Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Just keep thrusting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Fencing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack sparrow842
Powder Monkey

86 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most agreed, at the higher levels of difficulty your strategy can mean the difference between a sack of swag and a month or two in the local prison.
just like in most close quarters combat games at the novise levels you can get away with being a cheep shot but once you reach the higher levels you need to step it up. in s.m.p. i sugest that you wait untill your enemy atacks then block and counter.

ps: its allways fun to get a low slash to the gut in on the enemy capt. after a sussfully ducked high chop Smile
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
You don't really need to bother with defence.

Attack fast enough and they loose.

All you need is speed, backed up by every item that increases speed.

Old age adds slowness to your attacks, so this starts to fail with age, but by then you should be ready to retire on your fortune.

Translation, sit on "1"

After spending the last 5 rounds in swashbukler level... I can definitely say "buy every armor, swords, shirt" available to you before you take on the jealous finance.

With the metal armor, you can prevent from being poke with the opponent's trust...

Also, because at that level... the finance, Mendoza, Monty or the like of Henry Morgan can change their attack in the middle... The best way to do it is... Jump up when they low slash (then if they change course... press "5" key)... that would suspend you in the air to defend. Crouch when the do the high slash (if they change course do low slash). I found those two additional sequence helped me tremedously. If you time your jump or crouch just right... doesn't matter they change course or not... you will smack them with your special moves ...

Good hunting my fellow pirates...
Very Happy
Anton
Powder Monkey

735 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fencing is fun, but it's costly...for me anyway.

When my current character was younger, I used the cutlass and never got hit.

As I got older, I was too slow to counter efficiently with the cutlass. Battles were taking a long time, which was fine in a one on one.

BUT.
It's no goodie goodie when your crew keeps on dying.

I had to switch ot the long sword in battles where numbers were close to even or I was outnumbered and I use the Rapier when I have the obvious advantage in numbers.

That way I can end the battle quicker, and save lives. Because after a while, stocking up your fleet 8 men at a time at every tavern you go to gets a little old. When yer young and dividing the plunder...you can recruit 40+ at a time, but that's not always the case when yer old.
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely fight with cutlass at the swashbukler mode when I am old... Unless, I am very inclined to see cutlass when doing the fancy movment.

For the most part, I use rapier... it is lighter and faster... with my character getting older later in the round... that becomes very crucial. I find myself having to block and attack... rather than trying to out slash my opponent.

I can't really tell the difference between long sword vs. rapier... since, once you get old... you become slow... the real difference still lies with cutlass vs long sword... or cutlass vs rapier.
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Being a swashbuckler you'd have problems with using thrust all the time. The enemy would get the bar red and slash faster than you thrust!
- That's why me be lovin' low-slashin'...

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I tried using the Rapier and the "Just Keep Thrusting" tactic against Monty, and he handed me a humiliating defeat. So I grabbed my trusty cutlass, tried again, and managed to win.

(That was on Adventurer level, at failing health, without any Fencing skill. Oh, I had all of the fencing gear, of course.)

I really think that defense is the key to the tougher fights. Yeah, using a rapier and pounding on the 4 key will get you a quick win over a Spanish merchant captain, but those guys are too lame for words. With an fast opponent, especially if he's using a Rapier himself (as Monty does), you really need a solid defense.

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
Karnik
Swabbie

3329 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipperyJim wrote:
you really need a solid defense.

I certainly do! Post-patch, and either vs. Monty or when I'm aged, I'm often doing a lot more defending than attacking.
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- When you you successfully avoid the attack, you get that bar in your favour, right?
- Now be gettin' the secrets of the cutlass...Arrrr!
- You may not even taunt. Marvellous! Winnin' those swordfights became easier on high levels...But still, attacks ARE slow.

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Fundamentals of fencing Reply with quote

Ok your constant attack idea only works on stupid merchant captains. I could defend and counter attack with ANY one in the game on Rogue. I did ok on swashbuckler doing this too the only problem was my men kept dying. With the fakes you need to time it just right. Perhaps I have a great sense of timing but I can do this. You have to wait for him to begin his forward swing. If you duck before then he could fake and get you.

Basic fundamentials

Don't defend until the attack starts comming in.

Don't counter attack until you know you've blocked the incomming attack. (It can be easy to jump the gun and attack before especially if your opponent is fast.)

If your opponent is really fast block one and taunt til he's a little easier to manage.

I just don't get the advantage to the constant attack when all you can take on is Merchant captains without having tons of gear to help you out. I don't even have the stupid fencing skill and I kick the crap out of them. I'll take navigation thank you very much

Plus when you dodge or block an attack it swings the advantage bar toward you. If you keep attacking and he dodges a few that advantage bar is going to go toward your opponent too much and even if you do beat him it will hurt your men quite a bit.

If they swing high, duck and then swing low. If they thrust parry then thrust. If they swing low jump and then swing high. On the swings I always go opposite of what they just did cause it seems to make it just a tiny tiny bit faster of an attack.

If anyone who can take on a military crew while at a signifcant disadvatage in numbers by constantly attacking without any of the items or the fencing skill. If you can't do that then its not nearly as effective as defending and countering because I've taken down fully loaded flag galleons with about 80 men on my royal sloop without firing a shot (from the cannons) on Rogue level.

Kirk Vollmer
Don't ever call me Captain Kirk.
Valparaiso University Alumni; Class of 2004
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Ha! You can always change a jump into a duck...This means "don't start defending" is for newbies. You defend from high slash, wait for the enemy to start attacking...
- If it be a high slash, counter. If not - change block and taunt. Be workin' excellent on me cutlass. Twisted Evil

DJ1
Cutthroat

11541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just keep thrusting! Reply with quote

WendyBinCT wrote:
No, no, you naughty lads, that's not what I meant! Very Happy

I lost my first couple of sword fights because my opponents were incredibly quick, and I haven't yet mastered the various defensive and offensive maneuvers on the keypad.

My new strategy: just keep whacking #4. This may not work beyond Apprentice level, but for a newbie with one day (real time) of play, it's been a thrill to see two enemy captains jump overboard! And my son, watching the second duel, was very impressed with his Old Mom!

Arrr!
WendyB, aka Captain Owl of Owls Nest

s it possible to loose a swordfight on Apprentice?

don't think so to be honest.. Smile
kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Losing on apprentice Reply with quote

Its possible but it takes a major major blunder like not reading the instructions thouroughly.

Ok the first time I loaded it up I hadn't read through the manual throughly (I had just browsed through it.) I figured out how to steer the ship but when I started a sword fight I couldn't figure out the controls and was just so freaked out that I didn't even bother to check the lower left hand corner of the screen and instead choose to start pressing random buttons. Of course I did get a few thrusts in but I couldn't figure out which of the 10 buttons I was pressing at 1 time did that.

Just before he poked me the final time I realised how it all worked by looking at the lower left hand corner. (As well as comming to the relisation that the num pad controls everyting). Didn't lose after that of course.

I now play on Rogue and beat a military crew with 140 men with 36 men of my own with no fencing skill or upgrades. (I'll take the upgrades but I don't need a stinking pantsy fencing skill)

Ok you can all laugh at my beginning stupidity if you can say you've never tried a game without reading through the entire manual (cover to cover)

Kirk Vollmer
DJ1
Cutthroat

11541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing on apprentice Reply with quote

kvollmer wrote:

Ok you can all laugh at my beginning stupidity if you can say you've never tried a game without reading through the entire manual (cover to cover)

Smile

I think all of us ws so excited when we got homw with the game that most people didnt read the manual..

I made many blunders to in the beginning. Especially in dancing!! Smile
kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Manual Reply with quote

I typically browse through the manual while I'm installing a game. The thing is, no matter how well you read the manual your eventually going to have to learn a lot just by doing it. More often then not after I've played the game a bit I will look stuff up in the manual or go and just read the manual for the sake of it.

Its useful if a game has a good tutorial. (Medieval Total War and Rome Total War come to mind). Apprentice is sort of a tutorial but lacks any clear direction.

The only thing I don't like is when a game (Like Pirates) forces you to play on the easiest level or do the tutorial when you install it. I had to reinstall Pirates and Rome total war when I got my new computer. On pirates I had to start and apprentice game and immediatly quit it. (Before I had my first mate's touge removed for constantly asking me about where we were going.) On Rome it was worse cause I had to go through a 40 minute tutorial when I already knew how to play. Its kind of like sitting in a Finance class when a senior business student asks what the dividend tax is. Oh wait I've already done that!

Kirk Vollmer
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waves hands enthusicatically

"Read Me"
"Read Me"
"Read Me"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next