Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Cannon question for XBOX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derfasciti
Powder Monkey

626 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Cannon question for XBOX Reply with quote

Ok, I just got the game for xbox and it is really fun but the cannon thing is stressing me out. I believe on the PC version I could buy cannon from a merchant but now I can't. I have a brigantine that can hold up to 20 cannon and it only allows me to shoot 4 cannon. If anyone could give me any help, I'd appreciate it.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the game, but this is how I understand it to work:

Each ship class has a set maximum of cannons, but when the ships are generated by the game, the number of cannons is randomised so that you can have a sloop of war with 10 cannons and another with 18 cannons and there's no way to chance that.

Also, when you capture enemy ships, you should be careful NOT to destroy their cannons if you wish to use their ship as your own. Just cripple them with chain shot and attack. There's a thread in the X-Box chat that discusses this in more detail, but basically, if you encounter a enemy brig with 16 cannons and shoot it until it only has 1 and only then capture it, you may be forever doomed to have a brig with only 1 cannon (unless you sell or sink the ship, of course).
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the thread I saw, if you defeat a ship in a sea battle -- it hoists the white flag, or surrenders when you board -- any cannon lost in combat are restored. But if you have to duel the enemy captain, any lost cannon are gone for good.

Yeah, it sounds silly to me, too.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGM3 wrote:
According to the thread I saw, if you defeat a ship in a sea battle -- it hoists the white flag, or surrenders when you board -- any cannon lost in combat are restored. But if you have to duel the enemy captain, any lost cannon are gone for good.

Yeah, it sounds silly to me, too.

Would make for an interesting challenge... but how many ways to say this..

Thanks.. Um.... but ... NO THANKS!!!

yeah that about sums it up... good luck x-box players of Pirates! .. I will stick with my PC version ... thank you .. have a nice day.

Honestly I don't think its fair they did this to x-box players. What was the advantage of making the game so it would be hard to trade out cannons?

*** OK maybe an answer to my own question but if you can take your flagship to Multiplayer online battle that me be more of an incentive to decide on the ship. That way noone can have there ships fully stacked. Just a thought.. not sure anyone on X-box please correct me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Derfasciti
Powder Monkey

626 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. Very Happy
McGrude
Powder Monkey

14 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PiratesFan"]
CGM3 wrote:
...but if you can take your flagship to Multiplayer online battle that me be more of an incentive to decide on the ship. That way noone can have there ships fully stacked. Just a thought.. not sure anyone on X-box please correct me

You get a list of pre-configured boats to pick from for the muilti-player mode on XBox.

-McGrude
Jormengrund
Powder Monkey

80 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my X-box experience, you can gain more cannon, however, there's a set limit to how many you can have on just one ship. Therefore, even if you do carry around 100 cannon, you can only use however many that ship allows. Some Sloops can carry 10, others 18.. depends on the ship, and general spawning, I think. I have been playing for two months now, and I've got three ship-of-the-line frigates, each with varying amounts of cannon they can carry.. I don't know how to explain it better than that. You can't buy or sell cannon, they just appear and disappear.. if you can get more, they add to your ship, and when you don't need them, they're dumped, I think. If someone out there knows better about this, feel free to tell me I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time! Very Happy

Jorm
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many cannons could your largest Ship of the Line carry Jormengrund? In the pc version, Ships of the Line all have a set limit of 48 cannons Neutral
Sonicsfan
Cutthroat

1729 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather play on console,playing with keyboard is more difficult and less fun.
Sigrah
Powder Monkey

225 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru wrote:
How many cannons could your largest Ship of the Line carry Jormengrund? In the pc version, Ships of the Line all have a set limit of 48 cannons Neutral

Ships of the Line can only carry 40 guns max. I've captured 6 so far (all French), and all of them have only had 40 guns total, no more, no less. On the plus side, guns don't take up any cargo space, so you can actually have 100 tons of food to feed a fully manned SOTL (450 people). The thing I found odd, though, is that I managed to destroy some guns on a SOTL that I was fighting, but it still ended up with 40 guns anyways.
Irish Jim
Seaman

4424 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XBOX is funny with the cannons. I was sailing around in my Brig of War "Banshee" loaded with 32 cannon, and lost a duel with Stede Bonnet (I KNOW! I KNOW! I was like 40 years old and it was the only game that I haven't used the Fencing skill, and no upgrades either... gimme some slack!). Anyway, after he marooned me, I got picked up by a Sloop, and she had 32 cannon! So, we proceeded to sink LOTS of ships at that point!
Smile
Dunkel
Powder Monkey

308 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it can be a bit frustrating. I'll try the thing of not destroying any cannon during the battle and see what happens. Sucks to have a frigate or brig of war and only be able to shoot half a dozen cannon.
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On xbox, when you lose cannons in ship to ship combat, they can be restored by repairing your ship at port.

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Xbox Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: