Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Another new author
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Another new author Reply with quote

I've published an e-book. Well, more of an e-novella. PM if you want the kind of info I can't post here without spamming.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tavern is the place to talk about anything you want, so a single link should not upset anyone.

It would be spamming only if you started a gazillion threads about it or brought it up in every conversation.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently we don't permit any posting of links to stuff for sale, myself and Captain Teague diligently delete the advertising posts when we see them.
This has worked well. Smile

I don't have a problem with how Mr. Blue advertised his work. I really don't want people posting links to stuff for sale here. Then we would get into the argument of who do we permit to post links to sale items, and who do we not.

I'd like to hear what our regular members think on this issue.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We post links to pirate-related books and movies routinely. As shown by the questions posted to the quiz thread, the interests of our little community go well beyond piracy or the 17th century or the Caribbean. Members have recently posted information about what is going on in our personal lives - weather, cruises, and (in my case) losing everything in a fire.

Publishing e-books would appear to be what is going on in the Blue household these days. I do not think posting about it crosses the spam line.

However, we do have other lines. I sent my thesis to some members (including Mr. Blue) by PM. I did not post it here because its subject matter might have been interpreted as crossing the no-religion-or-politics line (it was submitted for a theology degree at a seminary, and its subject matter was the political and religious background of the fifth-century ecumenical councils). Even though all of our regulars appear to be adults, we also generally keep things family friendly.

I would trust the mods to make case-by-case decisions. But I'm glad we are being asked for input on how to interpret and enforce the sites policies.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland brought up a good point. I personally don't have any heartburn about Mr. Blue telling us about his e-book.
I would have serious heartburn about him or anyone else posting a link to a page for people to buy something that they are selling.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... I've been building this nice little bridge lately, quite a big one actually, and I do need to find someone to own it . Laughing
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that we should _not_ allow sales pitches of eBay sales etc., but if someone has written a book (pirate or era related (17th/18th century) especially), I'd be very interested in learning about it. It is not necessary to post purchase links either as someone can find the book just by checking the title.

But, yes, it is kind of like trying to draw lines on water - or at least beach sand.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we are allowed to post book titles, even if we hold the copyright and technically would get money if someone bought it? Sounds a bit too close to marketing to me, but if Fleetp and Capt Teague say its OK I might change my mind about that.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends on whether the book has something to do with the forum. If someone wrote a pirate novel or a novel set in the 17th/18th century and posted about it here, I cannot see how it would not be considered "on topic". After all, we share book recommendations etc. as well.

Of course, I'd hope that the author is open about and not regress into guerrilla marketing and not be open about their own connection with the book ("oh, I read this absolutely fabulous book! Go and read it as well!").
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, revealing the topic should be allowed, so that people can decide whether to ask for more information or not...

If we just say "I wrote a book", it might be

... about baking cookies.
... about politics.
... about my professional field.
... about pirates.
... about my very sad life and how I conquered my insecurities and how that might be also helpful to you, although you are a completely different person and your problems are probably very different as well. ( Shocked )
... etc. etc.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it isn't 17th century or piracy. Its contemporary fantasy. If that puts it off limits, then its time to shut down the thread.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
Well, it isn't 17th century or piracy. Its contemporary fantasy. If that puts it off limits, then its time to shut down the thread.

Speaking as a moderator, I see no reason to shut down the thread. I think (hope) Captain Teague will agree with me.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me there is a noticeable difference between a member of the community showing us their new book, and a robot trying to sell us cheap Chinese shoes. I say post away.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
To me there is a noticeable difference between a member of the community showing us their new book, and a robot trying to sell us cheap Chinese shoes. I say post away.
Agreed.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on the assumption that I am not a Chinese robot, it is available at Amazon.com and called Death by Music.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: