that I suck or because I'm on apprentice?

I really haven't noticed anything with the hooks though. They seem the same as a normal attack.
Swordeater
Seaman

2009 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eternal wrote:
Yes my message was somewhat fragmented. Oops or blush I'm a very fragmented person you see Razz. But in special moves I was refferring to both the little hooks and the special block moves. And I know it means they can't block but I just want to know why I can't do it. Is it that I suck or because I'm on apprentice?

I really haven't noticed anything with the hooks though. They seem the same as a normal attack.

I think it's a little faster or something like that. The hooks, I mean.
I think you can only use them in certain places, with certain moves. You might throw one of those hooks at the other guy, for example, by using the slash attack. Thrust doesn't activate this and AFAIK chop doesn't either.
It's obvious why the special dodges are good - they automatically strike back and your opponent usually can't dodge it.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swordeater wrote:
Eternal wrote:

I think it's a little faster or something like that. The hooks, I mean.
I think you can only use them in certain places, with certain moves. You might throw one of those hooks at the other guy, for example, by using the slash attack. Thrust doesn't activate this and AFAIK chop doesn't either.
It's obvious why the special dodges are good - they automatically strike back and your opponent usually can't dodge it.

You can only use the hook or bucket when it is directly beside you and even then you don't always use it. With the slash you kick the bucket at your opponents shins sending him back 2 steps or slash his shins with the hook, again 2 steps back.
When using the Chop, you lift the hook with your foot and catch it, then hit the opponent in the head or with the bucket swinging it around to hit him in the head. I haven't found these moves to be any faster or slower than the normal slash or chop
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In effect, I think the bucket and hook special maneuvers are the same as the backflip and handspring special maneuvers that you would do in a bar fight. They are just different special effects to give shipboard fights a different feel.
Eternal
Powder Monkey

320 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still having problems with feinting. I've got the combos pretty alright and the hooks and buckets was really just a question to see if they do anything. Which evidently they do not.
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eternal,
Are you using the key pad? I am not sure it will work so well with the mouse. Also, try rapier if you are using a different weapon. You might also try feinting after you have used a parry/block. I get good results by blocking, followed by a fient high or low and a strike from the opposite position.
Eternal
Powder Monkey

320 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm using the pad. I usually try (I've tried after and before a block) doing a slash/chop combo.
brigatetour1700
Seaman

463 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to pull off the move where you evade the coming attack (such as jump back onto your hand) and counter it with your own (slash back)?
Asclepius
Cutthroat

11341 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brigatetour1700, it is all in the timing. Sometimes when you do the High defense «8», you just jump. If your opponent is somewhat slow, you can hold the 8 and you'll actually 'hover', or so it seams. Same with the Low defense «2», if you just press and release, you may stand too early, and still get catch a blade.

I grab the rope and bounce back onto the arm (with automatic counter moves) quite often, but still I often just jump or duck.

Pretty cool to get the extra action when you time it right though!!
Eternal
Powder Monkey

320 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you have to press the button as soon as you see him draw back. If you're on apprentice I believe it is impossible or extremely hard although I've seen the enemy do it a few times.

And thanks to ye Asclepius for telling me to hold it I never tried that and the pirates with the cutlasses often murdered me because I ducked way before they hit me and was I'm so skilled that I stand up just as he hits me...
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite feint is to start with a parry ('5' on the numpad). My opponent will inevitably taunt me, and then I can catch him with a quick thrust or low slash while he's calling me names....

The trick to feinting is the timing. You can't just mash buttons and hope for the best. You have to feint, then wait until your opponent responds to the feint, and then you can attack.

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: