Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Calfskin boots ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BosPus
Powder Monkey

776 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Calfskin boots ? Reply with quote

I have reloaded my game hundreeds of times and the dude in tavern won't offer me them .. Are they more rare than other items ?

Dude offers everything except stuff for dancing .. i'm so frustrated atm .. i stopped playing like a week ago .. now i just load to get them boots but nothing

+ I need the boots if i want to dance perfecly on many occasions Sad

help me plx .. ooargh mateys .. i suck as a pirate without them calfskin boots ..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Strange thing happened after i just posted this .. dude offered me them after 3 loads !! After hours of loading argh !! I'm so happy pirate now ..

Thanks ! It must be some guardian pirate spirit on this forum .. protector of all pirates .. as soon as i wrote this i got calfskin boots !! But before i wrote this .. it took me many hours of loading and nothing ! Now i can continue my adventure ! Smile

Thank you guardian pirate spirit Smile
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you go after the wanted criminals as well. When you have most of the special items and are only missing a few the chances are better of getting them from a wanted criminal after defeating them in the tavern. Duelling
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you can't get boots by romancing an attractive daughter. You might think they would want to help out their dance partners, but I think they view dancing as a test, and they don't want to help you cheat on the test.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Calfskin boots ? Reply with quote

BosPus wrote:
Are they more rare than other items ?
They're no more rare than any other special item, with the exception of the ring and necklace. They do seem to be offered later in the game though, after you have most of the other items. I find the rutters are often offered later in my games as well and who needs them then? I still buy them just so he offers something else on the next visit.
One strategy you might want to try on your next game is to get all four map pieces of the first treasure map, then hold off on digging it up for as long as you can. This will insure that you get a better variety of special items earlier in the game.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Calfskin boots ? Reply with quote

loki59 wrote:
One strategy you might want to try on your next game is to get all four map pieces of the first treasure map, then hold off on digging it up for as long as you can. This will insure that you get a better variety of special items earlier in the game.

Thanks for the useful tip!
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How does this strategy work, exactly?

We acquire all special items three different ways, as we all know:

1)By purchase (from the Mysterious Stranger):

2) By taking a bribe (from a vanquished criminal):

3)Dancing, fairly well to superbly, with Governor's daughters of varying degrees of pulchritude.

Due diligence, much money, superior swordsmanship, and terpsichorean talent is needed to get the whole collection...

Is there some magic way, then, to get good stuff faster? For I fear I misunderstand ye, loki.
Lost

But understand me, mateys all, when I wish ye a Happy New Year!
Very Happy
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - Here's what I think Loki is saying: The mysterious stranger can offer you various things, including information, special items, and pieces of treasure maps. If you are holding all four pieces of a treasure map, then he cannot offer you another map piece until you dig up the treasure on your current map. Therefore, he must offer you either information or an item. Assuming what he offers is determined randomly, there is a greater chance he will offer you an item when he cannot offer you a map piece.

Of course, you'll still have to pay for the item. I have found that the price of items is correlated with the wealth of the city. The cheapest items are found in settlements.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roland, you have it, exactly. Smile
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Roland and loki. I reckon I understand now!

-Although one should expect such clearness of mind from one named after a heroic Frankish warrior, and one other after a Norse god- devious though that Loki was-

Anyway I digress. I claim that a surfeit of the writings of Henry Fielding and Samuel Richardson have made me more inclined to digress...
Reading

But, I digress again.

To the point then, go we.

This is what I understand from ye, shipmates:

Viz:

When one Thing can no longer be offer'd to You (the Thing being compleat, like the four Pieces of a Map), the remaining Things (fuch as Items or Information) become, by ye decreaf'd Odds, more probably forthcoming from ye Mysterious Stranger.

In such a Manner, you will be inform'd, by very pleafeant Governor's Daughters, to chafe after Criminals, after you have already effeckted ye refcue of your Family, and vanquish' d Montalban, and found ye Four Loft Treafures...&c.

As for ye Truth that Items are affuredly cheaper in Settlements or Pyrate Havens, that is indeed another reafon why I do ftop in these little Places of refort for a Spell. And, upon my Stay at a Pyrate Haven, I always invite a Pyrate Ship out, so I can capture it from ye Honourlefs Rogues, and thus make ye Refources won therof from ye Pyrate Prize pay for ye Week loft in the aforementioned, odious Place.

So ends my imitation of late 17th century- early 18th century writing.

By the way, Roland, you may think of naming one of your ship Durandal, after Roland's sword...
Duelling
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:
By the way, Roland, you may think of naming one of your ship Durandal, after Roland's sword...

The first time I played as a Frenchman, I named my character Roland and took my ships' names from The Song of Roland, including Veillantif (after his horse) and Olifant (after his horn), as well as Durendal.

BTW, I originally took the name Roland from the Warren Zevon song, "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner," and only later began to identify with the famous knight of Charlemagne's court.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...the famous knight of Charlemagne's court...

Ah, me, yes. The historical fellow Hruoland, Warden of the Frankish March, as I am sure ye are aware, was slain when some Basques attacked the rearguard of the Frankish army near Roncesvalles- hoping to get some rich treasure from the equipage I suppose.

The same mentality that makes us, over time, imagine little fish as big catches, makes his death into a heroic last stand against myriads of Saracens.

Such is mythology. In some nations it sneaks in with its occasional friend, patriotism...
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
BTW, I originally took the name Roland from the Warren Zevon song, "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner," and only later began to identify with the famous knight of Charlemagne's court.

Excellent choice in either case. Love that song, and many more Zevon tunes.

One favorite that does not seem to get played so often is Veracruz (Zevon and Jose Calderon) A little later time period than our game, but beautiful and ironic.

http://www.last.fm/music/Warren+Zevon/_/Veracruz
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wrote so many great songs. I was fortunate to see him perform live not too long before he was diagnosed with cancer. My favorite Zevon album is still "Sentimental Hygiene," which I especially rely on when recovering from emotional turmoil caused by women.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: