Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Computer is REALLY bad at the Land Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perry
Swabbie

2746 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: The Computer is REALLY bad at the Land Battles Reply with quote

Isn't the computerplayer really stupid in those land battles?

Regularly, they split their forces, so that only 1/2 of their units are attacking my units, while the other 1/2 are out walking the woods or something else unuseful.

Also, they ALWAYS walk into the firiing range of the Buccaneers, so that the Pirates ALWAYS get the 1st fire in the battle.

Also, I am playing at Rogue level: My Buccaneers does more damage during firing than both Guards & Infantry. I suppose Pirates were better trained than regular troops during this time Smile
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often noticed this myself.
However, I'm not complaining! Victorious
I'm not very fond of the land battle aspect of the game, so I don't need it to be better.
What I would like is a better AI running the ship to ship battles.
But...
It's not gonna happen.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, the AI (aye? AI? get it? Ar har har har!) is none too adroit- although I always fight a battle with the utmost care to save my troops and rout the enemy.

it was by sacking cities, with impunity, that I pulled ahead of Henry Morgan as Number One.
Victorious
Dutchmans Bane
Powder Monkey

153 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it always seemed to me that the AI was trying to outflank you, which I thought was a more intelligent strategy than "rush all units at the player's position," which I think some games do.

And that cavalry, if you seem them, run into the jungle as fast as you can.
Perry
Swabbie

2746 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchmans Bane wrote:
Well, it always seemed to me that the AI was trying to outflank you, which I thought was a more intelligent strategy than "rush all units at the player's position," which I think some games do.

Maybe they try to outflank, but it sure looks to me as "rush all units at the player's position", since they almost exclusively come at you with a frontal assault.

And that is a frontal assault which always, always ALWAYS lets the human player have a first shot attack with its buccaneers. Furthermore, if they come at you piecemeal, you'll be able to break them and only take none to minimum casualties.

Well now, no big deal for me, this is just an observation of mine.
Hey, it more fun to be able to sack Panama with 150 men , rather than having to amass 400-500 guys! Smile

Cheers [/b]
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have no concept of uphill or downhill, and they always fire into the trees.

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe they try to outflank, but it sure looks to me as "rush all units at the player's position", since they almost exclusively come at you with a frontal assault.

And that is a frontal assault which always, always ALWAYS lets the human player have a first shot attack with its buccaneers. Furthermore, if they come at you piecemeal, you'll be able to break them and only take none to minimum casualties.

Your buccaneers should hit them first; buccaneers have a longer range than the enemy. I usually have my buccaneers combine their fire, fall back, and fire again. Then my pirates and officers cut into the demoralized enemy- preferably by flank attacks.

I would like to have some way of organizing my men tactically before the battle; but a little maneuvering around reveals the enemy, so it's just an inconvenience, not a problem...

Quote:
...that cavalry, if you seem them, run into the jungle as fast as you can.

Aye, the sight of cavalry does force me to seek cover in the trees. Don't challenge enemy horse on open ground, unless you are attacking their flank.

Know where the enemy is, and how many; know his strengths and weaknesses, and know yours; hit him at long range; hit him in the flank!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: