Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

PATCH!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spatula Grinder
Powder Monkey

72 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Anyone else crash when entering ship battles? Reply with quote

It didn't start happening until I had a good 10 hours of gameplay under my belt. Sometimes when I enter a ship battle this is what happens:

I see the wind and ships begin to move, but in less than 1/2 second the screen freezes. I can still move my mouse, but I can't do anything. I've waited as long as 5 minutes for the screen to unfreeze, but it never does.

I can't even Control-Alt Delete so I have to simply reboot my computer. I can go hours without it happening, then maybe it will happen 5 out of the next 10 battles. It's gotten to the point where it isn't really worth playing this game anymore.

The best I can correlate is that is happens alot when I'm transporting a governor or immigrants to another city and I attack multiple ships one right after another. Also it seems to happens when I approach a ship at high speed then hit attack. The problem is getting steadily worse, but I can't really figure out the method to the madness. I've tried changing my settings, and I even reinstalled the whole game.

I have searched this forum for others who have this problem and haven't found anyone, so maybe it's something to do with my computer.

Any input or similar experiences?
WaxonWaxov
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO what's the current status of a patch, or better yet, EXPANSION of the game?
Gorik
Powder Monkey

66 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: PATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

ftp://ftp.atari.com/patches/pirates/Pirates_101_US.exe
RAM: 256 MB PC133
H/D: 10 GB, 20GB
CD-ROM: WAITEC ALADAR1
AUDIO: CT8550
VIDEO: VOODOO 5500 AGP 64 RAM bios 1.18
Zem
Gunner

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paaaaatch! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgggh!
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice list of fixes, we have here:

Fix/Change List for v1.0.1 patch
[FIX] - Privateer crash where they had an invalid "home" and could not return.
[FIX] - Return NumLock state to whatever it was prior to game start.
[FIX] - Montalban map unaccessible from arrows.
[FIX] - "Terminator guy" player character on Intel graphics chipsets.
[FIX] - Crew will no longer be seen swinging from ropes in dueling when eliminated.
[FIX] - Treasure replay lists 1000 less gold.
[FIX] - With rank, no bounty appears in status screen.
[FIX] - Wrong color shirt in promotion replays.
[FIX] - Just because it annoyed me, all occurrances of "Treasuer" in log.cpp have been changed to "Treasure"
[FIX] - Barmaid - men in settlement.
[FIX] - Load/Save button enabled in port after loading arrival save.
[FIX] - Landmarks can disappear when two maps share same one.
[FIX] - Treasure map - no X.
[FIX] - You can still view treasure map after retrieving treasure but before returning to ship.
[FIX] - Wrong ordinals for PC in top ten pirates list and retirement screen.
[FIX] - Landmarks spawn under cities/not visible.
[FIX] - Leaving Panama/Gran Granada jail leaves player stuck.
[FIX] - Can't reassign left and right for nav (keymap.ini). Or SeaBattle, for that matter.
[FIX] - Player can walk off the right edge of the map when on land.
[FIX] - If lost relative mission and Montalban mission both enabled and you complete the relative mission, the Montalban mission button is not visible on the menu.
[FIX] - Bartender resets upgrade at shipwright.
[FIX] - Reefs did not damage player's ship in SB.
[FIX] - Camera clip in dance (Spanish ballroom).
[FIX] - Treasure fleet respawn issues.
[FIX] - Possible crash when trying to access one of the functions of DirectX before it was initialized.
[FIX] - Sea Nav: Port, Negative -2420 soldiers appear.
[FIX] - When firing grape or chain shot at the end of a ship battle, the sounds continue to loop in sailing.
[FIX] - Timing of dance help flash is earlier.
[FIX] - Land Battle exploit.
[FIX] - No food/no mutiny exploit.
[FIX] - Top 10 Pirates in wrongly named ships.
[FIX] - Water geometry not updated properly when scaling changes.
[CHANGE] - Sped up land battle animations.
[CHANGE] - Bar duels now more difficult - based on rank.
[CHANGE] - Dance rating modified by difficulty.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that (in addition to changes I mentioned in the Home page news), we may finally be able to actually track down and capture the treasure fleet!

Also, the keypad.ini issue should help us laptop users (although I got rather used to holding down the Fn key while playing).

Another good one is the treasure map changes: no longer landmarks hidden under towns and settlements, no longer missing X's, no longer disappearing landmarks.

I have no idea what the "land battle exploit" is, however... Confused
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm complaining as it seems like they have fixed some problems. But we are still faced with the endless encounters with Raymondo and his stupid cousins, Montalbon and the idiot Pirate want a be Mendozas. And all those Mr. Chatterly's or whatever his name is that run all over the place committing crime after crime... Laughing Laughing Laughing

I guess I'm just making a joke here Confused . It will be good to see the patch... However if there is now a MAN barmaid I think I'll play the game unpatched..... Neutral Mr. Green Twisted Evil
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that these bugs were really a top priority for the patch to fix, since some of them were very game-breaking in nature.

Now, we can always hope for another patch later on that alleviates some of our other pains, or at least gives us a chance to enter more names for the criminals for the game to randomly choose from... It would also not hurt us if any future patches (I cannot believe I'm already talking about further patches here!) developed some of the game areas a bit further (separate broadsides in sea battles, more henchmen for Montalban etc.).
WaxonWaxov
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
[FIX] - No food/no mutiny exploit.

Does that include the 2000 gold per crew member/ no mutiny. If so, thats SUCKS

Wolfwood wrote:
[FIX] - Just because it annoyed me, all occurrances of "Treasuer" in log.cpp have been changed to "Treasure"

log.cpp

hmmmm... is this the captain's log? If so how do I find it?
SuperCutless
Swabbie

190 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I gave the game a shot with the new patch, went ashore to test out the "faster" land battle. What i discovered is that the land battle is a bit faster, but instead of going from a pinto to a ferrari it went from a pinto to a VW bus.......instead of going from 0-60 in 1 minute it now only takes 55 seconds.....they need to allow those of us that dont want to wait for our pirates to run up a hill to cut out the animation and move the battle at a higher speed.......
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperCutless wrote:
Well...I gave the game a shot with the new patch, went ashore to test out the "faster" land battle. What i discovered is that the land battle is a bit faster, but instead of going from a pinto to a ferrari it went from a pinto to a VW bus.......instead of going from 0-60 in 1 minute it now only takes 55 seconds.....they need to allow those of us that dont want to wait for our pirates to run up a hill to cut out the animation and move the battle at a higher speed.......

What Patch? (As in "It Ain't Patched.")
http://www.firaxis.com/company/gamefeedback.php
SuperCutless
Swabbie

190 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh....
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice patch. Good thing I'm leaving tomorrow or I'd be stuck at home for another 2 weeks doing nothing but playing Pirates! (Which doesn't sound that bad, come to think of it Wink)

SirMac
Swabbie

549 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm - and what about the mysterious crashing problems several people (including me) had when starting the game?
Anything new about that???

Sir Mac
cyberops
Swabbie

3370 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously recommend everyone to wait with using that patch as there are very serious problems with it, specially if your running windows xp. Firaxes don't even support the patch right now that is also why they don't have it available on the official pirates website at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: