Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Comparism Old War Galleon - SOTL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteRabbit
Powder Monkey

400 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Comparism Old War Galleon - SOTL Reply with quote

During my career in the old C64 Version of Pirates, i often encountered War Galleons supplied with Cannons and Crew much over the normal maximum of this ship.

These were really hard enemies compared to the common SOTL and they were always a surprise, because you never know how strong your enemy will be. I remember a 64 cannon broadside on my Fast Galleon...

cut a long story short: The new Pirates is gay.
Lord of The Sea
Swabbie

227 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it changed some things,but the new pirates is no gay.The player character is a gay alright,but the game is cool.And to be honest I guess that a SOTL was more powerful than a War Galleon in reality as well.Think about it:the galleons are slow,and the spaniards had a bad time on the sea.In the other hand frigates were both powerful AND fast.It's not a surprise that lots of pirates used frigates(for example,Blackbeard and Henry Morgan were frigate users in the reality as well).And compared to the frigates,all galleons suck because of the lack of speed,even the "Fast" Galleon.In the game,the only galleons worthy to be kept as flagships are:
Colonel Mendoza's Fast Galleon
Baron Raymondo's War Galleon
Marquis Montalban's Flag Galleon
But if you find a Large Frigate or SOTL with lots of upgrades,the galleons are craps.
GreyFox
Swabbie

663 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Pirates isn't gay.
Infact,64 cannons,as you mentioned,is one,BIG amount of cannons.
I'd bet no pirate ever had those many cannons.
Think.That's over sixty.And on a broadside,thus you implying each side had 64 cannons,and thats 128 cannons total,or somehow you could shoot the cannons from bothsides,I dunno,I never played the old Pirates.
Either way,thats a tremendous amount of cannon,most pirates were miserable,but even the famous ones would never outfit a galleon with 64 cannons per side.They rathered faster ships,and that was too heavy for them to function properly,if not too many guns to fit per side.
Thus,even though the unknown strenght of guys you attack is interesting,the new Pirates! doesn't suck at all.Step right up and make better,or get the old one back on market,see if it sells.
Really,while Pirates! lost some things during transition,it doesn't immediately "become" gay.
Your exaggerating,honest.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen more than the maximum guns on any ship in Pirates! Old. I suspect that may have been a bug in the C64 version. Regardless, the advantage that SOLs in this game hold over the War Galleon of old, is that they are dangerously maneuverable. Just because the AI doesn't use them too well, doesn't make them less potentially destructive. Play with a SOL and get the feel of exactly what its cannons can and can't do before you make rash proclamations. As an avid SOL user, I can only tell you that the 48 broadside is completely devastating.

WhiteRabbit
Powder Monkey

400 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the "gay".

The ships with too much cannons were only the pirate hunters in the old game. Near the strong towns, e.g. Cartagena or Santo Domingo i often met huge War Galleons with 200% Crew and Cannons.

I don't think it was a bug, but if it was one, i liked it.

There were much more bugs in the old game and so the whole thing wasn't so much predictable as the new game. Do you understand what i mean? It doesn't make fun if everything is strict to the rules.

Concerning the strength of a SOTL compared to an old War Galleon, i think, it depends much on the computer intelligence. And this hasn't improved since the 80's.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right on the AI thing. It's embarassing how the enemy doesn't know how to use his ships. If he used any Frigates the way they're supposed to be used though, most of us would have been in serious trouble Wink

BTW if you're playing version 1.00 of the game, there's a Trainer you can download (called the Master Trainer). When this trainer is used, sometimes (a bug) an enemy ship will have 80 cannon on board (which is 40 cannonballs each volley, yes 40. A SOL only releases 24). If you want to try it on without the trainer, check out "Fluyt vs. SOL" scenario which can be downloaded from our MODS section. That baby has 80 guns on it, which is enough to ruins anybody's day.

As to being unexpected, the fact that the game is dynamic still makes it very much unexpected. The rules are there to help you, really. Besides, what game doesn't have strict rules?

maturin
Swabbie

1736 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Comparism Old War Galleon - SOTL Reply with quote

WhiteRabbit wrote:
During my career in the old C64 Version of Pirates, i often encountered War Galleons supplied with Cannons and Crew much over the normal maximum of this ship.

These were really hard enemies compared to the common SOTL and they were always a surprise, because you never know how strong your enemy will be. I remember a 64 cannon broadside on my Fast Galleon...

Of course the 2004 Pirates! is not gay... but I understand your point! How exciting was it to find a War Galleon in the C64 version! They were so much harder to fight than a War Galleon and a SOTL in the new version (here, you can take out every ship with a Sloop with Copper Plating and Cotton Sails!)

Anyway both versions are great, love to play both of them!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Comparism Old War Galleon - SOTL Reply with quote

maturin wrote:
WhiteRabbit wrote:

Of course the 2004 Pirates! is not gay... but I understand your point! How exciting was it to find a War Galleon in the C64 version! They were so much harder to fight than a War Galleon and a SOTL in the new version (here, you can take out every ship with a Sloop with Copper Plating and Cotton Sails!)

Anyway both versions are great, love to play both of them!

I agree...
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still Agree
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: