Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Jet Ski Anyone??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love getting Henry Morgan's Large Frigate. It allows me to get my Horatio Hornblower freak on. But I've decided to try out the Indian War Canoe strategy. Very Happy I must admit, it is fun, although the constant swordfighting gets old after a while.

I named her Fast Lass.

I used kcoR's ROCK_pb1.zip sail and flag mod (the pin-up girl on the sail, and the Playboy logo on the flag).

I love it. It's different. It's not better than any other ship. Just different. And that's what this is all about. I love using this little dinky boat to carry out my adventures. It makes for more comedic storytelling!

GOVERNOR: "Oh, Duke Cussler! The Evil Count Mendoza has kidnapped my daughter!"
ME: "I'll get right on it, sir!"
GOVERNOR: "Oh, thank you! (*looks at Fast Lass*) You're gonna need a bigger boat."
ME: "It suits me just fine. Hasn't failed me in the past."
GOVERNOR: "I wonder if her original suitor has a bigger ship?"

Later. . .

GOVERNOR'S DAUGHTER: "Oh, Duke Cussler! Everynight I dreamed you would come to my rescue! Let us return to my father to discuss our future together!"
(*exit forecastle, sees Fast Lass*)
GOVERNOR'S DAUGHTER: "Is that your boat?"
ME: "Um. . .yeah."
GOVERNOR'S DAUGHTER: "That's it? No grand Ship of the Line? No dangerous Brig of War? Not even a Mail Runner?"
ME: "It gets the job done. It defeated Mendoza's Fast Galleon."
GOVERNOR'S DAUGHTER: "It's tiny! If you spit, you'd sink it!"
ME: "It's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean."
GOVERNOR'S DAUGHTER: "Sorry, but size matters."
ME: Sad

Hehehe!
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should add seasickness to the games. Therefore, on a war canoe, you'd get REALLY sick, while on a SotL you wouldn't get sick at all... could be kind of wacked, but it would be funny. Smile

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all these years I still am 50/50 between using the small boats and the Royal Sloop. My favorite small boat is the Mail Runner, which I get by ripping off a Governor who thinks I actually care if they declare war or peace on another country. It is just as fast as a War Canoe and holds 10 more tons of food. I NEVER carry cannons on a small boat.

This really does speed up a game by cutting down the commute accross the map.

The rest of the time I use a Royal but only because I am lazy. The small boats are so much more fun!

I had one game I used a war canoe and played until my pirate was 80 years old. I finished with 8 Ships of the Line, had to retire my war canoe at the end. Finished with 4 million in Gold and lots of land.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
My favorite small boat is the Mail Runner, which I get by ripping off a Governor who thinks I actually care if they declare war or peace on another country. It is just as fast as a War Canoe and holds 10 more tons of food. I NEVER carry cannons on a small boat.

The mail runner is also my current favorite. And I don't usually carry guns because 1) I prefer to take my prizes undamaged, and 2) I save my cargo space for trade goods.

But as much as I love the mail runner, I must admit it isn't quite as fast or maneuverable as the war canoe.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I went 100 percent to the war canoe (or Pinnace if I capture one of these first), and never looked back. I always finish the game by age 32 or less, usually much sooner. The small boats cut 2 years of gametime easily. The other trick to speeding up the game is by re-loading if the Jesuit Mission tells you Raymondo is too far away.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the thread that started it all. Rupert showed us the value and fun of using a war canoe. If you have not made the change I HIGHLY recommend you do so. Unlike Rupert, I do not use three war canoes, I sail one canoe only and sell any ships I capture. It is like cruising around the world in a Ferrari!
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
This is the thread that started it all. Rupert showed us the value and fun of using a war canoe. If you have not made the change I HIGHLY recommend you do so. Unlike Rupert, I do not use three war canoes, I sail one canoe only and sell any ships I capture. It is like cruising around the world in a Ferrari!

I just finished playing the game using the PH-trainer's 'teleport' feature, but next time I'll see if I can capture a war canoe and use it instead.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used the Trainer. How do you use it?
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I have never used the Trainer. How do you use it?

Download and install it. Run it and set the options you want. I have mine set to run the steam version of SMP, and to automatically run SMP when I run the trainer. Hooked on Pirates has a separate topic on using the trainer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: