Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

What's the point in attacking cities ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allronix
Swabbie

1871 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, never had too much trouble, even on Apprentice, in getting the full 24 points. Laughing Most of my wealth tends to be in land grants. Considering the period, land would be much more desirable anyway.

Yes, I typed that wrong. It's not more wealth for your pirate, but it's more wealth for all the other crew. The higher the crew shares, the more word of mouth will spread across the Main, and the easier it will be to recruit for your next round of causing mayhem.

As for the building? Well, I'm a Civ player and still break out Black and White on occasion. I guess I can't stay away from city building.

Calico Jack? Hang him - but ALWAYS recruit his lieutenants!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allronix wrote:
Funny, never had too much trouble, even on Apprentice, in getting the full 24 points. Laughing Most of my wealth tends to be in land grants.

Well, i haven't been able to reach the full 24 wealth points on any other difficulty than swashbuckler Mad I retire when 30-35 years old usually though.

I'm usually too focused on the quests to capture more ships than the minimum, and although i sack a lot of cities, i only install governors of the nation i want to become a Duke of.

Allronix wrote:
Yes, I typed that wrong. It's not more wealth for your pirate, but it's more wealth for all the other crew. The higher the crew shares, the more word of mouth will spread across the Main, and the easier it will be to recruit for your next round of causing mayhem.

You mean when you divide the loot? In that case the former crew's shares doesn't matter, They follow the captain with the most money at his disposal. And if you mean in your current campaign, why would you thin out the crew in the first place? Razz I'm a little picky, but have i missed something?
Allronix
Swabbie

1871 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you reach a certain amount of years sailing, it seems harder to keep a happy or content crew. Unhappy crew don't load the cannons as quickly, take greater losses in swordfights, and are more likely to be defeated in land battles by inferior numbers. I know that keeping a share that is 1000+ per crewman keeps them from getting mutinous, but unhappy crew makes it harder to just do your job.

I also tend to divvy up the plunder a couple times during the game. Once is right after I make Spanish Duke and defeated the Marquis. The story I have for it is that my character realizes Spain has betrayed him and is taking a hiatus to process these facts and plot his backstab of Spain and her allies. In game, it reduces the bounty the other nations have on my head, making it easier to sail into their ports and announce my defection. The assault on Monty's fortress thins out my mutinous crew, and the cash keeps the survivors plenty content until port's reached.

My next voyage is a "world tour" where I kick the snot out of shipping and ports. I start at Trinidad and nail anything flying Spanish colors. This requires a large crew, and by the time I get to San Juan, I've got a large, unhappy crew and a hold full of gold. So, I finish it off by sailing to a port that was too large to nail previously (Carcaras fits the bill), and the resulting bloodbath usually leaves the port broke and my crew size smaller. Afterwards, check in with the other three powers on the main to collect my reward, and divvy up the loot.

Since I tend to be getting on in years with voyage 3, I spend the remaining time on cleanup - arresting petty criminals, digging up the treasures of the big shot pirates, taking out the big shot pirates (by then they are loaded with cash), finding the lost cities, and hassling Spanish shipping. I usually end up chasing a couple Mendozas, too. A small, fast ship with a small crew is often all I need for those ventures.

Calico Jack? Hang him - but ALWAYS recruit his lieutenants!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allronix wrote:
Once you reach a certain amount of years sailing, it seems harder to keep a happy or content crew.
they respond well to cash.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Allronix wrote:
Once you reach a certain amount of years sailing, it seems harder to keep a happy or content crew.
they respond well to cash.

Yes - Gold Gold Gold - they love their Gold.
Mad Jack of the Red
Swabbie

2137 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGM3 was spot on about the Line of Demarcation of 1493 on p.1. Spain and Portugal were about to go to war over discoveries in the New World. Pope Alexander VI made them sign the Treaty of Tordesillas . . . or else. Everything west of 46degrees West Latitude went to Spain: east of 46degrees W. went to Portugal. Bottom line: It's why Portugese is spoken in Brazil and Spanish everywhere else in South America.

Wink
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure they see the evil in yours eyes after you sack city. Twisted Evil
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure they see the evil in yours eyes after you sack city. Twisted Evil
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the evil eye?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: