Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Montalban's hideout (3/4 map pieces)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quickjoe
Powder Monkey

259 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Montalban's hideout (3/4 map pieces) Reply with quote

Hi lads,

My pirate is getting on a bit, and I've had no luck coming across fencing-related special items thus far, so my window of opportunity at beating the vicious old bastard without the luxury of whittling his crew down to <10 and outlasting him is fast closing.

Here's what I have so far:

Obviously, if anybody recognises this minimal yet reasonably distinctive coastline, that would save a lot of time, but failing that any ideas would be welcome:
  • I have searched up and down the east coasts of Mexico, and current-day Belize and Nicaragua. I can't say for certain that I haven't missed anything though, but I'd rate it as pretty unlikely, since the coastal Dead Tree with nearby Stone Head is a pretty good giveaway.
  • Is Montalban's hideout always on the American mainland?
  • Do coastlines in these maps ever represent rivers, or just lakes and ocean?
Any help appreciated. I've been looking for a while and my crew is getting unhappy. If I have to divide the plunder and spend 6 months ashore I don't think I'll have a hope of beating him.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montalban's hideout can be anywhere in (modern day) Mexico or Panama. Landmarks are not visible from the water, even with the telescope. This game has no rivers, but I've seen the coastline represent one of those large lakes you can see even while sailing. I've personally had the hideout be North of Gran Granada before, and in that vicinity, I don't know how far south you've searched. Hope this helped and good luck!
quickjoe
Powder Monkey

259 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using an image I found on another thread, which supposedly is the image from which the map pieces are generated (1 pixel corresponds to a map "square"), I've roughly narrowed it down, though I'm a bit unsure of the scaling involved, so I've been a bit liberal without including too much:

Some of these are locations I've already searched.

Are there any I can rule out, such as the Florida area? I've never encountered him up there, but then again I haven't pursued him in many of my previous games because I found the storyline a distraction from a villainous life of pillage, plunder and spirited attempts to drive Spain from the caribbean entirely.
quickjoe
Powder Monkey

259 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up finding him in one of the more unlikely locations, shown here for future reference since the terrain barely resembles the map:

I managed to take him down on my first attempt too, despite being a fairly mediocre swordsman. Monty seemed off his game and I got in a couple of lucky dodges where my fingers found the correct block in spite of my brain going for something else.

Now he's my cabin steward and therefore on my ship at all times. Knowing this, I can never completely relax.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on defeating Montalban, quickjoe!

I have never seen anything on the north side of the Gulf of Mexico (i.e., modern-day Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, along with the adjacent sections of Texas and Florida) - no settlements, havens, villages, treasures, family members, or hideouts.

A while back, I think someone (probably jlangsdo) created a mod that included New Orleans. Has anyone played it? If so, did the city attract any action to that region of the map?
quickjoe
Powder Monkey

259 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Although finding him seemed to be the greater accomplishment in this case.

I had to locate his hideout twice (the first time, I didn't bring enough pirates to get past his native garrison) and both times I got lost and eventually stumbled upon the two adjacent Inca Temples first before any other landmark.

The second occasion, I tracked back to the Dead Tree on the coast and tried to orient myself. I would say that it wasn't too far north of Santa Laura.

Normally I'm pretty good at map-reading and finding treasure/hideouts/relatives/etc with only 2 map segments or less (I rarely require 3 and almost never all 4), but this one was a real struggle for some reason.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: try angulating Reply with quote

somewhere jlangsdo posted a triangulation matrix (just visual map reading) for a the "goodies". I believe the extreme north i.e. louisana area etc, is visible but is similar to europe to the AI in that nothing is ever generated there.
Sir Loin of Beef
Swabbie

2915 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have found 99% of the time is that when stumped by a map like yours, look for seamarks (Jellyfish Rock, Blade Cape etc.) on the coast. Even though they're not on the map they will guide you to Lost Cities and Montalban's Hideout. It's trial and error when there are more than one in the area. Drop anchor, head inland a bit, and if you see an Arch Rock, Deserted Cabin, Stone Head or Indian Totem you're in the right area. If all you see are geysers and dead trees you're not in the right area. This works well with 1 or 2 map pieces as well.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Loin of Beef wrote:
If all you see are geysers and dead trees you're not in the right area.

Another trick is to try to walk through the geysers and dead trees. If you can walk right through them, you are not in the area represented by the map.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: