Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

R:TW
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kensai
Seaman

1450 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimmelshausen wrote:
Kensai wrote:
Grimmelshausen wrote:
Do you know "Preatorians" as well, Kensai? And if you do, what´s your opinion of that one? From what I´ve seen, it looks pretty similar to Rome -Total War, and it´s the cheaper of the two Wink

Oh, no didn´t know, can you send me a link to the page, please, to give more information?

Thanks.

I don´t know a certain page, I´ve just seen the game in stores and it looks rather similar, though more battle-based than R-TW, which I´ve got me this weekend. It´s really great, but I have yet to figure out the difference etween acarde and realistic battle mode, so far, it doesn´t seem to be much in the way of a difference.
The attles are really fun, especially large ones, with oth sides havn the maximum of units. Now, that is how battles have to look Thumbs Up

Yes, the problem is the same of always...graphic cards.

You are right, nothing so pleasure as giant units, with thousand of mens slaughtered betweeen them in the most realistic way possible.
I´m sure that in ten years, those kind of game will be pure extasis.
Drug Lord11
Swabbie

1313 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai wrote:
I forget, if you buy it, please, give me your impression of the game, after a while.

Will do.
But my granddads getting it in a couple of weeks though.
LT Mor
Powder Monkey

34 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best game ever.
But Install the R:TR mod they took the game tothe next level.

http://www.rometotalrealism.com/
Grimmelshausen
Cutthroat

1811 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you´re less impressed by graphics than by gameplay, you might also ant to try Rome´s predecessor, Medieval Total War. If anyone´s been wondering where I´ve been of late (probably not Wink ) that´s where, conquering ancient and medival Europe.
Rook
Seaman

517 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, I can't offer a game review of this title. Not my style of game really. I've heard nothing but good thing come of it, however, to me an RTS is still an RTS regardless of skin or historical flavor.

Rook
Managing Editor/Writer
www.hookedgamers.com
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh it's not an RTS, mate.

kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Rome total war Reply with quote

Rome total war is my favorite game to date. It has great re play ablility and presents a longer challenge while still being playable/beatable then most games I've ever played.

I wasn't too impressed with Barbarian Invasion (the expansion pack).

I felt like in BI the units where more boring, plus its more fun starting with 2 cities and building up your empire then starting with an empire and trying to keep it from crumbling.

My advice go out and get rome total war right now (if your computer has the capacity to run it.) If your computer can't run it very well then I would suggest buying a new computer specifically to run Rome total war. I did that. (I got a new computer and while I needed it the main reason I go it was because I wanted to crank up the graphics on rome total war.

Oh and to follow up what was said earlier about the strategy. You need to have at least a decent knowledge of history if you want to successful at the game. You need to understand the Testiteo (Tourtise) formation, how it was assembled and how it was used. Also knowing the strengths and weaknesses of a phalanx is extremely helpful.

That said though if you don't know about the history you will learn it from playing the game. Although the complexity of it can scare a lot of people.

(BTW I've also played Medieval Total war and thats a great game but I felt like Rome was a much more solid game in some respects.

Kirk Vollmer
Don't ever call me Captain Kirk.
Valparaiso University Alumni; Class of 2004
Kensai
Seaman

1450 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rome total war Reply with quote

kvollmer wrote:

My advice go out and get rome total war right now (if your computer has the capacity to run it.) If your computer can't run it very well then I would suggest buying a new computer specifically to run Rome total war. I did that. (I got a new computer and while I needed it the main reason I go it was because I wanted to crank up the graphics on rome total war.

Oh and to follow up what was said earlier about the strategy. You need to have at least a decent knowledge of history if you want to successful at the game. You need to understand the Testiteo (Tourtise) formation, how it was assembled and how it was used. Also knowing the strengths and weaknesses of a phalanx is extremely helpful.

That said though if you don't know about the history you will learn it from playing the game. Although the complexity of it can scare a lot of people.

(BTW I've also played Medieval Total war and thats a great game but I felt like Rome was a much more solid game in some respects.

Yes, to enjoy this game a very good computer is needed.

You can be sure that a lot of people feels very scared when they are confronted with the responsability of leading the troops into historical battles, I don´t know why, but most of them (a lot of my friends) can´t do it. They feel overwhelmed by the situation.

And is right, MTW was a good game (I loved the music), but it was only a little bit better than Shogun.
van boelken
Seaman

492 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome Total War be great game, rest assured. But I'm a bit sad because I can't lead barbarians (and Carthage pirates!)... Sailor
Grimmelshausen
Cutthroat

1811 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? Sure you can play barbarians and Carthage, you just need to finish one campaign with one of the roman factions, then a couple of others get unlocked and available for playing. There are also mods allowing to play with every faction.
Arawn
Powder Monkey

553 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth getting?

Yes.

But be warned, the vanilla game (even with official patches) can be a pain in the arse.
But when you reach that point, there are the mods. The Total Realism Mod is already more or less in its final incarnation (ignoring future BI upgrades), and that makes the game much much better.

I will say that the BI expansion was a little dissapointing, but again from the modding point of view, it opened up even more oportunities, so it does give a lot mor to the game. Still, avoid paying full retail price if you can, i actualy bougnt my BI expansion preowned.
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is Extended Greek Mod (XGM) to Rome: Total War with BI. It's much more than a simple Greek faction expansion mod. Just one of the features is that the map goes all the way to Indus so rebuilding the Alexander the Great's empire is possible. Have been playing this a lot and I totally recommend it.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Rome: Total War! I got Steam solely so I could get RTW. I have over 400 hours logged on the game. It is well worth the money.
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried any mods?
As I earlier mentioned I like XGM very much, especially because the map goes all the way to Indus.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
Have you tried any mods?
As I earlier mentioned I like XGM very much, especially because the map goes all the way to Indus.

I got the game on Steam and am reluctant to try mods. So no, not yet. The game is still fun though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: