Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Punctuation in Character Name
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catzpaw101
Powder Monkey

109 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Punctuation in Character Name Reply with quote

Hi guys; new here. Really just came for the mods but I do have an issue that's vexing me and I couldn't find it with a site search....

How in the world do I type punctuation in my character name?

Some of the 4-digit alt codes for characters work but I can't type a period or comma after a letter as part of my character name. Any ideas or work-around?
fleetp
Boatswain

36002 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Welcome to Hooked on Pirates!
Can you show us an example of a character name you want to use, and tell us what language version of Windows (and version of Windows i.e XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10) you are using?
Catzpaw101
Powder Monkey

109 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure can, Fleet, and thanks for the welcome

Let's say I wanted to phonetically translate the cheering gibberish after boarding and name my character Jos H'Tal.... or go with initials and name the character something like D.B. Sweeney

How can I type the comma or period?
The game doesn't recognize those characters when I use just the keyboard.

I'm playing on Windows 7 (English)
fleetp
Boatswain

36002 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catzpaw101 wrote:
Sure can, Fleet, and thanks for the welcome

Let's say I wanted to phonetically translate the cheering gibberish after boarding and name my character Jos H'Tal.... or go with initials and name the character something like D.B. Sweeney

How can I type the comma or period?
The game doesn't recognize those characters when I use just the keyboard.

I'm playing on Windows 7 (English)

I also have Windows 7. It sure looks like the game won't permit use of punctuation characters. It might require a modified exe file.
Catzpaw101
Powder Monkey

109 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. Some sort of work-around, instructions on where and how to change the ini file. I figure if I've encountered the problem then someone smarter than me may have found a way around it.
Mandiuscreel
Seaman

3189 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a workaround.

Whatever name you want to have, spell it as close to your preference as you can, being sure to leave enough room for the actual name. To use your example, type Jos H Tal, leaving a space where the apostrophe goes.

Save your game.

Exit or Alt-tab out of the game, go to the Saves directory in the Fireaxis/Sid Meier's Pirates! program folder, open the appropriate save file with a hex editor, and change the name to suit yourself, then save the file. As long as you don't change the length of the file, it will open with your character's new name.
Catzpaw101
Powder Monkey

109 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandiuscreel wrote:
There's a workaround.

Whatever name you want to have, spell it as close to your preference as you can, being sure to leave enough room for the actual name. To use your example, type Jos H Tal, leaving a space where the apostrophe goes.

Save your game.

Exit or Alt-tab out of the game, go to the Saves directory in the Fireaxis/Sid Meier's Pirates! program folder, open the appropriate save file with a hex editor, and change the name to suit yourself, then save the file. As long as you don't change the length of the file, it will open with your character's new name.

Okay cool. I'm tracking. So the next step would be finding a freeware hex editor and figuring it out. I'm good with new projects. Thanks for the help.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with renaming ships. Some vessels have an apostrophe in their original names (e.g., Queen Anne's Revenge), but I cannot type an apostrophe into a ship's name if I rename it.
Mandiuscreel
Seaman

3189 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ship's name is in the save file. You should be able to use the same technique.
Catzpaw101
Powder Monkey

109 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
I have the same problem with renaming ships. Some vessels have an apostrophe in their original names (e.g., Queen Anne's Revenge), but I cannot type an apostrophe into a ship's name if I rename it.

Yep, have ran into that too. One of my favorite ship names is "Fortune's Wind" so that apostrophe is kinda important. But sometimes I'll run a name through an English to Latin, Spanish, or German translator and they come out just as cool but without the need for punctuation (due to language structure).

Thanks again for your help Mandiuscreel. It's the little things that make games like this fun
Mandiuscreel
Seaman

3189 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of assistance. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: