Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Forced retirement after 30 years of Piracy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VENgE
Powder Monkey

121 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Forced retirement after 30 years of Piracy? Reply with quote

I dont get it, at I just stopped in at a settlement to divide my plunder and get a happy crew, but every time I go to the divide screen and divide my loot, It always forces me to retire. Im currently on Rogue difficulty, and my crew was pretty unhappy about me pushing them to dig up all the treasure and attack the most spanish ships we could in a 14 month period.

I dont get it, I thought there was NO forced retirement time!
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will force you to tretire if you get to 30 and you have basially had a crappy career .... or at least the origianl did ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VENgE
Powder Monkey

121 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I had a great career, I just spent a bit of time in Jail, thats all!
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say spending most of it in Jail is what detoriates your health or its a factor... There are so many different factors... just like I know I won't make it past 30 on swashbuckling level cause I keep making stupid defense mistakes cause I get to watching TV and damage is damage and it adds in to that calculation of how my health is ...

Oh well I finally start getting really good at fencing on swashbuckler level and then I stop paying attention... I forget how hard it really is sometimes.. Now when on a Pirate or Raymondo I pay very close attention cause they are a challenge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Inigo Montoya
Powder Monkey

42 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Adventurer, I was forced to retire at 45 with failing health. Does dueling poorly affect my health even if I win in the end?
jeff204vk
Cutthroat

529 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
I would say spending most of it in Jail is what detoriates your health or its a factor

What version are you playing?

In the PC version, time deteriorates your health, but whether you spend it in jail or out pirating doesn't matter. The problem with jail is that you can't acquire money while you're in jail.
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff204vk wrote:
PiratesFan wrote:
I would say spending most of it in Jail is what detoriates your health or its a factor

What version are you playing?

In the PC version, time deteriorates your health, but whether you spend it in jail or out pirating doesn't matter. The problem with jail is that you can't acquire money while you're in jail.

Keep in mind those posts are from 2004, before the guides were written, and people were still learning the mechanics.
ATM Argh Money
Powder Monkey

29 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
I would say spending most of it in Jail is what detoriates your health or its a factor... There are so many different factors... just like I know I won't make it past 30 on swashbuckling level cause I keep making stupid defense mistakes cause I get to watching TV and damage is damage and it adds in to that calculation of how my health is ...

Its very interesting to learn that with each blow of the sword against me, my health deteriorates.

Ii actually have 2 questions to add to this topic. Does anyone know if "failing health" forces retirement upon division, or can you be forced to retire in poor health.

Also, is there a limit to the number of times you can divide the plunder?

My current game I've been at sea for 130 months and I want to up the difficulty but am in poor health at the age of 30. I would just attempt to divide the plunder now but I have a content crew of around 600 and were sacking towns so I won't divide until its time to hunt for lost cities.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to buy the Medicinal Herbs and Incan Salve from the Mysterious Stranger in the tavern or take them in lieu of bounty from the wanted criminals. This is a basic part of the game. If you wish to advance at this point in the game, I would recommend you wrap the old game up and start a new game at a higher level, that is what most of us did starting out. Once you get to Failing Health, it is not wise to divide the plunder.

After playing a few games you will want to learn to become "immortal" by getting enough gold earlier in your career so you never have to divide the plunder until the end of the game. To become immortal, it takes at least 1004 gold per crew member PLUS the Cook and Quartermaster. Then you can support a crew that will never mutiny, even if starving.

Also, your health DOES NOT deteriorate from getting hit, that was from the old game of 25 years ago, not this newer game. So, don't worry about getting hit.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can divide the plunder and keep playing if your health is failing. It is only when you reach the next level, terrible, that you are forced to retire when dividing the plunder. (But note that your health can go from failing to terrible during the six months or so that it takes you to get your next voyage up and running.)

The age at which your health becomes terrible can be raised if you take medicine as your skill or if you have the herbs and the salve. Unaided, your health becomes terrible when you hit age 39. If you have either the skill or the items, your health becomes terrible at age 46. If you have both the items and the skill, your health does not become terrible until age 53. (This is based on data gathered by Loki.)
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might as well give you the whole aging scheme. There are seven health levels before you reach terrible. In descending order, they are excellent, fine, good, fair, poor, very poor, failing. Without the items or the skill, you spend three years at each level. With the items or the skill you spend four years at each level. And with both the items and the skill you spend five years at each level.

When you acquire the items, it is instantly as if you had had them from the beginning of the game - there is no lasting penalty for a delay in acquiring them.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland,
That is an EXCELLENT post! MOST informative, great job!
Very Happy
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to remind people that Sparticus played a game for almost 3300 years! Yes! His character was 3300 years old! Question for him- he was in failing health the last 3240 years??

Did you just keep chasing down Mendoza from all the cities being taken over? You must have chased him down and gone through the courtship routine at least 300 times!

I played a game until my character reached 80. I had so many Mendoza ships sailing around that one time I saw three of them on the same screen!
I finished with eight Ships of the Line!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: