Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Attacking cities
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bermuda_Shorts
Swabbie

156 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Riddle wrote:
Generally, failed AI attacks of any type are far more likely to reduce the garrison than successful ones, but will not affect population or wealth. Native attacks are the best choice for softening up a target because they do not lower the wealth level and can actually increase the wealth rating of the town because it takes less to make a smaller town wealthier.

Indeed. My most commonly used method when attacking a larger city such as Panama or Havana is to send in both pirates AND indians with the pirates arriving first. That way, the pirates are almost guaranteed to lose (therefore, decreasing the number of garrison without lessening the wealth), and then let the indians come in and clean up what is left, so when I finally attack, the city can have 150-200 less garrison and even more wealth than before.

Ahh, the good old days.
Dutchmans Bane
Powder Monkey

153 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My basic strategy is to have a core of buccaneer units on top of a hill, with pirates guarding the flanks of the core (preferably in the woods/forest/jungle). The general gist is for the buccaneers to shoot up as much of the opposition as they can, while the pirates guard against any flanking/overrunning on the part of the city guards.
maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bermuda_Shorts wrote:
Captain Riddle wrote:
Generally, failed AI attacks of any type are far more likely to reduce the garrison than successful ones, but will not affect population or wealth. Native attacks are the best choice for softening up a target because they do not lower the wealth level and can actually increase the wealth rating of the town because it takes less to make a smaller town wealthier.

Indeed. My most commonly used method when attacking a larger city such as Panama or Havana is to send in both pirates AND indians with the pirates arriving first. That way, the pirates are almost guaranteed to lose (therefore, decreasing the number of garrison without lessening the wealth), and then let the indians come in and clean up what is left, so when I finally attack, the city can have 150-200 less garrison and even more wealth than before.

You can send pirates and indians to Panama? How is that?

By the way: Awesome signature! Bringing back the good ol' C64-days.... I'm still searching an emulation of C64-Pirates for the Mac, does anyone have a clue?
Fish
Powder Monkey

188 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="maturin"][quote="Bermuda_Shorts"]
Captain Riddle wrote:

You can send pirates and indians to Panama? How is that?

By the way: Awesome signature! Bringing back the good ol' C64-days.... I'm still searching an emulation of C64-Pirates for the Mac, does anyone have a clue?

For the emulation prog use Vice 64 --- http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/macosx.html

And check out Lemon 64 for Pirates and other great 64 stuff --- http://www.lemon64.com

Idea
Orange Irish
Powder Monkey

332 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Buccaneers win the battle Reply with quote

First, select your starting point based not only on terrain, but whether you're given at least three buccaneers units. If you are given three with terrain that forces the guards to attack you over open field, you're in business. Simply wait for the first unit to come within range and rout them with three rounds of fire from your buccaneers. Even if there's a small % left they won't move forward anymore, or move once and fire (with little effect). Repeat this for each unit that moves into range, while occassionally stepping back before firing to keep the next unit that isn't being routed beyond two spaces away (so they can't attack a buccaneer unit on their next turn). Keep pirate units one step behind the buccaneers units the entire time, and the guards will always advance without firing (unless they've been partially struck).

This strategy keeps your officers/pirates unscathed unless taking on huge numbers. If you're trying a huge upset victory on a big city, position your officers/pirates one space behind a tree line, with buccaneers one step behind (opposite of the above). Simply wait for the guards to get into that last tree filled space (they can't fire on you yet). If your units are spaced you will likely be able to have multiple flank attacks. If not, have your buccaneers fire first (once at each unit in range) and you can still take out multiple units in one turn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: