Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Just keep thrusting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Fencing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Swashbuckler Reply with quote

Avenstar wrote:
Yes the thrusting strategy only works on the early difficulties.

This thread taught me that it also works at Swashbuckeler level.
Been using it to Swash.
Keep away from the tough captains (Military, Treasure ships, and some Smugglers) until you get the fencing special objects. When you can take out the Attractive Daughter's suitor, you are ready to take on anybody.

Use the rapier and this strategy works at the high level. Taking Fencing as the starting skill may also help.
Retired from first Swash at 126pts and 37 years old using this.
Pilo T
Swabbie

107 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalgo wrote:
I've found continuously using the '1' key with the Rapier still works at Swashbuckler level.

But where's the fun in that? Confused
Fab
Swabbie

866 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avenstar hit on my tactic perfectly. I never initiate anything. I wait for him to move, parry him, then thrust. It works great on all levels.

Trusting to the 4-4-4-4-4 "strategy" will only dull your skills so that if you ever do get to Swashbuckler level you will cry when you can't even beat the fat Dutch merchant captain even with good swords, armor, and a nice shirt.

Plus, getting in some different moves makes the action look more cinematic.
"My lord, it is a very hard sentence. For my part, I am the innocentest person of them all, only I have been sworn against by perjured persons." -- Captain Kidd, May 9, 1701, upon hearing his sentence of death by hanging.
Grimmelshausen
Cutthroat

1811 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time I use thrusting as a counterattack (after evading my opponent´s initial move) as well, with one exception: If he thrusts at me and I parry, my sword is in the exact position for a high slash. Fairly good timed, it´s a killer technique (at least up to Adventurer, and using the rapier helps as well).
Ruslan the pirate
Powder Monkey

154 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one good technique you should try. Push one of the attacking keys and then switch it before you finished the move. That can easily confuse the opponent. For example you push the "7" for slash and the opponent see it and sits down and then before you finished the move push for example "1" (thurst) and you will hit him while he is on the floor. He can't be so fast to sit down and then jump immedeatly ( almost never). But this technique can be dangerous when for example the opponent answers to your slash with his slash and when you starting with a slash and switching to a thurst- it takes a lots of time, so the opponent in this case will probably hit you. So this tehnique can be usefull in some cases, but not all the time. Try it with the feonces (how do you spell it?) or with the criminals in the bar, they responce really slowly, so you will have no problem with them. This is fun to make that move. By the way Moltaban uses this technique as well, in my last two-three battles with him he was going to slash and then he just stopped (how you can just stop your attack???) and I hit "2" to avoid his attack and he immeadiatly made another attack and in one of the two cases hit me. It is good attack folks! Try it. Wink
And dimonds are forever.
(Alphaville)
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupert, here is the thread you frequently refer to for fencing. One problem- too many different opinions listed here. Do you recommend pure offense using the "1" key? Is that how you win at Swashbuckler?
Salty Very Happy
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Rupert, here is the thread you frequently refer to for fencing. One problem- too many different opinions listed here. Do you recommend pure offense using the "1" key? Is that how you win at Swashbuckler?
Salty Very Happy
There is something mentioned about choosing your targets, about getting the fencing gear . . .

Even at Swash, if you have the gear, and the skill, all you need is 1
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I find that using the longsword or the cutlass, and actually using the defensive moves, works well. Sometimes you will get an automatic ripost. Other times, just thrust as you come out of the attack if you are using cutlass, or slash or chop if you are using longsword. This way you don't get your keister handed to you by somebody else using a rapier.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fossaman,
Have you scored 126 on Swashbuckler? That's my aim. I scored 105 but got old and could not beat Monty or the Jealous Fiance to the Beautiful Daughter so 105 was the best I could do. I've been playing defense like you - use a Rapier and counter everything that comes my way. I never lose on Rogue but Swash is harder. I want to take the final step and score 126 at Swash. When I play Rogue, I retire at age 32 to 36 with 126. I even played to age 80 at Rogue and still beat just about everyone using the Rapier/Defense techinique but at Swash that just won't cut it!
Salty Shocked
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On rogue level and up... I generally play the wait game... wait until the opponent attack then react... e.g. block the middle attack then follow by a low slash. Or jump up on the low attack then follow by a low slash.

For some odd reason, my experience with the head slash always seem to take a lot longer then the low slash... Is that the same experience you guys got?
Capt Peter Blackthorne
Cutthroat

1827 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For some odd reason, my experience with the head slash always seem to take a lot longer then the low slash... Is that the same experience you guys got?

Yes, definitely.

With tough opponents like the jealous fiance and annoying captain (the one who starts out with pistols), I think it works best to parry his thrusts with thrusts of my own. Parrying with a block can force you to take a step backward. Too much of that, and the next thing you know, you're out the window or meeting the ugly sister.

What has worked best for me is to keep thrusting until the other guy goes for a slash--either high or low. React with a jump or duck, and then counterattack with a low slash. If you time the jump or duck just right, you'll get the special move with the counterattack built in. Or, just wait until the last fraction of a second before you jump/duck, so that when you finish your move, the other guy is still recovering from the missed swing and your slash will hit him every time.
black_beard
Walking the plank

580 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best way 2 win is keep your cursor over the defense moves an when one of them lights up click it if your enemy thrusted u can thrust 4 a quick attack if he choped or used slash and u pressed the button that lit up u can use chop or slash using this technique u can finish a sword fight twice as fast and not get hit and taunt as much as u like using this ive took down a 300 man ship wih only a 40 man ship

hope i helped
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black_beard wrote:
the best way 2 win is keep your cursor over the defense moves an when one of them lights up click it if your enemy thrusted u can thrust 4 a quick attack if he choped or used slash and u pressed the button that lit up u can use chop or slash using this technique u can finish a sword fight twice as fast and not get hit and taunt as much as u like using this ive took down a 300 man ship wih only a 40 man ship

hope i helped

hmm... I don't use cursor at all... TOO SLOW. It is much easier to react and change move in the middle of the current move by using the keypad.

For example: You can press "2" key on the way up without completeing the jump up sequence. That is very useful when you "guess" the wrong oppenent's move. Plus, I don't know about you... but at least for me... moving the cursor... can be a headache if you overshoot the movement.

I have not lost one round of fencing since I switched to keypad over cursor. Give it a try... especially at the Swashbukler level.
black_beard
Walking the plank

580 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman wrote:
hmm... I don't use cursor at all... TOO SLOW. It is much easier to react and change move in the middle of the current move by using the keypad.

For example: You can press "2" key on the way up without completeing the jump up sequence. That is very useful when you "guess" the wrong oppenent's move. Plus, I don't know about you... but at least for me... moving the cursor... can be a headache if you overshoot the movement.

I have not lost one round of fencing since I switched to keypad over cursor. Give it a try... especially at the Swashbukler level.

different people prefer different ways but i say always keep your cursor or fingers on the buttons of defensive moves that way u can stun your enemy by blocking then when he is stunned go in 4 a attack

{Edited for proper quoting}
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need to bother with defence.

Attack fast enough and they loose.

All you need is speed, backed up by every item that increases speed.

Old age adds slowness to your attacks, so this starts to fail with age, but by then you should be ready to retire on your fortune.

Translation, sit on "1"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: