Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Next move doesn't light up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markus Troy
Powder Monkey

97 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Next move doesn't light up Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Im new to the game and i don't know if its a bug or not. When im dancing in my current game (adventurer + fencing skill), the following dance moves doesn't light up. I can only read it on the gestures of the girl which is difficult to impossible. Is the difficulty level or the skill the reason for that or is my savegame corrupted?

thx in advance
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been too long (=years) since I last played to say for sure, but it could be a difficulty level deal. Question
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Markus! I think the dance moves only light up when you're playing at Apprentice level. My nephews still play at Apprentice because they don't want to learn to dance without that crutch. But if you want to play at higher difficulty levels you have to learn to follow your dance partner's directions.

I would recommend downloading the Ballroom Dancing School (a collection of savegame files) from the Mods section and practicing dancing for a few hours until you get it down. You will find that dance moves always follow certain fixed patterns, grouped in series of (usually) four moves. As you move up to higher difficulty levels, more complex dance moves will be added.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wolfwood and Roland Are correct.

Been a few years since I have played as well.

FYI - I hate dancing
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think plain daughters may still light up at the 2nd level. Or something like that. I remember there being a difference. Its been a few years since I paid attention to the lights.

Once you get used to the gestures, its just as easy.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
Once you get used to the gestures, its just as easy.

That's true of plain and attractive daughters. Sometimes, however, I find it harder to pick up the getures of beautiful daughters because they're always waving their arms around!

In general, I find attractive daughters the easiest to dance with. I think maybe they are less likely to throw advanced sequences at you than the plain and beautiful daughters. The beauties want to put their many suitors through their paces to try to weed out all but the most qualified. And plain daughters don't have much going on in their pathetic lives, so some of them will obsess over dancing and become experts who want to strut their stuff at the ball when they get the chance.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first dance always has hints showing, even on the harder difficulty levels.

There's a bit for this in the savegame file:
Personal_18_0 : B1 : 00000011 : 000000/have ever danced/1

I agree that the beautiful daughters are trickier to dance with, I think because they move their hands in distracting ways in between dancing hints.
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
In general, I find attractive daughters the easiest to dance with. I think maybe they are less likely to throw advanced sequences at you than the plain and beautiful daughters. The beauties want to put their many suitors through their paces to try to weed out all but the most qualified. And plain daughters don't have much going on in their pathetic lives, so some of them will obsess over dancing and become experts who want to strut their stuff at the ball when they get the chance.

Very insightful analysis...

Have you researched the varying duelling skills of random merchant captains?
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:

I have not done systematic research on the duelling skills of the various opponents in the game - mostly because I don't know how to collect the data.

However, I have noticed that the fencing skills of the various opponents differ widely. They differ not only in overall skill level, but also with respect to their use of particular maneuvers. While some opponents are consistently good (English captain of the guard) and some are consistently poor (Chatterly), merchant captains are among the least predictable. I have occasionally regretted not taking a merchant captain more seriously.

Perhaps such research would be facilitated by jlangsdo's savegame editor. If you could figure out which bytes determine a character's overall fencing skill, special maneuver(s), and weapon choice, then you could gather some data. For ships' captains, I would guess this information might be generated and stored along with the vessel's stats.
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
davyjones wrote:

I have not done systematic research on the duelling skills of the various opponents in the game - mostly because I don't know how to collect the data.

However, I have noticed that the fencing skills of the various opponents differ widely. They differ not only in overall skill level, but also with respect to their use of particular maneuvers. While some opponents are consistently good (English captain of the guard) and some are consistently poor (Chatterly), merchant captains are among the least predictable. I have occasionally regretted not taking a merchant captain more seriously.

Perhaps such research would be facilitated by jlangsdo's savegame editor. If you could figure out which bytes determine a character's overall fencing skill, special maneuver(s), and weapon choice, then you could gather some data. For ships' captains, I would guess this information might be generated and stored along with the vessel's stats.

I meant as an extension of the cynical rationale you used in determining WHY the attractive dancers are the easiest...

ie which ones were bored with smuggling or putting down mutinies. not real- useful technical analysis... Smile
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland, you were right!

I started by boarding the same English Merchantman over and over from the same savegame file. The captain's coat, hat, hair color, and beard (or lack thereof) kept changing, but his form was the same - athletic build with a triangle shaped hat.

So I found another ship, this time a smuggler, an English Sloop - and there the captain always had a pony tail.

Splicing the savegames together, I found that the form of the captain was set by one number per ship:
Ship_x_2_5

When this value was set to 0, the captain always surrendered without a fight. For an English ship, 1 is the guy with the triangle hat. 2 or higher gives him the pony tail. The captain gets much faster the higher the number is set to. 2 is a typical smuggler. At 3 he started beating me occasionally. At 4 he started using fakes, and beat me regularly. At 9 he was so incredibly fast I couldn't touch him.

The other big effect is whether the captain uses a rapier rather than a longsword. This is random; playing the same savegame over and over, the same captain will occasionally grab that rapier, and in that case... watch out.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:
The other big effect is whether the captain uses a rapier rather than a longsword. This is random; playing the same savegame over and over, the same captain will occasionally grab that rapier, and in that case... watch out.

Perhaps all captains maintain a collection of swords of different types, just like the player character.

Hmmm. Did he ever use a cutlass? If not, maybe some limitation on weapon selection is coded - e.g., some captains never use a cutlass, while others never use a rapier.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I say That I Hate Dancing !!!
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I say that I love dancing Happy Smurf Pirate
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: