Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Just keep thrusting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Fencing Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WendyBinCT
Powder Monkey

1231 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Just keep thrusting! Reply with quote

No, no, you naughty lads, that's not what I meant! Very Happy

I lost my first couple of sword fights because my opponents were incredibly quick, and I haven't yet mastered the various defensive and offensive maneuvers on the keypad.

My new strategy: just keep whacking #4. This may not work beyond Apprentice level, but for a newbie with one day (real time) of play, it's been a thrill to see two enemy captains jump overboard! And my son, watching the second duel, was very impressed with his Old Mom!

Arrr!
WendyB, aka Captain Owl of Owls Nest
The Lone Badger
Powder Monkey

212 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixing in some slashes and chops definitely helps, but I've got all the way to Rogue without using any defensive moves - I've got a rapier, all the fencing upgrades and fencing skill, so I almost always execute a move before them and hit them. Occasionally they hit me, which means I have to hit them another couple of times.
Vulture
Gunner

606 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best defense is good offense. Your thrust with a rapier is the fastest attack, All he can do is defend or thrust back. When you land a blow then go for the chop or cut his knees off with the slash. My favorite move is to faint the perry, he will taunt, and I immediately thrust. It lands nearly every time. Thats a quick 5-4 on the keypad in rapid sucsession. Too fast it fails, too slow it wont work, so a little practice is needed but its not hard to master the timing. A little harder move is to faint the slash and thrust when he swings back on the rope. This drills him good. Happy swashbuckling!

32 brightly polished cannons, a bottle o'rum, ahh..... a pirates life for me!
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the "special moves" - the hero doing a back flip or swinging on a rope to avoind an attack, you don't have to press a key to make a counter-attack, or a thrust, for you will perform one automatically - at least on Adventurer level.

To achieve a "special move" you merely have to press 8 or 2 as soon as you see the enemy draw back for the corresponding attack. You can practise this with the slower enemies rather easily...

I truly wish that Pirates! 2 will bring about a bit more complex duels with actual differences between the swords and their handling...
Carlos Lezama
Swabbie

464 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rapier thurst is the basic technique. Good at the start, when you have'nt got the balanced swords, the shirt and all that. However later in the game you'll need some advanced techniques, like reacting to enemy moves (if he makes a high slash, press "2" and later, thrust!, ect...) or just anticipate to him (with a rapier, if you both attack at the same time, you'll hit first). Also the "press #7 then #1" tech works nice, too...
The Lone Badger
Powder Monkey

212 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about feints until I read this thread - they're certainly effective!
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Just keep thrusting! Reply with quote

WendyBinCT wrote:
My new strategy: just keep whacking #4. This may not work beyond Apprentice level, but for a newbie with one day (real time) of play, it's been a thrill to see two enemy captains jump overboard! And my son, watching the second duel, was very impressed with his Old Mom!

Try #1 instead of #4. ONLY use the Rapier. This will work reliably all the way through level 4, The Red level. Rouge (That is Rogue for those who cannot spell like me.)

Really. Very few opponents will outlast you.

The problem with this technique is that you never learn how to swordfight. This makes level 5 a real Bear.

Of course the default skill (Swordfighting) helps too.
dalgo
Swabbie

668 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found continuously using the '1' key with the Rapier still works at Swashbuckler level. Admittedly I had the Fencing skill and all fencing items as well. The secret is to never let up the attack. I was able to win every battle until finally old age caught up with me.
Rock
Cutthroat

7607 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... This thread isn't EVEN what I thought (was hoping?) it was going to be about. Very Happy

Especially since someone with the moniker WendyB posted it!! Very Happy

ARRRRR! Those Penthouse forum stories NEVER HAPPEN TO ME!!! Evil or Very Mad

And just look at my pic <----- (sniff) I'm such a handsome pirate too Crying or Very sad

sorry... just having some fun.

All I ever do is go in with guns blazin' and blades flashin'!!

Niedzwiedz
Swabbie

1236 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Sorry, I had to post something after reading the thread.
RavenSaxbar
Powder Monkey

200 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of good tips in the Guide section at the top of the page. It seems to touch on all aspects of the game in the tips & tricks section. I agree with Repurtlittlebear
Quote:
The problem with this technique is that you never learn how to swordfight. This makes level 5 a real Bear.

It gives me a greater pride knowing that I beat Henery Morgan because my gunnery skills and fencing skills are better than his than the fact I can take advantage of a flaw in the game. Laughing

Last edited by RavenSaxbar on Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalgo wrote:
I've found continuously using the '1' key with the Rapier still works at Swashbuckler level. Admittedly I had the Fencing skill and all fencing items as well. The secret is to never let up the attack. I was able to win every battle until finally old age caught up with me.

Great tip.

Just stay clear of those Military Captains and Treasure Ships until you can get some of those nice fencing objects. Then you can go back to your old habbits of raiding Invasion Ships with only 30 people.
Angel
Seaman

1757 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMFAO!!! Methinks there's another saucy wench here abouts??? WOOO HOO!!! Very Happy

BTW - I like a quick 7-4-1 punch, myself.....
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulture wrote:
The best defense is good offense. Your thrust with a rapier is the fastest attack, All he can do is defend or thrust back. When you land a blow then go for the chop or cut his knees off with the slash. My favorite move is to faint the perry, he will taunt, and I immediately thrust. It lands nearly every time. Thats a quick 5-4 on the keypad in rapid sucsession. Too fast it fails, too slow it wont work, so a little practice is needed but its not hard to master the timing. A little harder move is to faint the slash and thrust when he swings back on the rope. This drills him good. Happy swashbuckling!

If you do a parry faint then a slash, I find if he thrusts before you land it, you will still block and then you will hit him
Avenstar
Swabbie

408 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Swashbuckler Reply with quote

Yes the thrusting strategy only works on the early difficulties. When your attack gets blocked, you can get stunned, which slows your responses significantly. It can get to a point where you can't even thrust through an opponent's long overhead swing.

I prefer reactionary combat. You duck/parry/dodge an opponent's attack, then quickly swing high/low with a double knockback one of your own.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: