Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Diamond Necklace v. Ruby Ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knowltok
Powder Monkey

1038 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Diamond Necklace v. Ruby Ring Reply with quote

What are the differences? Far as I can tell, you can give a ring to anyone and it works fine, do you get more for giving a necklace?
Microwavegerbil
Seaman

3502 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pirate-O-Pedia says the necklace is more impressive, although I'm not sure if it really is better. You can only get a necklace after you have a ruby ring, so it might very well be a bit better.
bigchief
Seaman

5304 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't help with the romance part, but you get better stuff from the daughters. If you give it to a plain daughter, you get info on a 4000 - 5000 gold criminal instead of a 1000 - 3000 one. It's probably not worth it in that case as the necklace usually costs more than that. I will get gifts from the attractive daughters after giving them one, if they are still in the gift giving mode. You will get info on the Marquis or a map piece from the beautiful daughters.
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Diamond Necklace v. Ruby Ring Reply with quote

knowltok wrote:
What are the differences? Far as I can tell, you can give a ring to anyone and it works fine, do you get more for giving a necklace?

I think you can "win her heart" with less dancing

or maybe get a better gift back!

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ruby ring counts as a successful dance in terms of gifts from the daughter, while the diamond necklace counts like a "cleavage shot" dance (i.e. the best result) which results in a bigger gift from the daughter.
Perry
Swabbie

2746 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, so if you have found Monty & all your relatives, then a Diamond Necklace Gift = Mappiece to a Lost city???
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. And sometimes even before you have those other quests completed - though then I am not sure if this is always the case, or random, or determined by other factors.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference after finding all your relatives and acquiring most of the items is:

Beautiful daughter = Montalban or Map Piece (pretty random, though you get map pieces when you repeatedly flirt with the same girl. And you get Info on Montalban if you have four lost city map pieces)

Attractive daughter = depends on the deed, if you dance mediocre or give her a ruby ring, she'll give you information about a criminal, but if you dance perfectly or give her a diamond necklace, she will give you Montalban or a piece of a lost city map

Plain daughter = will always give you information about a wanted criminal
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru wrote:
The difference after finding all your relatives and acquiring most of the items is:

Beautiful daughter = Montalban or Map Piece (pretty random, though you get map pieces when you repeatedly flirt with the same girl. And you get Info on Montalban if you have four lost city map pieces)

Attractive daughter = depends on the deed, if you dance mediocre or give her a ruby ring, she'll give you information about a criminal, but if you dance perfectly or give her a diamond necklace, she will give you Montalban or a piece of a lost city map

Plain daughter = will always give you information about a wanted criminal

Lots of old and bad info shown above! Here is the truth!
If you dance successfully with a beautiful daughter and get the "dip" / cleavage. She will do the following:

If You have not taken out Monty's hideout, she will tell you where Monty is.
If you have taken out Monty, then it depends if you have found all four relatives. If you have found them, she will give you a piece of a map. If you have not found them all she will give you a gift. If you have found all relatives, taken out Monty AND found all the Lost cities, then she will give you a wanted criminal tip.

If you just get a hand kiss from the Beautiful Daughter:
She tells you where Raymondo is unless you have found all four relatives. If you have all relatives, then the next question is - have you taken out Monty's hideout? If no, she gives a gift. If yes, she gives a criminal tip.

Attractive Daughter - If you are chasing Raymondo, she gives you his location on a "dip" or cleavage dance. If you have taken out Monty's hideout AND found all four relatives, then she gives you a map piece.
If you just get a hand kiss, she gives you a gift but there is a limit to the number of gifts you can get - it is around 8 or 10. Then she will give you a criminal tip.

Plain Daughter - the "dip" get a gift until 8 or 10 received, then a wanted criminal. Al hand kiss is the wanted criminal.

I'm sure there are other combinations, I just forgot them right now, will update more later on or others will provide the info.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
If you just get a hand kiss, she gives you a gift but there is a limit to the number of gifts you can get - it is around 8 or 10.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I think the most items you can get from one daughter is 4. But there is no overall limit on gift items, apart from 1) the list of 16 items that daughters can give, and 2) the requirement that she offer you a choice of items. So you can get up to 15 of the 16 items from daughters in a given game. (I, being a cheapskate, usually manage to get all 15 free items!)

There are 16 other items that daughters never give. You have to buy these from the stranger (or take them as bribes from criminals).

I usually run into a dry period when the daughters stop giving gifts for a while. But then they resume giving gifts later on. I'm not sure what triggers the beginning or the end of this gift-giving pause.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure there is a hard-and-fast number of gifts you can receive from the Attractive Daughters before they start giving out wanted criminals instead. I am pretty sure it is 8 to 10 gifts and then no more. You say there is a "shopping list" of items they can give and when those items are gone then no more. That is possible. Let's go down the list - they can give out:
Puffy and Silk Shirts
Balanced and perfectly Balanced Swords
Leather Vest and Metal Curaiss
Dutch and Spanish Rutters
One-Shot and Brace of Pistols
Quality Spyglass and Fine Telescope
Weather Glass and Precision Barometer
Three-String Fiddle and Concertina

is that it? Can they give out any of the other items like Mustache/Costume, Lockpick Kit/Skeleton Key, Shrunken Head/Carved Shaman Stick, Golden Cross/Sacred Relic, French Chappeau/Ostrich Feather Hat?

I know they cannot give out the Calfskin Boots/Dancing Slippers and the Medicinal Herbs/Incan Salve - those are the "Exotic" Items you can ONLY get from the Mysterious Stranger or Wanted Criminals.

I still think they cannot give out all 16 of the first set of items I listed above.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You correctly listed the 16 items available from governors' daughters. They don't give you the items that would help you break the law, break out of prison, or impress rival governors' daughters.

As I said, I usually manage to get 15 of those 16 items from governors' daughters. (Most often the cuirass is the one I don't get - the leather vest just looks to cool to replace!) Perhaps there is a limit on how many items you can get from attractive daughters and a separate limit on how many you can get from plain daughters (?).

One thing you have to be careful of: If the last two items you need are, say, the Dutch Rutter and the Spanish Rutter, you're out of luck. She has to offer you two different items, not two of the same type of item. So if you want to maximize your gift items you need to make sure you get all 8 of the lesser items while there are still at least 2 or 3 superior items to obtain.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to think of it is that the necklace is the upgraded version of the diamond ring.

In your savegame file, you have a 0,1, or 2 score for each category of items - swords, armor, pistols, rutters, hats, jewelry, musical instrument, etc.

The jewelry is unique in that the score is set back to zero so regularly, whenever you give it to a governor's daughter. I forget whether you can lose other items when shipwrecked or captured.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
You correctly listed the 16 items available from governors' daughters. They don't give you the items that would help you break the law, break out of prison, or impress rival governors' daughters.

As I said, I usually manage to get 15 of those 16 items from governors' daughters. (Most often the cuirass is the one I don't get - the leather vest just looks to cool to replace!) Perhaps there is a limit on how many items you can get from attractive daughters and a separate limit on how many you can get from plain daughters (?).

One thing you have to be careful of: If the last two items you need are, say, the Dutch Rutter and the Spanish Rutter, you're out of luck. She has to offer you two different items, not two of the same type of item. So if you want to maximize your gift items you need to make sure you get all 8 of the lesser items while there are still at least 2 or 3 superior items to obtain.

OK, I will test what you just said. I still think there is a hard limit of 8 to 10 but will concentrate on getting just the "minor" items to see if I can push past this level. I am debating whether I want to try that damn Dutch Fluyt challenge. It sounds pretty frustrating but I may do it and check out what you are saying to me at the same time.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: