Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Which sword do you use and why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Fencing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which sword do you use and why?
Rapier
68%
 68%  [ 114 ]
Longsword
17%
 17%  [ 29 ]
Cutlass
13%
 13%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 166

sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns Blazing or Duelling mmmmmmm

I know guns weren't a choice - but we are Pirates - why should we have to play by the rules. Very Happy
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know guns weren't a choice - but we are Pirates - why should we have to play by the rules. Very Happy

Aye. But what type of gun? I'd like a nice arquebus. Maybe even a laser cannon.

I'm sure Rupert will recognize this picture.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if all Else Fails : Nuke 'em - Unless Photo Bucket is down for maintenance - which I have just found out Sad - I had a very nice Animated Mushroom Cloud I was going to use.

Photobucket Site Maintenance

Images and videos may continue to serve during this short maintenance

ARRRRRRRR!!! - Looks Like I have the touch of Death to Web Sites at the moment !

Evil or Very Mad
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now - It is Working.

Ready - Aim - Fire !!!!!!!!!

ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww.. we're going have to glue them back together....
Never bring a raiper to a nuke fight.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some sessions at the Fencing Academy, I've developed my own Fencing strategy based on using the Longsword: (refer to the picture below)

-If your opponent chop, you duck, then thrust
-If your opponent thrust, you parry, then thrust
-If your opponent slash, you jump, then chop

When you play at higher difficulty, you notice that you can thrust immediately after dodging your enemys attack. But if you try to slash for instance, you will have to finish your dodging move, then your character slash.

Luckily, you can chop immediately after a jump, but after a jump only.

This strategy should work with a Rapier as well, but your reactions will have to be quick as lightning. However if you try this with a Cutlass, in my experience your chop will be to slow, even when timing it right after the jump.. you can thrust after every dodging move, but I prefer using the Longsword.

I only employ this strategy versus Montalban and other hard opponents, against the rest i use the Rapier, and I apply this strategy:

-If your opponent chop, you duck, then slash
-If your opponent slash, you jump, then chop

I rarely attack myself, but when i do i vary between chopping and slashing, as the opponents seem to always parry my thrusts.

And if your opponent is really slow, you can even thrust every time he chops or slashes, as your attack will hit before his.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru wrote:

That can be effective against a slow opponent, but against tough opponents I find it does not work to count-thrust every time my opponent thrusts. Depending on the opponent, I might have to parry two, three, or even four thrusts before I can score with a counter-thrust. With each parry, the advantage bar shifts a little in my favor.

Against the toughest opponents, I find I can never score with a counter-thrust. But if I parry six consecutive thrusts, my opponent becomes too tired to jump, and then I can score with a slash. Usually when he gets that tired he will take a break from attacking - that's how I know he is vulnerable. This has worked even against Montalban and the Spanish fiance in the Fencing Academy if I wait for the advantage bar to shift far enough.

On the other hand, I would hesitate to generalize about Montalban. I think his special ability changes, so a trick that works one time might not work the next.

(I normally use a cutlass against tough opponents, so my attacks are a bit slower than yours with the longsword.)
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
That can be effective against a slow opponent, but against tough opponents I find it does not work to count-thrust every time my opponent thrusts.

I think if you time it right, your thrust will hit even against a fast opponent, just start the attack as soon as you parry: If you are precise with the timing you will hit them most of the time. Duelling

Maybe this won't work as well when using a Cutlass though..
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think if you time it right, your thrust will hit even against a fast opponent, just start the attack as soon as you parry...

I find the best strategy is also to act defensively first, then attack- let your opponent make the first move, then strike when he overextends himself, without overextending yourself- in other words, jump then thrust, parry then thrust, duck then thrust, depending on his attacks.

This is especially helpful when fighting a certain bewigged redcoat Captain in a tavern and a Spanish nobleman who seems to have locked up your family members into identical looking little cabins...those are epic fights.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:
in other words, jump then thrust, parry then thrust, duck then thrust, depending on his attacks.

give "jump, then chop" a try.
you will be surprised at how fast you counterattack Cool
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru wrote:

you will be surprised at how fast you counterattack Cool

Duelling

The Old Pirate / Ninja Jump and Chop move.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I often do this when fighting a longsword or cutlass wielder, but those coves with rapiers often act very quickly...

Still, I will try it sometime.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:
Quote:

I often do this when fighting a longsword or cutlass wielder, but those coves with rapiers often act very quickly...

Still, I will try it sometime.

I tried Jump and chop last night - I could not master the timing - so I have gone back to hack and slash Smile
Allronix
Swabbie

1871 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the old game, Cutlass. On the current Rapier. In the classic, the cutlass had shorter reach, but did more damage, allowing you to finish the fight quickly. On the current version, rapier allows you to attack quickly, and avoid prolonged fights.

Calico Jack? Hang him - but ALWAYS recruit his lieutenants!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LesBrisant
Powder Monkey

298 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played for a bit again now and I've decided that it depends on the opponent. Against the Marquis Montalban, Raymonda and most other ship/ship battles I think I might used the Rapier now. I traditionally used the cutlass but I notice it often results in my jumping to avoid an attack being so quick that I get hit by it anyway.

But against Fiancees and CoGs? The Cutlass. It's all I can play with. The attack animations of it can't even keep up with the movements my pirate can make. With it, I can jump a slash from a longsword Fiancee moving like he's just taken enough speed to put all the Jamaican sprinters in the world to shame and still manage to chop him in the face.

It looks really weird though. I jump with the sword half way through my foot, land back when it should have impaled my head, already have my chop up, do the MC Hammer slide into the guy and manage to hit him. It's really pr trippy.

I can't play against them with the Rapier though. I can't get my defence up quick enough. You can never parry their thrusts and you're lucky to jump their slashes/duck chops. With the cutlass you seem to be able to pull off alien blocking styles.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: