Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

A Book I have Discovered
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Circle of Pirates Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: A Book I have Discovered Reply with quote

I found this book today at a place I frequent - I must see if they will let me borrow it.

Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you believe anything written by a guy who takes the ironic pen name of Capt. William Lubber?
ZeroTheHero
Swabbie

1199 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a part of a series. The author's name is cameo, obviously. Lubber as in Landlubber and while I didn't find a pun with Merlin the name Ernest (Honest) Drake is quite witty.

http://www.amazon.com/Pirateology-Pirate-Hunters-Companion-Ologies/dp/0763631434

http://www.amazon.com/Wizardology-Book-Secrets-Merlin-Ologies/dp/0763628956/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y/189-3529930-2729057

http://www.amazon.com/Dragonology-Complete-Book-Dragons-Ologies/dp/0763623296/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z/189-3529930-2729057

Apparently it's a good read for an 11 year old.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeroTheHero wrote:

Apparently it's a good read for an 11 year old.

then what's it doing in a Secondary College Library ?
ZeroTheHero
Swabbie

1199 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, but I based that statement on a user review. I haven't read it myself.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:

Literature scholars and sociologists will examine the subtext to see what it says about early 21st-century assumptions concerning what is appropriate reading material for children. Probably not of much interest now, but in a century or so they will use it as a basis for saying how screwed up we were and pat themselves on the back for having advanced so far.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
sparticus wrote:

Literature scholars and sociologists will examine the subtext to see what it says about early 21st-century assumptions concerning what is appropriate reading material for children. Probably not of much interest now, but in a century or so they will use it as a basis for saying how screwed up we were and pat themselves on the back for having advanced so far.

Nice Smile
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm .... Roland's post wouldn't happen to have some kind of subtle sub-text with reference to the current state of scholarship, and certain smug assumptions about the superiortiy of our own time frame over others, would it?

Seriously though. There are actually some American colleges which let you get credit for studying the history of baseball. If that can be passed off as knowledge of academic worth, I don't see why Australian students can't study history of piracy for kids.
ZeroTheHero
Swabbie

1199 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just qualified for being a teach English foreign language in secondary education ( ages 12-18 ) and parts of my curriculum was to study, analyze and understand the teaching value of (seemingly random) childrens literature.

That being said, it's almost impossible to distinguish a "poem for children" for example. Many poems which isn't specifically made for kids have simple sentences and high frequency language. Same goes for subject literature such as this book really. It may be suitable for kids because it is made to be easily read but it doesn't mean it's not for adults as well. Wink
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past summer I attended a fantasy/SF conference/convention where the opening speaker talked about libraries collecting popular literature regarded as ephemeral. She talked mostly about romance novels, but also touched on SF and fantasy. Many of these works have already been lost completely to scholars, even though they were published within the past century. But scholars are already making use of surviving 60-year-old romance novels to look at the culture of the 1950s - a period of which they tend to be rather critical.

I told this to a friend who teaches English at a nearby college. She says her college's library is assembling just such a collection of romance novels because one of its most popular non-degree programs teaches aspiring authors to write for the profitable romance market. I would be surprised if some other college somewhere were not doing the same thing with children's literature.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have met someone who teaches a class at a community college on how to write a best seller. She begins by saying that she doesn't know why she always gets asked to teach that class, because clearly if she knew how to write a best seller she would be on a beach in southern France with stong handsome men bringing her chocolate.

Not sure what that has to do with this thread, but I haven't done a nice piratical thread derailing in a while.

Twisted Evil
ZeroTheHero
Swabbie

1199 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended a writer's course where one of the selling points of the course was "Learn how to write a best seller". The first thing I asked the teacher was why he hadn't written several if he knew how to do it... He didn't have a proper answer.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meaning he gave you an improper answer? And he's an English teacher too. I'm shocked. Feeling Sick
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to make a Million Dollars.

Write a Book called - How to make a Million Dollars.

And con 100,000 people to pay $10 for it.

In the book - the instructions are :

Write a Book called - How to make a Million Dollars.

And con 100,000 people to pay $10 for it.

It's a Pyramid Scheme Smile
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68391 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad plan if you don't mind having 100,000 people anxious to beat you up and take back their ten dollars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Circle of Pirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: