Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

marquis on swashbuckler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byronbum@hotmail.com
Powder Monkey

111 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: marquis on swashbuckler Reply with quote

ok so i hate this game..... lol

my pirate is 32 on swashbuckler difficulty with all the toys, but no fencing skill. im listed as in good health and the marquis in his fort is just impossibly fast.... im a good but not amazing fencer, any help out there? ideas, hints, spoilers?

ive tried all 3 swords and it is coming down to guessing before he swings cause he is to fast.

the indian battle before hand makes each attempt take like 10 minutes and im about ready to use my cd as a frisbee....
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swash at 32 = poor health

either try the Fencing Academy

or remember the "good old days"
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First move- thrust. Try to get him on his heels early. don't let up for a second, but don't strike blindly if you can't hit... plan afew set blocks. Also, if you are definitely gonna get hit and you cant aoind it,. throw in a taunt. Sailor

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
byronbum@hotmail.com
Powder Monkey

111 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swash at 32 with medicine and the 2 items = good health.... ;p

and i beat him by cheating....

u can apparently pause the game while fencing with the pause button on your keyboard. so i would do that and block that way. ya its cheap but the indian fight is too painful to sit through anymore.... so w/e. lol
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Use the Parry Reply with quote

Use the parry (block) in between feint attacks. It is the only thing that works for me (fairly) reliably on swash. I only use a rapier.

A typical sequence (use the keyboard; mouse is too slow):

Slash (low)

Parry to block the counter attack and put a stop in Monty's accelerating momentum.

Feint with a slash, and immediately chop (high) - or the reverse - you need to vary and be flexible.

Parry.

Feint with a chop and then slash. Or sometimes repeat your last attack combo one more time and reverse on you next attack.

Parry.

And so on. The alternation of attacks may vary, but usually you should not repeat the same attack more than two or at the most three times, and almost always with the parry in between attacks. Occasionally you might leave out the feint, or hit the feint twice rapidly for emphasis before shifting to attack. Sometimes a thrust can be used as a feint, but while it works great on lower levels, I find it is much less effective as an attack on swash, at least against a really fast opponent like Monty. I rarely attempt a taunt, and never against a fast opponent.

Against a fast opponent, I am often unable to react and adjust within the scope of a specific attack - if I try to jump or duck I usually get nailed. Against Monty in his fort, the sequence is almost automatic - I am guessing, really, on which way he will go, though I try to notice his attack and have it in mind when I "place my bet" on my next attack after the parry. Over the course of the duel, though, I usually win more than lose, so that I ultimately win. The thing about the parry is that it breaks the momentum to give me a series of chances - instead of being marched over the wall in that depressing sequence where you are just too slow and only get slower.

I think others may have better styles, but this works for me. Most of the time I can beat even Monty and fast opponents at any age, including failing health (at least if I have all the gear by then - and I usually choose fencing as my skill). It takes a little practice (I spent a good long while looking up at the Captain of the Guard sniggering at me from the window before I got it down), but if I can do it, I think anyone can.
Guardacostas
Gunner

9937 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very simple, although I have not made it this far yet.

What I do, even with simple pirates, is let them take the first move first. I usually block it. Than go punch for punch. Which is almost as effective as hitting him everytime you block him. Just watch the white/red meter on the bottom of your screen. When you get the clear advantages, strike him everytime you can.

This of course becomes more difficult as the game goes on.
Sawdust
Powder Monkey

50 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that you can change your choice in mid-action to create feints! Sad I'll certainly try that in my next fencing match. Thanks for the tip.
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know you could "cheat" that way! I'm going to have to try it.
And here I've been doing it the hard way all this time!!! Duelling
I have mentioned my method of dueling previously but it may bear repeating as it has worked wonderfully for me throughout my Pirates career and I am rarely beaten in a duel even against Monty on Rogue (I usually start a game as Rogue then move up to Swash AFTER I have found and defeated Monty, I'm crazy but I'm not nuts).
I call my method: Wait for it.
Do nothing until your opponent attacks, just wait for him.
On all of his attacks except for thrust there is a small amount of time that your opponent spends on his "wind up". He has to move his sword down and back or up and back before he can swing it towards you. The game is very fair with the physics of this, giving you a small but definite edge over your opponent in that you can always see him winding up before he pitches that sword in your direction. Use this window of opportunity to launch your own thrust attack, the 4 button to be precise.
I can't even think of the last time Monty landed a hit on me at Rogue (I can beat him on Swash but I have to find him VERY early in the game, I've never managed to beat Monty at Swash level unless I'm under 30). By using my method I beat him, and every other opponent, every time.
Even with his thrust you see it coming in as he begins to pull his sword slightly back before he delivers, it's very fast but there is a small amount of warning, simply use the 4 button to launch your own attack and you'll cross blades in that wonderful blur of motion the game does so well...
But you won't get hit.
I tend to follow up this crossing of blades with an immediate chop, the 7 key, as this is the best way to land one in on him. He almost, ALMOST, always low slashes or thrusts again after crossing swords, the chop gets in over either of these attacks if you launch it immediately because you move first.
Other than that one special move, I tend to use the 4 key almost exclusively when I duel Monty. I never feint, I never duck or jump, retreat or taunt. I just stay in one spot, I watch his chest intently because you can see it open and turn when he begins to move and I thrust every time I see this movement which nearly always results in a clean hit against him.
I can take on lesser opponents and do all the dancing I want with them, sometimes it's fun to do the dance and taunt them for their low skills in dueling, but when I'm dueling Monty I lose all the fancy schmancy dancing stuff and I simply get down to brass tacks.
He's WAY too good for all that tomfoolery. I just take him out ASAP.

By the way...
This method works equally well in real life fighting. It is integral to the style of martial art I practice.
That's how I figured it out in the game.

Hope this helps.
Capitan Incognito
Swabbie

435 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I may have to try it too, pausing eh? I wonder will it work on the dancing mini-game... Hehe... I have poor hand/eye coordination... At least I can boast I didn't use an outside program to cheat the game... LOL!
Sir Loin of Beef
Swabbie

2915 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Thanks Tom Pullings Reply with quote

I just completed my first game at swash level from start to finish (plenty of reloads) but I have mastered the fencing piece. Tom your very simple method laid out works just fine for me. I've been playing on rogue for years but after trying unsuccessfully to beat my quickest time I decided to give swash a go. Like you It took about ten times for the annoying captain to kick me out the window but once I figured it out I had very little problems. Thanks again
Sven Helgrim
Powder Monkey

227 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fighting Monty as a Swahbuckler is insane. It took a lot of tried before I could get the hang of it. Fighting him on his ship is almost impossible for me. I usually chanin shot and grape shit his ship until he’s the last man standing and then take him out with one hit.

Fighting him in his fortress is a bit easier. You don’t have to worry about running out of crew. He is still deadly fast. So I usually just parry (key #5) first and then I feint by pressing 7, 4, then 1. I drag my finger across the three keys. My go to action is to parry, the. Counter with the feint above. He sees the incoming attack and ducks, sometimes he sees the second attack and parries, meanwhile you are finishing up with the low attack and it moves him back.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try just holding down the 1 key, that frequently works. 10 years ago I could win at Swash level but now I have a terrible time beating Monty at Rogue level. Guess I will have to drop back to Adventurer class.
I used to use a Cutlass all the time and blocked/counterpunched all the time. It worked then but now my reflexes are too slow.
Sven Helgrim
Powder Monkey

227 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a video of a guy beating Monty with a cutlass.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6dpd6OFQs
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sven. I think our hero's cuirass saved him from an early defeat - I heard the marqis's sword bounce off of it several times.

One thing I realized about Montalban - his special attack makes a huge difference, and that special attack varies from one game to another. He really isn't that fast overall, but he can score a hit at will when he uses his blinding-fast special attack. You just have to hope he doesn't use it too many times in a row.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: