Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

PATCH!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangebeard
Cutthroat

4436 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FINALLY caught Raymondo in a tavern last night; I finished dancing in Caracas and was told that Raymondo was hiding in Caracas; Cha-Ching!

I go to the tavern; the barkeeper takes me to Raymondo; He is standing on the second floor (not running like most criminals), shouts some typical Raymondo gibberish and then a game crash. Reloaded from "arrival"; danced with the daughter, but this time Raymondo was in Villa Hermosa.

Has anyone ever successfully dueled Raymond in the tavern?

Possible game bug? I have never had a game crash in Pirates! before.
With nothing in sight to keep me warm!
bryce777
Gunner

652 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moussaillon wrote:
Hi,

I dont think this issue has been discussed in this thread:
on my comp, and on many others according to what I read on the internet, the game crashes VERY often.
I mean on 2 saved games, I cant simply play. The game gets loaded and then it crashes, back to the desktop.
I think this is related to something to display in the scenery, because it always crashes at the same time.

This makes the game implayable and so far, I have thrown away 60 EUR for a game I cant play to at all.

The concerned configs are:
Panasonic R2B:
Pentium M 1000
Intel i855GM
40 Gb toshiba hdd
512 mb ram
win xp pro sp1 all updates done except sp2, drivers up to date as well

Panasonic W2C:
Pentium M 1100
Intel i855GM
60 Gb hitachi hdd
512 ram
xp pro sp1 up to date, sp2 not applied, drivers up to date

Please get me out of that annoying issue :'(

Youa re not going to be able to play with most integrated video cards. You need nvidea or radeon card to really play.
moussaillon
Powder Monkey

85 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryce777 wrote:
moussaillon wrote:
Hi,

I dont think this issue has been discussed in this thread:
on my comp, and on many others according to what I read on the internet, the game crashes VERY often.
I mean on 2 saved games, I cant simply play. The game gets loaded and then it crashes, back to the desktop.
I think this is related to something to display in the scenery, because it always crashes at the same time.

This makes the game implayable and so far, I have thrown away 60 EUR for a game I cant play to at all.

Panasonic R2B:
Pentium M 1000
Intel i855GM
40 Gb toshiba hdd
512 mb ram

Panasonic W2C:
Pentium M 1100
Intel i855GM
60 Gb hitachi hdd
512 ram

Youa re not going to be able to play with most integrated video cards. You need nvidea or radeon card to really play.

actually when the game is kind enough to be running, 640x480 with min options is real ok. not very nice but works fine.

i think there are no other ways than waiting for the patch Sad

thanks anyway Wink
Zykhan
Powder Monkey

10 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: I have to agree Reply with quote

[quote="TLG"]Here is my suggestion list for the patch :

An option to skip combat cut scenes : The player should be able to choose to see them over and over... or not.

If your talking about what im thinking about (jumping onboard, celebrating the victory, etc) You can skip the cut scenes by hitting enter or the mouse buttons.

Hidden treasures should offer at least 8000 gold : The last one I dig revealed 4000 pieces of gold which is not enough given the time spent to get all the map pieces, locate the exact location and get in there. Plus you have to pay 400 gold for each piece of the map and feed your crew to get in there. Does not sound like much like a bargain to me in its present state.

Preach on!! Its aggrivating to sail around buying map pieces (if you cant tell where it is right off) and I get 2000 pieces.

More variety in the naming of the villains & ships A text file to edit would be nice.
Yeah

New features

Turbo mode in ‘‘international waters’’ : Because sailing in the middle of nothing for ages is not the best part of the experience. Just speed up the game and calculate the time elapsed accordingly.

Please!!!

I hope my quote actually shows up this time....
Sundog
Swabbie

467 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: PATCH!!! Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
Ok news has been stated and the patch is being worked on ... I need your help to clear some of these things up and see if anyone can get what is asked to be repeated please

I'm just curious, where was this news actually stated? I've been checking the Firaxis and Atari sites and haven't seen any official news about a patch (unless I missed it). The only place that mentions a patch is here. Is there any place where they discuss what the patch is fixing?

It's good news, but IMO Pirates! has been one of the most problem free games I've played in years, so any patch at all is going to make a great game even greater.
Zerodivider
Powder Monkey

34 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wish I could get this game to run... (loved the original when I was a teen...) Sad .
Got the special edition DVD, after installation all I get is a black screen, game won't start...

Specs:
Sony Vaio VGN A115M
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0)

Motherboard
CPU Type Mobile , 1200 MHz (6.5 x 185)
1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Typ AMI (06/07/04)

ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200 (Omega 2.5.67) (64 MB)
ATI M9+X

Harddrive: IC25N060ATMR04-0 (60 GB, 4200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
DVD - Drive: MATSHITA UJ-820D

I have read all the other threads involving laptop issues, but had no problems with running Doom 3 with high resolution and details... Can't believe that Pirates is such a troublemaker...
firstnoel
Powder Monkey

50 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: I've noticed the slow down during ship battles Reply with quote

Machine Spec:
nVidia nforce2 chipset
AMD 3000+
512MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9200SE (best I could get for free)
Video drivers 6.14.10.6490

It's not all the time, I notice it more when I'm near a shoreline. Maybe the extra graphics of waves crashing or something. I'm not sure.

I've also experienced a minor bug, I come ashore once, the screen flickered, then I saw all my men standing out in the middle of the ocean. I did a "return to ship", then it was fine. I've only seen that once though.

Firstnoel
Corsican
Swabbie

944 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these fixes would be great but my main fix would be to make the game play on a laptop with Intel integrated graphics!!! I mean how intense are the graphics on Pirates!, really?? I can run Return to Wolfenstien, Half-Life, etc...all titles with rich graphics yet I can only get Pirates! to run on my destop. Are the graphics in Pirates! deceivingly "rich"???
Javi
Cutthroat

2778 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you fight against another ship near to a city that hates you, the canons of the fortress SHOULD fire to you...

It´s ridicolous that before you attack the ship, the fortess shoot you, but, JUST when you attack one ship in front of it, the fortress seems to prefer not to disturb you while you´re plundering a ship of its country...
whitehand
Powder Monkey

27 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Spyglass bug Reply with quote

I don't know if anybody experienced this before, but here's what happens to me:
When I'm on land, if I turn my spyglass on and then board the ship back (or just forget to turn it off before I choose "return to ship"), my spyglass is still left on the screen(still works though) when the view changes to the sailing view and the game slows down to a crawl. Because there's no spyglass option on the sailing view, the only way to get rid of this situation is to re-land on the shore and turn off the spyglass.

My Pirates! version is 1.0.0.0 (16296) special edition DVD, American.
cyberops
Swabbie

3370 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly the patch doesnt fix that much regarding the most things i been reading about here, i been testing this patch myself but all it really does is fixes some very minor bugs that you hardly ever notice or probably never at all, and the patch changes some of the major gaming code. Is the patch worth to get it , yes it is because even the minor fixes are better then no fixes. If you want more then i suggest to wait till the patch is out and get the Master Expansion which will make the game even better.
firstnoel
Powder Monkey

50 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Spyglass bug Reply with quote

whitehand wrote:
When I'm on land, if I turn my spyglass on and then board the ship back (or just forget to turn it off before I choose "return to ship"), my spyglass is still left on the screen(still works though) when the view changes to the sailing view and the game slows down to a crawl. Because there's no spyglass option on the sailing view, the only way to get rid of this situation is to re-land on the shore and turn off the spyglass.

I've noticed that too, it took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on, but now that's the first thing I Check whenever the game seems to slow down.
Black Dog
Powder Monkey

44 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spyglass bug Reply with quote

whitehand wrote:
Because there's no spyglass option on the sailing view, the only way to get rid of this situation is to re-land on the shore and turn off the spyglass.

Yes I've noticed that the spyglass slows things down to a crawl, sometimes I use that feature to slow me down so I can look around for Mendoza.

NOTE: You can turn the spyglass on and off at sea by right-clicking the mouse. You don't have to land.

Stella
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spyglass bug Reply with quote

whitehand wrote:

My Pirates! version is 1.0.0.0 (16296) special edition DVD, American.

Right mouse click will turn on/off the telescope while sailing.
Black Dog
Powder Monkey

44 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moussaillon wrote:
<snip - game crashing>
Panasonic R2B:
Pentium M 1000
Intel i855GM
40 Gb toshiba hdd
512 mb ram

Panasonic W2C:
Pentium M 1100
Intel i855GM
60 Gb hitachi hdd
512 ram

Looks like you have the dreaded intel graphics bug. Luckily, this is the only I bug I know a work-around for, at least it has worked for numerous people with laptops running Intel Exteme graphics chips, including myself.

I know it sounds crazy but try turning the game graphics settings to FULL detail (the water slider probably won't let you but the other sliders object and world(?) - turn them up full). Enable trilinear filtering if you can.

Swordfighting will be slooooooooow. But I can play for hours without a crash. With the details set on low or medium - 5 minutes and then a crash.

Worth a try, anyway.

Stella
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: