Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Double fakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Double fakes Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to beat a guy when he double fakes on you? What I mean is when a guy goes to a low slash fakes and then goes right back to the low slash. It seems like if I push the jump key to early he does this and no matter how many times, when, or how hard I push the button again he always gets me with this. Typically I just avoid it by waiting for the attack to come in before jumping but I occassionally make the mistake of reacting too quickly.

Kirk Vollmer
Don't ever call me Captain Kirk.
Valparaiso University Alumni; Class of 2004
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah unfortuneately you do have to wait to make sure that is what he is going to do. If you jump the gun take the hit like a man and fake him out.. Remember that is a 2 way street Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GreyFox
Swabbie

663 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if he fakes,a Cutlass gives ya the time to react.
If your using any other weapon,though,it's not that bad to get hit once.
Just take the offensive yourself,and don't give him time to fool you.
WhiteHawk
Swabbie

140 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well generally I don't defend too much, because I like to get it done fast with the rapier. Strike here, strike there, and they usually don't have time to react and if they do then the next attack will get them. No worries. Sure, there have been times where they started attacking me countless times and then it looks like he's in the middle of an endless combo so even If I jump I get hit anyway. On that occasion I just hit 5. I think it's the fastest block and with the rapier if you manage to do one of those you should get your "attacking turn" back. Duelling
FaustIX
Powder Monkey

52 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he tries to go for a sweep, don't try to dodge. Go for a quick thrust. It will interrupt his attack, and you can still be on the offensive. I don't dodge period. I just go for an attack when the other swordsman is in attack (unless I'm messing around in a tavern). If you dodge when fighting other captains, your number of pirates will still go down, so what's the point? If he tries a feint, thrust him.
prideassassin
Swabbie

89 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you favor one particular attack, the computer will take notice and exploit you. Vary your attacks with a rapier, and you should never lose.
Bermuda_Shorts
Swabbie

156 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, if I don't care about style and I'm in a hurry (boarding a ship with more crew than me) I usually go 1 1 7 7 etc, no fakes or blocking or dodges or taunts, just plain attacking with a rapier. I never use 4 except as a fake because for some reason the AI seems predisposed to believe that you're try the middle stab as opposed to low slash or high slash.

Ahh, the good old days.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: