Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Need help with installing on Windows 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulligey
Powder Monkey

164 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Need help with installing on Windows 8 Reply with quote

When trying to install the game on Windows 8, Pirates won't launch when installed. I double click on the icon and nothing happens. I tried installing the 1.02 patch, but then it says I need to put in Disc 2. I bought the game on a DVD so it is only one disc; I have no second disc to put in. Can anyone help me?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try inserting the one disk you have? Whatever key the program is looking for should be on there if it's the only disk.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, installing patches won't do anything for you. The patches came out in 2005 or there abouts, so any game that comes out now is already patched to 1.02. The disc version I initially bought in 2006 was patched to version 1.02. Since then I bought 2-3 cd/dvd discs and with life they get lost / damaged over time, so now I bought the steam version, only thing missing are the hippy mods.
Mulligey
Powder Monkey

164 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit the retry button, but it didn't like it. I also ejected the disc and put it back in and hit retry and it still didn't work.

When I install without patching and double click on the desktop, nothing happens. I have tried with compatibility for both Windows XP and 7 and it doesn't do anything.
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try navigating to the folder where the game is installed and double clicking on the Pirates!.exe file

I'm not sure where your game is installed; the exe file on my Windows 7 PC is in
c:\program files (x86)\Firaxis games\Sid Meier's Pirates!

Are you getting any error messages? If so, what is the EXACT wording in the error?
Mulligey
Powder Monkey

164 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I double click on Pirates!.exe, a window pops up asking if I want to allow the program to make changes to my computer. I say yes. the hourglass shows up next to my cursor for about half a second and then nothing happens. All of this is the same as when I double click the icon on the desktop. It is installed in C/program files(x86)/firaxis games/Sid Meier's Pirates
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried running it as an administrator? Go to the Pirates!.exe files and right click on it. Select run as administrator from the menu.
Mulligey
Powder Monkey

164 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that. it changes nothing. It even still asks if I want to allow the program to make changes.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no issues on both Windows 8 and Windows 10 - and my version on CD is from 2006 era. as is my Desktop.

On my New PC - bought early last year - I had an issue where it did something similar to what you have described.

I got around it by sharing my CD Rom from my old Desktop across my Network to my new PC - and installed and ran it that way - so it might have something to do with the new drive ( in my case ).

or as Loki said - try the Steam version.

or - you could try a no CD patch - as if you have the legit version and it is causing you grief - then I see no reason why not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: