Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Swashbuckler level in sword fighting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evasive Maneuvers
Swabbie

1479 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Swashbuckler level in sword fighting Reply with quote

it is still beyond me but i tryed a game on the swashbukler level just to see how its like. my sloop engaged a merchantman. my crew boarded immediatly as normal. i found it odd that a simple merchantmans captain was as hard as montalban on apprentice or a city raider(not pirate or indian) in journeyman. i easily won it but if merchants are that strong how do you manage warships.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed of the captains is all random. Everything is harder at swashbuckler, sometimes you'll get a faster captain, sometimes slower.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Swashbuckler level in sword fighting Reply with quote

Evasive Maneuvers wrote:
i easily won it but if merchants are that strong how do you manage warships.
covered in the thread "just keep thrusting"

1 - get all the fencing improving gear

2 - always use a rapier

3 - skill helps
jeff204vk
Cutthroat

529 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Swashbuckler level in sword fighting Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
always use a rapier

I don't think you have to use a rapier. I can beat any ship captain using a cutlass. I would say that on Swashbuckler level, use the sword that fits your style best.
Speedgolxc
Powder Monkey

9 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A message that can benefit the many members.
Sven Helgrim
Powder Monkey

227 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on Swashbuckler all the time and if I don't take fencing as my skill, then I have trouble with some of the faster captains when they use a rapier. I find that having the Perfectly Balanced Swords and the Fencing Shirt or Silk Shirt to be the best defense against these deadly swordsmen.

Also having a large crew can be helpful.

When I get old and slow, I try to get my hands on a nimble ship like the Royal Sloop, Sloop Of War, or anything in the pinnace class. You can chain shot a ship until you de-mast her and that ship will surrender. If it is one of the three Spanish Villains (i.e. Montalban, Raymundo, or Mendoza) you will still have to fight them. So use grape shot and circle around the ship until you can knock the crew down to a manageable level (i.e. crew of one), then board and fight. parry and use the Taunt if you can. This will disorient your opponant.

I have found that my crew dies faster if I use a rapier and slower if i use a cutlass. has anyone else experienced this?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 65 years young now and cannot win at Swash Level at all. My reflexes are way too slow. 10 years ago I won several games at Swash level and called it quits. It is just too fast for older people. I have not noticed a difference in casualty rates bases on which sword you use.
Most of my career I used a cutlass and counter-punched. About 8 years ago I switched to the rapier and went on offense. Both work. Rapier is usually faster.
Sven Helgrim
Powder Monkey

227 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutlass is the weapon of a true strategist.
Captain Dave
Powder Monkey

671 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven Helgrim wrote:
I play on Swashbuckler all the time and if I don't take fencing as my skill, then I have trouble with some of the faster captains when they use a rapier.

That's part of why I use the cutlass at Swashbuckler level.

I'd successfully used rapier up through Rogue. I'd use the dodge/parry and counterattack fencing style: could avoid the enemy's attacks even with a rapier and then batter them with slashes or chops on the counterattacks.

I tried using the rapier on Swashbuckler and found that I had the same problem as Sven with some of the rapier-armed captains, especially really early in the game before I had fencing items and then also late in the game when I was older. I also had a really tough time on Swashbuckler beating Montalban and the English CotG with a rapier, even with special items and fencing skill.

I was able to deal with all of those rapier-armed opponents at Swashbuckler with a cutlass, especially after I learned how to mix in some taunts to get and keep the advantage bar strongly in my favor. I can also counterattack to hit the cutlass-armed opponents well enough when using a cutlass myself that those are still easy wins. The wins against cutlass-armed opponents take a bit longer than if I used a rapier or longsword - more thrusts and fewer chops/slashes - but I still win pretty quickly.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206141 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you reach a certain age the game does add a stumbling or fumbling
handicap to simulate aging if using the keypad for dancing and fencing.
(Assuming not using a fencing Trainer cheat).

May not affect gameplay as badly using the mouse click on buttons instead.

https://sidmeierspirates.fandom.com/wiki/Fencing
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: