Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Ships You May Have Misjudged
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you changed your mind about certain ships?
Yes, and it's good to learn what works better for me.
83%
 83%  [ 31 ]
No, I accurately anticipated my special vessel(s).
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Not sure; I dont think I know enough yet.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 37

ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid Meier's Pirates! 2: The Final Frontier - Now in 3D
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtraCrispy wrote:
Sid Meier's Pirates! 2: The Final Frontier - Now in 3D

I will wait till it comes it in 5D
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It already is in 5d.
Fourth dimension is time.
Fifth dimension?
It is the dimension of awesome.

SMP takes place in time and contains awesome.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started playing (Back in 05) I fell in love with the brig. The Brigitine was too small, and couldn't manage my supplies well enough for a BoW, but the Brig was just right. Anything bigger, I had a hard time adjusting to. The highest level I got to was journeyman, that may have had something to do with my success. Then I layed off the game for about 10 years (2000 - 2010) and when I came back, even after all that time off, Journeyman was too easy. I played Rogue for two games and now I'm board playing swashbuckler, I use a trainer to make it harder. I found on Rogue I can use an East Indiaman very very well, I played my best game ever with an EI flagship. It was the first ship I took, and I never looked back. But recently, two games ago, I got my first SotL, and it's my new favorite. Knowing how rare they are, I forced myself off my East Indiaman and practiced with Henry Morgan's Large Frigate (So I wouldn't lose my SotL). Frigates are now my favorite, followed closely by the East Indiaman. Never underestimate some of those trade ships, they pack a good punch, and I find ships run a lot less often, it's like they expect you to be weak or something. Psh! On a different note, unlike most I'm finding, I have no preferance with sword, I can use anything, I've only lost about 2 -5 duels in my 6 or 7 years of playing. I use a rapier against most opponents, buy especially on swash when fighting Monty I use a cutlass, it's the only thing that defends fast enough. I can use a longsword and I've always been good at cutlass. I do lean toward the rapier though, I'm so good I can use it only and my current pirate is 46.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Captain Teague!

Do you make use of the East Indiaman's large cargo capacity for trading? That looks like the only advantage of the EI over a frigate.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I've never been one to keep ships, but with the EI, I keep only 1 or 2 months worth of food (about 20 tons) and 20 cannon (the max for the EI) and then I can keep about 100 tons of cargo to sell when I port. And pirates, raiders, and hunters both fight less and just close and board, it's like they expect me to fight like a merchant. Boy are they in for a surprise! Guns Blazing Duelling
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
And pirates, raiders, and hunters both fight less and just close and board, it's like they expect me to fight like a merchant. Boy are they in for a surprise!

That's the opposite of my recent experience with the EI's smaller cousin, the merchantman. Pirates and military vessels would stand at a distance and pound me with broadsides. With my usual mail runner, by contrast, they try to board me as quickly as possible, often without firing a shot.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Roland"]
Captain Teague wrote:
With my usual mail runner,
canoe is a little easier to maneuver
aristarkos
Powder Monkey

536 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rupertlittlebear"]
Roland wrote:
Captain Teague wrote:
With my usual mail runner,
canoe is a little easier to maneuver
I agree. It's easier to dodge fire with the smaller canoe ... on your way in to sword battle.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but since they don't fire at my mail runner, I don't need to dodge. And when they board me (or vice versa) the mail runner gives me a somewhat larger crew for the ensuing melee.
Black Falcon
Swabbie

375 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloops are my "must haves" in my fleet! My absolute favorite among the sloops would have to be a Royal Sloop! Sailor

They're small and compact, but able to take a big "bite" out of the enemy if needed! They can take a beating and remain afloat long enough for me to fing a port to get repairs! They're the fastest ship you can get (second only to Pinnace). Yes,they're hard to find,but that also make them worth more to a pirate. An opponent's sloop most likely won't be a Royal- I've got the upper hand! Smile

Now if I know things are REALLY going to get ugly, my second choice would be a Frigate! Not the Large Frigate- (to me) they "drive like a house"! No a Large Frigate is just too big to (evasively) move like I might need during battle.

A (regular) Frigate is just the right size for me. While it too might not turn quickly (like a sloop), it turns well enough during combat, for me to teach the enemy a lesson! Twisted Evil

In the end, I guess the best ship to use in the game is-

THE ONE THAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU. Wink
Sailor
Big Dog Barque
Powder Monkey

124 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my Ocean Barque "Cujo" from 2005-2009! I recently fell for a Frigate (regular) while going after Henry Morgan on Swashbuckler. I used to be only on Adventurer (though I had fiddled with Rogue). I failed miserablely with Cujo. So I had to put Cujo down! Crying or Very sad
My new ship is the Frigate "Black Magic"! Twisted Evil
I found that even though she hard sailing against the wind (unless it's a war canoe) what ship isn't? I still am trying some new tactics with Black Magic, but I've learned some new tricks that help during a sea battle. Sailor
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Royal Sloops and the Frigate Class, particularly the SotL.

While I had tried war canoes and mail runners before, the war canoes break my immersion ( don't pirates consider them boats rather than ships? ), and mail runners have flimsy hulls. I like the sea battles more than the boarding, so I'd rather trade broadsides than fence.

Since I've joined I have learned to appreciate the war canoe as a flagship piloting my fleet out of the Gulf.

Now that I've read this thread, I think I'll try a Brig of War next time. I had considered brigs to be a traditional Pirate ship, but a compromise in firepower, durability, crew and cargo capacity and speed.

I'm starting to envision the Brig of War as a cross between a Royal Sloop and a frigate. The maneuverability of the first with the firepower of the second.

Is that a fair characterization?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
I'm starting to envision the Brig of War as a cross between a Royal Sloop and a frigate. The maneuverability of the first with the firepower of the second.

But without the top speed of either. (Which doesn't matter if you are using a war canoe to pilot your fleet.)
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! That puts it into perspective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: