Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Give Ruby Ring to Plain Daughters?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Give Ruby Ring to Plain Daughters? Reply with quote

Do you guys give Ruby Rings to Plain Daughters? I find they usually give you a wanted criminal worth about 2 to 3 thousand gold but have seen them give up 5,000 gold criminals. I go back and forth on this one.

Of course, going after wanted criminals gives big promotion points and sometimes the criminals will offer "premium" gifts such as the Calfskin Boots, Dancing Slippers, Medicinal Herbs or Incan Salves. In those cases, the Ruby Ring swap is well worth it but you can't tell up front.

I've played games with the "no Ruby Ring to Plain Daughters" as my strategy but usually not.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't give ruby rings to plain daughters. I usually give rings to a few attractive daughters because I know they'll offer me items, as well as allowing me to take the next step in the romance subplot.

I also do not usually buy a ruby ring from the stranger unless it is offered for a rock bottom price!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if I'm attracted to the city.

I haven't in a long time.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are you willing to pay for a Ruby Ring? I try to buy them in Poor Cities, Settlements or, best yet, Pirate Havens. That's where you get the best price! I don't pay more than 2000 gold in Rogue level games.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I don't pay attention to the prices of the items.
Either I'm completing a collection, or it's a qualifier to get something better, and it seems that if I don't buy what the stranger is selling, he'll continue to offer it to me until I get one.

So I'm really more of a hunter ( for a specific item) or a gatherer ( collect 'em all) than a shopper.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Trading? Reply with quote

Do you ever do any trading? If I have cargo space I trade - buy from poor cities and sell to rich ones. I especially watch for Spice - buy at 17 or cheaper and sell at 30 or more gold per ton. I have seen Spice go for as much as 71 Gold per ton.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Mostly spices and luxuries. I feel less valuable stuff takes up too much space in my hold, but on the other hand, the % return can be pretty good on the cheaper stuff.

Roland is our resident trading authority.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The native chiefs usually have spice at an extremely low price. Only trouble is individual villages don't have very much.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never pay for an item that I can get for free from a governor's daughter. The only items I pay for early in the game are the healing items (herbs, salve) and the dancing items (boots, shoes). Otherwise, I think my gold is better used to keep my crew content.

I usually have room in my hold for some trade goods because I don't carry cannons. (I like to keep my prizes undamaged, so I just board as quickly as possible.) I keep a close eye on prices in the various ports in the region I am operating in, so I know whether to buy or sell at a given price.

In the early game, trading is just a side activity. But after I have taken out Monty and become a duke with all four nations, I often drag a fleet of three to five ships around getting free upgrades before I sell them. That gives me more cargo space than I can fill at a single port, no matter how wealthy it is. I might spend a year repeatedly traveling a circuit with a good combination of prices and upgrades, capturing every Indian or pirate ship I find along the way to replace the upgraded ships I sell.
Mad Jack of the Red
Swabbie

2137 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Give a ruby ring to a plain daughter Reply with quote

The English and Dutch plain daughters look like the daughter of a family of which my family is very close. (Sigh!) That being said sometimes I will give a plain daughter a ruby ring. The later in the game it gets plain daughters can come up with some needed prezzies. Have I ever married a plain daughter? If I got enough points to retire as a governor, . . . sure, why not! Plain daughters are cute!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: