Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Age of Pirates II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Age of Pirates II Reply with quote

Anyone knows anything about this game ?

Age of Pirates II - release date : Q4 2008

http://www.playlogicinternational.com/index.php?id=41&no_cache=1&tx_playlogic_pi1[uid]=35

Seems to be the next in the sequal for Age of Pirates, which got bad marks here in the forum. The Screenshots looks quite cool but there are not many and I did not see one on the "sailing on the map"

It says about the game :
Face fierce ship-to-ship combat or stand toe-to-toe with the most feared swordsmen in the Caribbean
Well, fierce ship-to-ship combat is something I expect from any pirate game and the most feared swordsmen could be something like the 9 famous pirates + Raymondo in our game. It would be cool if there are more famous characters.

Choose from 3 different characters and 3 different classes, Merchant, Corsair and Adventurer, each with their own quest line with more than 10 missions
Would be cool if you can have a different approach to each game - not just being a pirate. BUt I hope that you have a free game as well and not just a mission to stick to.

Four main campaigns with over 40 quests
Same as above. Fine with me as long there is a "free, endless" game as well

Over 40 quest generators allowing for an additional infinite amount of quests
I hope these quests stick a bit to reality, the description says "...but beware, the dead do not sleep easy..." I hope that is no nonsense like living dead in the "Pirates of the Carribbean" movie.

New combat system for faster fights
Anyone knows what the old system was like ?

Choose from 3 weapon classes: light, medium and heavy
Sounds like what we have already

New “PIRATES” role playing system with the following characteristics: Power, Impression, Reaction, Authority, Talent, Endurance, Success
Like the skills you choos in Sid Meiers Pirates! at the beginning. 7 instead of 5 but from the description you can take a bit of everything. That would not be bad actually.

Advanced trading system
Cool, the trading aspect in Sid Meiers Pirates! is nearlynot existing.

Meet real-life historical characters such as Jamaican governors Colonel Thomas Lynch and Thomas Modyford
I would not mind if the governors are also a bit more special and different. That is better that in our pirates game where governors are all the same.

Accurate maps of the Caribbean with a vast array of land-based locations, from dense South American jungle to dark Caribbean cave complexes (3 times the size of the “Caribbean Tales” world)
That sounds really cool. But I'd like to have information on how many cities are in the game and how far you get into South America.

20 times more content than Caribbean Tales
Again, I do not know the previous game

Sounds pretty cool. Anyone knows anything about it ?

The Aberdonian
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering how unfinished AOP 1 was

wait 2.375 years after AOP 2 is released before you bother to look into it.

this wait will probably save you much disappointment and some hard cash.
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I did not have the old one. In fact I did not even know about it. Hopefully there will be a demo for it. If a game is really good I do not mind paying a lot of money. The times when I am short on cash are in the past since I am working now. But if the game is no good I do not see the point in paying as that encourages the studios to make bad games.

I feel that the times for good games is over. It has been a while that a really good games has been published. There are some exceptions but generally the games are no good these days. Not running beta versions where you have to download megabytes of patches, strategy games with no random maps where you can play on 10 or 12 preset maps (like the last Settlers games) which already bore you before you start and trading game-sequals where production becomes less and less complicated (Settlers, Anno 1701). Or games which look cool as they are about some medevial battles and then you notice that there are undead people, monsters and wizards. Not my cup of tea.

Really sad to see that not a lot of effort is put into these games any more.

There seem to be a lot of 3rd person shooters but I am no fan of these.

The Aberdonian
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberdonian wrote:
Hmm, I did not have the old one. In fact I did not even know about it. Hopefully there will be a demo for it. If a game is really good I do not mind paying a lot of money.
please read the post directly above yours.

If you find AOP 1 to be a good game - you need professional counseling.
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
The Aberdonian wrote:
Hmm, I did not have the old one. In fact I did not even know about it. Hopefully there will be a demo for it. If a game is really good I do not mind paying a lot of money.
please read the post directly above yours.

If you find AOP 1 to be a good game - you need professional counseling.

Sorry, I wanted to say that I hope for a demo for the "new" AOP2. Seeing the critics I do not plan to buy the "new" AOP1. If one game is bad it does not mean the nexy in the sequal will be bad as well. I can not say that I liked "Pirates! Gold" a lot and the seaqual, the Pirates! we play now, is way better.

The Aberdonian
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually own this game, bought it when I got my new pc last summer. Sad to say, I haven't really gotten into it so don't have much to report. It seems super deep with a steep learning curve. I watched some youtube gameplay vids of it and that scared me off. Doesn't seem to have the pick-up-and play factor that SMP has. And like all pirates games other than SMP, it has mixed reviews so it's hard to know if it's worth the trouble. I've been meaning to give it a shot and may do so some day...

Has anyone here played it?

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
ZeroTheHero
Swabbie

1199 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it, then watched a "let's play" and decided not to install it... I checked out some mod site (link below) and found that it might actually be quite cool with one of these. I haven't gotten around to it yet... maybe I never will for some reason.

http://www.piratesahoy.net/forums/city-of-abandoned-ships-mods.66/

I bought Pirates of Black Cove as well, watched a "let's play" but then I installed it and was so disappointed I could almost die. I'm fine with the voice acting and story, what annoys me is the extremely weird ships, the lack of boarding (not counting the human cannon thing) and the naval combat in general simply sucks. It is a really BAD RTS game with a pirate theme and the much criticized voice acting and tounge in cheek humor is the only postitive in this game in my opinion. The graphics is nothing more than decent yet extremely GFX-card heavy. My card overheated on this game of all things, while AC IV was no problem.
Bullseye
Powder Monkey

49 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own this game and it's quite a game indeed! It has a bit of a learning curve, and is definitely not on the casual/lite side of things. The ship-to-ship combat is quite detailed and learning how to survive (let alone master) these battles is a bit daunting. There's quite a bit of content to this game, and it's fairly well done. There's actually a good bit of on land stuff to do in 3rd person mode, with a plenty of sword fights and exploring. The sword play is a little cumbersome, especially dealing with any enemies equipped with firearms. The sailing is really where it's at, and if you have the patience to learn, is quite rewarding compared to Pirates! or ACIV. Another really nice feature is the hiring of Officers that help make your ship run more efficiently. You even have officer slots for extra muscle when you're on land (kind of your Star Trek away team). There's plenty to do in this game and the piratesahoy.net has all of the mods and info one would ever need to enjoy this game to it's max potential. The main drawbacks are the occasional glitches, and the time commitment to play. Highly enjoyable game but hard to find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: