Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Risen 2 - The Pirate Game by Piranha Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rupert Drake
Powder Monkey

346 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Risen 2 - The Pirate Game by Piranha Bytes Reply with quote

I can't wait for this one. Piranha Bytes made my beloved Gothic games!

This is hands-on preview and interview:

Risen 2 will be hitting the shelves in the first half of 2012… buy it, or you’ll be walking the plank! Risen 2 will undoubtedly be my top RPG for 2012.

whole story here:
http://www.gaminglives.com/2011/08/23/risen-2-dark-waters-hands-on-preview-and-interview/
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game came out last month. It actually looks kind of cool for a pirate-themed rpg that doesn't really seem to involve any naval combat (I could be wrong on that just didn't see any in the review I watched). Most sites gave it 6-7 out of 10. I might pick it up when the price drops to $10.

Here's gamespot's video review:

http://www.gamespot.com/risen-2-dark-waters/videos/risen-2-dark-waters-video-review-6374941/

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
The Aberdonian
Cutthroat

9958 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Risen 2 - The Pirate Game by Piranha Bytes Reply with quote

Looks like there are monsters or unnormal creatures to fight. Not my type of game then...
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, lots of giant crabs, giant spiders and the like. I too prefer to have my pirate tales fantasy free. A pirate's life was interesting enough without having to battle monsters and black magic.

CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the console version of this game comes out in July. I'll wait til you can get it for $10 used on amazon which probably won't take long. Fighting alligators does look pretty badass.

Youtube vid of a player getting snapped in half by a gator!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMfSInTWnrA

davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I want my escapes from reality to be realistic as possible!!!
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
Yeah, I want my escapes from reality to be realistic as possible!!!

LOL. Don't get me wrong, I can dig fantasy and sci-fi games/movies etc, just sick of the trend of Pirates genres and Fantasy genres always being mixed. It's not always bad, PotC 1 pulled it off well. The sequels took it too far and it seems like most Pirate video games have a huge fantasy element. Pirates did cool enough sh*t in real life without having to mix in sea monsters and wizards and stuff. In my humble opinion of course.

davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt taking a dig at you... I totally agree. That was the only fault with POtC. Had it kept the humor and adventure of the initial Port Royale scenes without getting ghostly, would have been a top 10 for me.

I am not a SciFi guy, though I had no problems playing d&d. Just dont want to mix the two...
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
I wasnt taking a dig at you... I totally agree. That was the only fault with POtC. Had it kept the humor and adventure of the initial Port Royale scenes without getting ghostly, would have been a top 10 for me.

I am not a SciFi guy, though I had no problems playing d&d. Just dont want to mix the two...

Agreed. Buddies Arr!

ZeroTheHero
Swabbie

1199 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAPTAINcredible wrote:
LOL. Don't get me wrong, I can dig fantasy and sci-fi games/movies etc, just sick of the trend of Pirates genres and Fantasy genres always being mixed. It's not always bad, PotC 1 pulled it off well. The sequels took it too far and it seems like most Pirate video games have a huge fantasy element. Pirates did cool enough sh*t in real life without having to mix in sea monsters and wizards and stuff. In my humble opinion of course.

Truer words were never spoken! This is exactly how I feel. All of it but especially the bold part.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked this game up yesterday (I had actually played a preview version a long time ago, and apparently have owned the game itself for a long time as well, as it was on my Steam account and I didn't have to buy it in order to "pick it up").

Very enjoyable little RPG and the pirate theme is definitely there - it is a bit of a shame that it takes place in a fantasy land, however, with monstrous creatures. Several period inaccuracies are also present, such as the player having a choice between a cutlass and an epee(!), the latter of which is a much later period sword. Would have been better to just call it a rapier.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeroTheHero wrote:
CAPTAINcredible wrote:

Truer words were never spoken! This is exactly how I feel. All of it but especially the bold part.

Resoundin' AYE! mates; exactly how I feel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: